Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful day at Willard........
......... except for the wind  Dodgy .  

I was figuring that today would be a good day, with hopefully all (or most) the 4th weekenders cleared out.  And my 0815 a.m. arrival at the south marina confirmed that with only 4 other rigs in the lot. 

Got out on the water, lines baited, and drift set about 0840.  Wind was maybe 10-12 mph, but it wasn't too bad, had me drifting between .75 and 1.0 mph, and there were ZERO bugs,  yay !    

Had 2 or 3 hit and bait strips in first 15 minutes.  Then a hard hit and run I was able to get to the net and into the boat for photo op and a quick release.  

I swear, the second I released that kitty, the wind picked up to what I would guess at about close to 20 mph, water was white capping. I was only a short way out from the south marina channel, but wind was blowing from about SSW, pushing me away towards the north.  As the wind didn't seem to be calming, I decided to head for the marina and protected water. 

Sat tied to the dock awhile, but 2 other boats (bigger than me) came in so decided it was time to call it done for the day. 

[Image: 032-6-July-2022.jpg]      [Image: 033.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(07-06-2022, 06:58 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: ......... except for the wind  Dodgy .  

I was figuring that today would be a good day, with hopefully all (or most) the 4th weekenders cleared out.  And my 0815 a.m. arrival at the south marina confirmed that with only 4 other rigs in the lot. 

Got out on the water, lines baited, and drift set about 0840.  Wind was maybe 10-12 mph, but it wasn't too bad, had me drifting between .75 and 1.0 mph, and there were ZERO bugs,  yay !    

Had 2 or 3 hit and bait strips in first 15 minutes.  Then a hard hit and run I was able to get to the net and into the boat for photo op and a quick release.  

I swear, the second I released that kitty, the wind picked up to what I would guess at about close to 20 mph, water was white capping. I was only a short way out from the south marina channel, but wind was blowing from about SSW, pushing me away towards the north.  As the wind didn't seem to be calming, I decided to head for the marina and protected water. 

Sat tied to the dock awhile, but 2 other boats (bigger than me) came in so decided it was time to call it done for the day. 

Nice job Forrest. At least you didn't leave smelling of skunk stank! Did you notice what the depth was at the South marina?  With winds like we've been getting lately we keep waiting for calmer water before making the drive. We're still hoping to have a banner Willard day at least once this year. Seems our timing has yet to pan out.
(07-06-2022, 10:18 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Nice job Forrest. At least you didn't leave smelling of skunk stank! Did you notice what the depth was at the South marina?  With winds like we've been getting lately we keep waiting for calmer water before making the drive. We're still hoping to have a banner Willard day at least once this year. Seems our timing has yet to pan out.

Water level at the end of the south docks - 2.5 - 2.9 fow
   Marina area 2.9 - 3.3 fow
   Down the channel 4.5 - 10.5 fow  stay toward the center, maybe just a little left of center going out, just a bit right of center coming back 
    in.  
    Get well out past the buoy water will be 4.0 to 8.0 fow.  Past that point water 9.0 to 10.0 fow south of the island and from freeway bay to 
    west wall.  Slight variances.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool

Forrest,
Concerning those ‘pop and drop’ hits, have you ever tried a baitfeeder reel?
I use the baitfeeders made by Okuma and they are amazing.
A baitfeeder has a secondary drag that you can fine tune where wind won’t pull line as you drift but when a fish grabs it and runs the fish can’t feel resistance.
You let the fish run and position the bait to swallow and you just simply pick up rod, turn crank a smidgen to lock in normal drag, and then send the hook home.
If you know the reels I am talking about, I will just shut up now.