Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek Kokanee Rule Change
I called the DWR today and asked about the Kokanee regs at Lost Creek.

Their answer was that Kokanee in Utah are part of the Trout limits.
Therefore the slot at Lost Creek is also in effect for Kokanee.
This means that any Kokanee that is between 15" and 22" must be immediately released at Lost Creek!

I also asked how it worked at Strawberry.
The answer was that only Cutthroat Trout are affected by the slot limit there.
You can keep a 4 Trout/Kokanee limit with no slot size restrictions with the exception of Cutthroat.

Hope this helps clear it up for some of us that didn't know for sure.
(07-06-2022, 11:01 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: I called the DWR today and asked about the Kokanee regs at Lost Creek.

Their answer was that Kokanee in Utah are part of the Trout limits.
Therefore the slot at Lost Creek is also in effect for Kokanee.
This means that any Kokanee that is between 15" and 22" must be immediately released at Lost Creek!

I also asked how it worked at Strawberry.
The answer was that only Cutthroat Trout are affected by the slot limit there.
You can keep a 4 Trout/Kokanee limit with no slot size restrictions with the exception of Cutthroat.

Hope this helps clear it up for some of us that didn't know for sure.
I'm not doubting what one DWR expert is informing here but something is not jiving with the rules. Fishing Guidebook daily limits pg 7 is clear for the state: trout, kokanee, & Artic grayling combined total. At the top of pg 7 is a note to see Rules for specific waters. Pg 34 Lost Creek Limit 4 trout combined is clear according to pg 7. Now for the muddy waters-no more than 3 trout maybe under 15", to be able to get the 4th trout for a limit it must be over 22".  Huh Ok, I'll go with that. All trout between 15-22" must be immediately released. This is being very specific with trout not kokanee. The gov't bureaucrats need to go back spend more of our tax dollars and fix what I think is poor wording. Since kokanee is part of a combined trout limit, they also need to specifically name kokanee and grayling. Are we to see kokanee & grayling specifically as trout especially since they only use the 2 in limited text? If I wanted to target kokanee only for my limit that means 3 under 15" & 1 over 22". This will help the controversial language a lot of folks are getting Confused by.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I agree with you and I told the DWR Rep that same thing.
His answer was that it was clearly worded in the Proc.
My comment fell on deaf ears.

All I know is that at Lost Creek, Kokanee fall within the slot regulations.
Thought I better chime in and clarify this one for everyone.  The way the rules for Lost Creek are currently laid out in the rule bit are indeed a bit murky, which is why GrandpaD got a different and more conservative interpretation from our front desk staff.  We're going clarify them during this upcoming RAC and Wildlife Board cycle and things will be a lot more straight forward to interpret beginning in 2023.  I've consulted with our DWR Law Enforcement staff and our interpretation is that kokanee are not considered part of the special trout regulations at Lost Creek.  They do however, fall into the statewide trout regulations, meaning anglers may keep up to four kokanee salmon of any size if that is the only fish harvested, or they may keep them in combination with other trout for a combined total of 4 fish.  The trout, of course, fall under the special regulations and must consistent with the slot limit.  So to summarize: 

• Limit 4 trout and salmon 
  • Salmon of any size may be harvested as part of the limit
  • No more than 3 trout may be under 15 inches 
  • No more than 1 trout may be over 22 inches
  • All trout between 15 and 22 inches must be immediately released
After that consultation with our Law Enforcement, an email went out to everyone who enforces regulations at that water to make sure our interpretation is consistent among all officers, so no one will be getting a ticket for keeping a kokanee that would fall within that slot limit for the trout. 

On a side note, I'm thrilled to hear kokanee catches at Lost Creek are picking up.  Out of the three waters (East Canyon, Rockport and Lost Creek) where we introduced or reintroduced them a few years ago, Lost Creek was the one we were most unsure of.  They've showed up in our nets at all three waters and appear to be on their way to getting established.  There was just more uncertainty at Lost Creek due to it being less productive, having more predators and then the thought that the Kokanee would also have to compete with the Utah Chubs for food as well.  Perhaps the Utah Chub have had the side benefit of still acting as the main forage for predators and this has helped keep that pressure off the young Kokanee?  This one just goes to show that sometimes we just don't know the answer until we try something out.  

Chris
Thanks for your clarification, Chris.
Yes, it is confusing.
I have to wonder how well your Conservation Officers know the Regs at Lost Creek?
I hope they don't cite someone due to the confusion.

It will be good to have something in next years Proc. that is easier to understand.
(07-07-2022, 03:29 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: Thanks for your clarification, Chris.
Yes, it is confusing.
I have to wonder how well your Conservation Officers know the Regs at Lost Creek?
I hope they don't cite someone due to the confusion.

It will be good to have something in next years Proc. that is easier to understand.

Happy to help, Dale.  The officers all received an email stating the interpretation I shared on the regulations at Lost Creek and have been told not to issue any citations for people keeping Kokanee that are within the slot limit, so anglers are safe to keep Kokanee within the slot and don't need to worry about getting a ticket.
Thanks for chiming in on this grey area Chris.  I'd like you to also take a look at this link (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1101330) where this same subject was broached.  I made a post there and included 4 quotes from the Guidebook that, IMHO, seem to say that salmon are considered trout and therefore the slot limit at Lost Creek does, in fact, include kokanee.

I like your interpretation of the meaning way better than mine and will gladly keep 4 kokanee on trips in the future.  But when it comes time to re-write the Guidebook for next year, I would ask that you look at the 4 quotes I posted and make sure they all imply the same thing.  As always, your willingness to participate in these forums is much appreciated.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-07-2022, 09:48 PM)dubob Wrote: Thanks Bob.  You've got some good points there, especially point 4 where the definition of trout is listed.  Since this is a gray area, we're going to enforce the broadest interpretation of the rule, which is why nobody will be getting tickets for keeping kokanee falling within the trout slot.  There may be some modifications during the rule-making process this year, but it's looking like the special regulation for Lost Creek will be proposed to look like those bullet points I listed above. 

Thanks for chiming in on this grey area Chris.  I'd like you to also take a look at this link (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1101330
) where this same subject was broached.  I made a post there and included 4 quotes from the Guidebook that, IMHO, seem to say that salmon are considered trout and therefore the slot limit at Lost Creek does, in fact, include kokanee.

I like your interpretation of the meaning way better than mine and will gladly keep 4 kokanee on trips in the future.  But when it comes time to re-write the Guidebook for next year, I would ask that you look at the 4 quotes I posted and make sure they all imply the same thing.  As always, your willingness to participate in these forums is much appreciated.