Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fishing for kokanee at jordanelle
I've never fished for the kokanee at jordanelle was hoping someone would be able to give me some insight on where to look for them this time of year any help would be greatly appreciated
As somebody's buddy Joe would say....C'mon, MAN...Jordanelle's not that big, you have a boat, koke like deep water...just get there early, and explore, like mostly any of us who've fished Jordy...these fish move around, so if I, or anyone says where to go, that was probably yesterday's, or the week before info...they are where you'll find them, and part of the whole fishing experience is in the finding...IMO, of course...Guluk...
Just beware of the wakeboard boats. They routinely violate the proximitry rule, and their wakes are brutal. Take a camera with a telephoto lens, get pictures of the bow numbers, drivers, etc, and call it in. Wasatch County Dispatch- (435) 654-1411, will put you in touch with the Ranger on duty. They have been very responsive.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Kokes usually hang out on the south end. You will just have to roam around. I've caught them east of the dam and halfway up Rock Cliff arm. Koke fishing has been tough the last two years. They will be deep around 40 to 50 feet. You'll have a better chance if you hit the water before the sun comes up.
(07-20-2022, 12:40 AM)Paddler Wrote: Just beware of the wakeboard boats.  They routinely violate the proximitry rule, and their wakes are brutal.  Take a camera with a telephoto lens, get pictures of the bow numbers, drivers, etc, and call it in.  Wasatch County Dispatch- (435) 654-1411, will put you in touch with the Ranger on duty.  They have been very responsive.

VERY good advice, let's get the park ranger on the water doing his job!!
I have not been there since April but I have caught a number Kokanee the last several years north of the launch ramp and south of where the old highway enters the lake, I would also target the cliffs along the north side as you enter the Rock Creek arm.there are members who report catching Kokanee in the top 25’ of the water column year round especially early in the morning. Hope this helps I’ll be up in Idaho again this weekend on PaliSades and Ririe. Did you make it to Ririe last weekend? I posted a report on the Idaho board from last weekend.
(07-20-2022, 09:04 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I have not been there since April but I have caught a number Kokanee the last several years north of the launch ramp and south of where the old highway enters the lake, I would also target the cliffs along the north side as you enter the Rock Creek arm.there are members who report catching Kokanee in the top 25’ of the water column year round especially early in the morning. Hope this helps I’ll be up in Idaho again this weekend on PaliSades and Ririe. Did you make it to Ririe last weekend? I posted a report on the Idaho board from last weekend.
No I didn't make it up there my wife had other ideas of things for me to do oh well maybe some day
(07-19-2022, 09:48 PM)pizzaman_288 Wrote: I've never fished for the kokanee at jordanelle was hoping someone would be able to give me some insight on where to look for them this time of year any help would be greatly appreciated

I fished it about a week and a half ago. I have had great success up there a couple years back and before in several locations, the last two years have been tough for me, and it seems for others. I have posted my theory on that. You can find it in old posts, I think too many predators stocked and fewer Kokes stocked are affecting the numbers. If you can find them, you can still get them.
I fished every location I have had success from north to south, dam and rock cliffs arm. I caught a fair number of rainbows a couple nice ones and a brown about 19". I was only able to catch 2 Kokes about 16 " and lost one other. They were all in the same spot up the rock cliffs arm about 400 yards plus minus in from the mouth. They were caught at 28 Feet. I have had success in past years at only 10 feet even late into the season. I run four rods and stagger the depths to try and cover as much as possible until I find them.
I tried as shallow as 10 feet and as deep as 45. All 3 Kokes hooked were at 28 feet. I was not marking any fish deeper than 40 so did not try deeper.
Hope this helps.
Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-20-2022, 12:40 AM)Paddler Wrote: Just beware of the wakeboard boats.  They routinely violate the proximitry rule, and their wakes are brutal.  Take a camera with a telephoto lens, get pictures of the bow numbers, drivers, etc, and call it in.  Wasatch County Dispatch- (435) 654-1411, will put you in touch with the Ranger on duty.  They have been very responsive.

It is time to go wakeless odd/even days at Jordy, Pineview, and Deer Creek.
(07-26-2022, 01:34 PM)MrShane Wrote:

It is time to go wakeless odd/even days at Jordy, Pineview, and Deer Creek.

Something needs to happen.  When they're surfing they do about 11MPH, get 1.5MPG and throw off a 2-3' wake.  Ridiculous.  The proximity rule is 50 yards, it should be two to three times that for wakeboard boats.
Single main, no kicker. Wink