Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek Kokanee Regulation.
So can anyone confirm that the kokes in LC follow the trout limits?  3 under 15" one over 22".  Not that there's any in there that big just curious.
Also are still locking the gate till 6am?
TIA
That is a good question.
Following?
2022 Guidebook Wrote:#1: At Strawberry Reservoir, Scofield Reservoir, Lost Creek Reservoir and Panguitch Lake, you may not fillet trout and salmon, and you may not remove their heads or tails while in the field or in transit.

#2: Lost Creek Reservoir, Morgan County •Limit 4 trout (a combined total). •No more than 3 trout may be under 15 inches. •No more than 1 trout may be over 22 inches. •All trout between 15 and 22 inches must be immediately released. •Trout and salmon may not be filleted, and their heads or tails may not be removed in the field or in transit. •CLOSED to fishing 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily.

#3: •Note: Kokanee salmon are considered to be part of the total trout limit. Anglers may not possess kokanee salmon at any waterbody statewide from Sept. 10 through Nov. 30.

#4: Trout means species of the family Salmonidae, including rainbow, albino, cutthroat, brown, golden, brook, lake/mackinaw, kokanee salmon, and grayling or any hybrid of the foregoing. Trout does not include whitefish or Bonneville cisco.
I would say from all of the above from the 2022 Guidebook, that the kokanee in Lost Creek are considered part of your 'trout' limit and you may NOT keep any kokanee between 15" and 22".  I am not aware of any gates at Lost Creek, but the rules explicitely state you can't fish between 10 PM and 6 AM.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
There are Kokanee in Lost Creek that are over 15".
We caught one on Monday.
obifishkenobi Wrote:
ReelMasta Wrote:So can anyone confirm that the kokes in LC follow the trout limits?  3 under 15" one over 22".  Not that there's any in there that big just curious.
Also are still locking the gate till 6am?
TIA

There was a string  earlier this year discussing this exact topic and someone contacted DNR who said the slot dose not apply to Kokanee and that the rules are the same as Strawberry/
Yes wiperhunter2 contacted the DWR. They confirmed kokanee were not part of the slot. But Lost Creek has a different slot than strawberry. All trout (rainbow, cutthroat, spake and tiger) are subject to the slot and cannot be kept if they are between 15 and 22 inches.
I just got off the phone with the DWR Ogden office.
I asked about Kokanee and the slot limit at Lost Creek.
I was told that at Lost Creek, the Kokanee are classified with Trout and therefore are part of the limit and regulation that requires the release of fish that are within the slot.
A daily limit is 4 total, including Kokanee is in affect there.

I asked about other waters like East Canyon and Flaming Gorge.
The answer that I got was that Kokanee are not held to any slot size at these waters.
ONLY at Lost Creek.
However, Kokanee are listed as part of your limit of Trout at these waters.

Now to make it even more complicated, Porcupine has a completely different limit for Kokanee.
Daily limit there right from the Proc.

"Limit 12 Trout and Salmon, only 4 may be Rainbow, Cutthroat or Brown Trout.
[a combined total] To take 12 fish, you must possess at least 8 Salmon."

Hope this helps.

One more thing.
As of the 2022 Proc, Kokanee Salmon are now part of the total Trout limit.
This is why the slot on Kokanee at Lost Creek is in affect this year.