Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch a Cure Starvation
My son and I fished the Catch a Cure at Starvation last weekend. It was our first open water tournament. What a well ran event for a great cause. I would highly recommend if you have any interest in fishing a tournament, to do this one. The organization, people and gathering where top notch. We fished the walleye side and did surprisingly well for a couple rookies. We ended up catching between 20-25 walleye, and only could manage a weigh in bag of 4 legal (12”) fish. I’m not sure where we placed, but I’m thinking somewhere around the middle. In this tournament, the winners donate their prize money back to the charity, camp Hobe. That is a retreat for family’s that are dealing with a child that has cancer. I would highly recommend doing this event if you are even slightly interested and have an extra $125 that you can donate to Camp Hobe. I think we are going to fish in the Classic in September. That ought to be a humbling experience.
Thanks for letting us know about the event. I was not aware of it
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's cool, if I had a boat I'd like to try a tourney like that.
That sounds fun and for a noble cause. How big were the winning fish? Any idea why the walleye run so small there?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(07-02-2022, 04:33 PM)catchinon Wrote: That sounds fun and for a noble cause. How big were the winning fish? Any idea why the walleye run so small there?

The reason a lot of them are so small is because the eyes reproduce really well there and so that means there are a lot of small ones. The results of any tournament there will prove they have some decent big fish being caught, some over 30 ".
Yeah, there are for sure some really large ones in there, but they are far and few between right now. They do spawn well but there is also not much prey fish available, so they are stunting. In this tournament, the big fish went 3 ish pounds. Nobody really found any fish of any size. 6 fish bags were coming in at 5 pounds- so a bunch of 12” fish. It was fun though
(07-02-2022, 07:51 PM)MACMAN Wrote: Yeah, there are for sure some really large ones in there, but they are far and few between right now. They do spawn well but there is also not much prey fish available,  so they are stunting. In this tournament, the big fish went 3 ish pounds. Nobody really found any fish of any size. 6 fish bags were coming in at 5 pounds- so a bunch of 12” fish. It was fun though

That is too bad, it really does show a down turn but in past years the big fish in any tournament there would be 7 or 8 lbs.
(07-02-2022, 10:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 07:51 PM)MACMAN Wrote: Yeah, there are for sure some really large ones in there, but they are far and few between right now. They do spawn well but there is also not much prey fish available,  so they are stunting. In this tournament, the big fish went 3 ish pounds. Nobody really found any fish of any size. 6 fish bags were coming in at 5 pounds- so a bunch of 12” fish. It was fun though

That is too bad, it really does show a down turn but in past years the big fish in any tournament there would be 7 or 8 lbs.

For years we kept our 5th wheel down there, caught some nice perch and walleye, especially liked fishing the eyes after dark, then the fishery started going down hill size wise, same thing happened years ago when they went thru a cycle. Since the Dollar Ridge fire we havent fished it.
(07-03-2022, 12:37 AM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 10:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

For years we kept our 5th wheel down there, caught some nice perch and walleye, especially liked fishing the eyes after dark, then the fishery started going down hill size wise, same thing happened years ago when they went thru a cycle. Since the Dollar Ridge fire we havent fished it.
Do you think the fire brought a bunch of contaminants into the lake that were harmful to the fish?