Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3d printed planer board (can you help me improve it)
I am a old member who just came back after about 12 years or so. Smile

I designed a 3d printed planer board.  I currently only have a left one designed.  It worked okay on Willard today but I think the wind and waves greatly affected it.  I did catch a walleye on it.  

I can provide the 3d model to anyone who wants it.  I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't have much weight, I'm going to put a place to tape pennies in to tune the board. It requires two easy to get parts, a bicycle spoke and a bike inner tube. 

I will also print and give out a couple if you don't have access to a printer. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfnEk_HpDQom...MyMTA2M2Y=

[Image: FB-IMG-1656977891198.jpg]
(07-05-2022, 12:18 AM)Pennyfarmer2 Wrote: I am a old member who just came back after about 12 years or so. Smile

I designed a 3d printed planer board.  I currently only have a left one designed.  It worked okay on Willard today but I think the wind and waves greatly affected it.  I did catch a walleye on it.  

I can provide the 3d model to anyone who wants it.  I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't have much weight, I'm going to put a place to tape pennies in to tune the board. It requires two easy to get parts, a bicycle spoke and a bike inner tube. 

I will also print and give out a couple if you don't have access to a printer.  

When I saw you were trying to get back on the site I sent you a couple of email, offering my help, if you are interested I can get your old username back for you? 
Nice planer board, looks like a Church brand planner board that I use. So you used a 3D printer to make it? Hard to believe it's been that long since you were last on the site.
I don't need my old name. I don't have access that email.
Life has happened and it is finally getting sorted.

Yes I used a church board to model it after. But the line attachments required a little thought. I will eventually publish the model on a free 3d printing site. I just need more field tests.

They take about 4 hours to print.
Couple of things I found interesting with your design, one is the forward clip, hard to tell how well the release works from a pic but if you wanted to modify it, I would suggest using a down rigger release clip in it's place. Second is the back release, I like that, would be interested in seeing how that works because a friend had his break and I'd loved to be able to help him fix it or tell him how he can fix it. Looks to me like you have a great design there. I've had my church planer boards for close to twenty years now and I love them, I've never had a problem with them other than the small ones don't work well in big waves. Is there anything I can do to see that rear pin design I'd love to see how you made it?
[Image: 20220704-200145.jpg]

[Image: 20220704-200212.jpg]

[Image: 20220704-200227.jpg]

[Image: 20220704-200247.jpg]

The rear holder is made from a bicycle spoke.  There is a small clip that holds it shut.
The release is like a super strong paper clip.  I use a inner tube to add clamping power.  You just pull the line in further to increase the grip. I was going to use commercial release clips but it seems that is the most expensive part.  Plus it is fun to solve the problem for a fraction of the cost. 

They cost less than a $1 to make.  If I can fine tune the design then it is a benefit to everyone.
OK, I see how you made it but it looks like I won't be able to fix my friends board. One thing I love about the original design, is the quick release design of that back pin. Thanks for posting the pics.
It is kind of quick release. But it isn't as easy as the original. I tried to think of a way to make it the same, think I might be able to use a pen spring but I haven't thought about how to make the keeper.
Always room for improvement.
I think they sell replacement pins.
I made some improvements. Better clamp since I broke the last one. I added a slot to add weight and tune the board.
[Image: 20220705-080013.jpg]
(07-05-2022, 02:09 PM)Pennyfarmer2 Wrote: I made some improvements.  Better clamp since I broke the last one. I added a slot to add weight and tune the board.
[Image: 20220705-080013.jpg]

Have you considered The adhesive wheel weights they use on aluminum wheels. They are flat and can easily be cut to size and the paper on the back peals off to allow the adhesive to stick to anything. Looking at your design I think they would be the cats meow for you. you could check them out at your local truck stop.
Great idea. Thanks

[Image: 20220705-220520.jpg]

Made another version.  The other one ran well today with no weight.  But I'm going to add some to see if it works better.
Sheesh, I've got a seemingly endless supply of tire tubes for ya. Seems like I'm putting a new one on my kids' daily. Probably could donate a few spokes to ya also. Maybe try making one with two cavities. One for flotation towards the top, one for weight towards the bottom. That should give you options to tune them a little better.
The orgional one did not have any weight, I'd be careful adding weghts because it could just sink it, if you stop for any reason or slow down.
(07-06-2022, 01:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The orgional one did not have any weight, I'd be careful adding weghts because it could just sink it, if you stop for any reason or slow down.

If you have a hollow cavity in the back like the picture of the one with the pennies only larger and put a piece of Styrofoam in the top half and weight in the bottom it will keep it upright and afloat when stopped and plane in a true vertical position.
Bag the pennies, use stick on wheel weights. Any tire store has them, the weight is marked, and they are self stick !! Pennies will fall out and you will have to replace them regularly. This is a great idea !!! Aren't computers great !! (Sometimes)
I ordered some wheel weights. I will share what happens.
One thing about the flotation. These float very well, it would take quite a bit to sink it. The core is 85% hollow.
I am willing to print some and let people mess with them if you share your experience.
This is not a money thing, I will release the 3d model to the internet for free.
Those look like great planer boards. Ive never used any before so I'm not sure I could help you out with trying them and giving feedback. Plus I don't have printer even for paper lol....
@mooseman75 if you fish Willard much I can give you one. I have been printing them and making changes.

This picture is what the core looks like.
[Image: 20220706-173249.jpg]
(07-05-2022, 02:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: OK, I see how you made it but it looks like I won't be able to fix my friends board. One thing I love about the original design, is the quick release design of that back pin. Thanks for posting the pics.

I changed the line keeper.  Here is what I did.  It uses a ball point pen spring.  

[Image: 20220706-194537.jpg]

[Image: 20220706-194544.jpg]
Great new mod on the rear release. I'd be willing to meet you at Willard to give it a try, just can't be today.
(07-07-2022, 07:43 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great new mod on the rear release. I'd be willing to meet you at Willard to give it a try, just can't be today.

I only have one like that right now.  I well be getting done shootings tomorrow.  I don't know when you normally go but I might not be able to go until Friday or Saturday.