Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A first at Strawberry
Yesterday, while vertically jigging at Strawberry, I had a cutthroat jump out of the water and grab my jig.  As I was lifting my jig the fish jumped approximately two inches, out of the water, and had my jig in it's mouth.  I didn't hook the fish, but still exciting.  I have seen tiger trout be that aggressive, but that is a first for a cutthroat.
(07-15-2022, 03:17 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yesterday, while vertically jigging at Strawberry, I had a cutthroat jump out of the water and grab my jig.  As I was lifting my jig the fish jumped approximately two inches, out of the water, and had my jig in it's mouth.  I didn't hook the fish, but still exciting.  I have seen tiger trout be that aggressive, but that is a first for a cutthroat.

Very unusual for a cutt but the real question is how many cutts did you catch, any size to them?
(07-15-2022, 04:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 03:17 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yesterday, while vertically jigging at Strawberry, I had a cutthroat jump out of the water and grab my jig.  As I was lifting my jig the fish jumped approximately two inches, out of the water, and had my jig in it's mouth.  I didn't hook the fish, but still exciting.  I have seen tiger trout be that aggressive, but that is a first for a cutthroat.

Very unusual for a cutt but the real question is how many cutts did you catch, any size to them?

I would be interested that information myself.
It was a little slow. Two of us caught 135 cutts and 6 rainbows. Nothing over the slot and maybe 3 or 4 under the slot.
Sounds like a good day of jigging for the cuts .
(07-15-2022, 07:49 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: It was a little slow.  Two of us caught 135 cutts and 6 rainbows.  Nothing over the slot and maybe 3 or 4 under the slot.

Sorry to hear it was so slow.  You musta been bored to death.  Hardly worth the gas money.
Last time I was jigging at da berry all I got was a couple suckers ?
Sounds like a fish story to me. Then again, I have seen how well the fish treat you up there. I may have to shell out $100 for gas and get up there. 270 miles round trip. 
I tried Willard south this morning for just a short time and it is still dropping. 3 FOW in harbor at end of dock. Too shallow for me to launch again. No fish or prop were harmed.
Good fishing to all.   Hue

Back when I was a trout fisherman I once had a cutthroat hit my orange bobber floating on the surface. Craziest fish strike I witnessed. I don't know what the fish thought my bobber was. 
Gabe
(07-15-2022, 10:41 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Back when I was a trout fisherman I once had a cutthroat hit my orange bobber floating on the surface. Craziest fish strike I witnessed. I don't know what the fish thought my bobber was. 
Gabe

We see that happen, multiple times every trip, when we fish, in the fall, at Strawberry.
Lots of trout hit bobbers.  Don't know what they think they are, but they attack them.  I was once on a backpack trip in the Sierras,  in California.  I came up to a new little lake and pitched out a clear bubble-fly rig to a bunch of nice brookies I saw finning over the white sand where  the inlet creek came in.  Almost as soon as the bubble splashed down it was chomped by a big brookie.  The fish held on as it dived down...but soon released it.  Had several more fish hit the bubble without taking the fly.  So I rerigged and slid the bubble right down to the fly so that it became part of the "lure dujour".  Started hooking fish on the next cast.  Never had that happen before or since...although I have had quite a few fish whack more colorful bobbers at times. 

On another note, I have had fish jump out of the water to hit a fly or lure that was being deliberately dangled and dipped over the surface.  And on one occasion I hooked (and lost) a big bass that jumped up and grabbed a lure I had miscast and wrapped around a branch just above the water.  Biggest fish I saw all day.
Same here, almost. I had hung up a lure on a small branch with the lure just touching the surface. As I tugged at it, the lure splashed back and forth on the end of the twig. Until SPALOOSH! Lost the bass, but he did manage to rip it clear of the branch.

Been wondering ever since how to hang up a lure that way deliberately...
(07-16-2022, 03:28 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Same here, almost. I had hung up a lure on a small branch with the lure just touching the surface. As I tugged at it, the lure splashed back and forth on the end of the twig. Until SPALOOSH! Lost the bass, but he did manage to rip it clear of the branch.

Been wondering ever since how to hang up a lure that way deliberately...

Check out "doodlesocking".  Used to be a lot of anglers in the east who used cane poles and a short length of line to dangle lures on the surface next to the bank or some overhanging branches.  It has proven effective on a variety of species.
How deep were you fishing? I figure with all the heat they are pretty deep.

I've had em jump out of the hole onto the ice chasing a jig while ice fishing but not like you described as well as my memory serves me.
Wow, No slot busters must have been fishing the nursery.

Thanks for the report.