Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Willard Bay, as of 7.6.22
I have been busy and slacking on reporting this year, but let me try a little.

The first trip of the year I and fishengineer had a rough outing, a skunk hung around the boat, but we saw fish on the finder.  It was later in the year than I wanted, but we normally can catch fish throughout the summer at Willard if we work at it.  If I recall, this was around the first 100 degree day of the year.

Every trip after I have got fish in the boat for other people, just not for me.  My only good day was when I was by myself and able to do my thing, but getting others into fish is a reward in it's own.

On one trip I got my oldest granddaughter into her first wiper.  It was hot and she did not keep dehydrated well enough; We left early when she got motion sick.

On 7.6.22 the water temp was 75 to 76 degrees, waves pushing 3 feet, and 4+1 (me) in the boat.  I got my youngest granddaughter into her first Walleye, got a grandson into two nice crankbait cats, and my son got a huge crankbait perch.  This time motion sickness and heat was common, but it takes an old salt to handle trolling in waves like that.  PS, 4 new trollers on a windy day sucked.  Tangled lines, planner boards that wanted to dive in the bad waves, etc., etc.  I wish they had been with me on a better day.

A general observation is that the shad are not nearly as numerous as last year.  I see possible wiper boils this fall as the shad get eaten down.  The fish are fat generally, stuffed with midge larva.  With all of the bugs that should not surprise anyone.

The best place to fish is in the water this year.  Ya, Ya, someone is going to say I am hiding my spots, which is my right, but the fish have been all over the lake.  One time the fish are biting on one spot, the next it is another.  I really think it has depended on how much wind, clouds, boats, etc., are impacting things that day.

The first picture is from a couple of weeks ago when I was by myself.  Several wipers and a couple of cats volunteered for scientific study and a visit for a couple of dinners.

[Image: Willard-1.jpg]

The second picture was the 6th.  Most were released, but these three also wanted to come home.  The fillet knife is a 10" blade electric by Bubba.

[Image: Willard-2.jpg]
I have generally learned that I can't fish when I am helping others, but when I fish by myself they seem to show up from nowhere.  Weird how that seems to happen.

Tight lines all.
Good to see the bite is still one for some of the fish at Willard and you are getting others on them too. How fast were you trolling?
Your first mistake was not getting out sooner.
(07-09-2022, 05:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to see the bite is still one for some of the fish at Willard and you are getting others on them too. How fast were you trolling?

3 to 3.5 to trigger the bite.

(07-09-2022, 08:53 PM)Wpahole Wrote: Your first mistake was not getting out sooner.

I know, but this spring was wild and crazy for work.