Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport
Fished Rockport yesterday.  Perch are biting near shore.  A few 10 inch and average 9 inch size.  Kept enough for a good dinner.  

I fished from shore, but Rockport is almost full, so just a short hike with a personal watercraft to get on the water.
(07-20-2022, 07:02 PM)Crimson Wrote: Fished Rockport yesterday.  Perch are biting near shore.  A few 10 inch and average 9 inch size.  Kept enough for a good dinner.  

I fished from shore, but Rockport is almost full, so just a short hike with a personal watercraft to get on the water.

Wow, that is great news, thanks for the report, sure don't hear many reports of members catching perch close to shore and those are good sized too. Always good to hear of a local lake having pleanty of water this late in the Summer, that explains why the Weber river is running so high right now. How long did you fish before it got too hot for you?
Actually I try to fish later in the day when it starts to cool down, so fished from about 6 to 9 pm.  Used a slip bobber and adjusted depth until I got the first bite.
(07-21-2022, 01:07 AM)Crimson Wrote: Actually I try to fish later in the day when it starts to cool down, so fished from about 6 to 9 pm.  Used a slip bobber and adjusted depth until I got the first bite.

Smart move on fishing later, never thought about using a slip bobber, sounds like it worked good.
Thanks for the update/info. I'm either going there or Jordonelle one day next week but I'm leaning toward Rockport. I fished it once last year when it was quite low and the long walk up and down the ramp was to much for 77 year.
(07-21-2022, 01:07 AM)Crimson Wrote: Actually I try to fish later in the day when it starts to cool down, so fished from about 6 to 9 pm.  Used a slip bobber and adjusted depth until I got the first bite.

I've never used a slip bobber, do you have to use a bobber stop or is it more like the clear casting bubbles? If you are using a bobber stop(BS), how do the BS, slide through the line guides, do they ever get stuck?
(07-21-2022, 11:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I've never used a slip bobber, do you have to use a bobber stop or is it more like the clear casting bubbles? If you are using a bobber stop(BS), how do the BS, slide through the line guides, do they ever get stuck?

The slip bobber rig consists of a bobber with hole down the center that allows it to slide up and down the line, usually the long oval shaped type, with a bobber stop above the bobber that is attached directly to the line.  The bobber stop can be several types, but normally is some thin twine that forms a knot that is bigger than the hole in the bobber.  You can buy ready tied stops.

I use a piece of dental floss tied with a uni knot with as many wraps as needed.  This is good because it can be added to the line at any time.  The bobber stop of twine slides through the guides quite easily.  I rig the outfit with a small weight, leader, and this last time a small lead head jig.  I can cast this outfit about as far out as any standard rig.  

You can slide the bobber stop along the line to adjust how far your terminal tackle is sliding down below the bobber.  I started at about 20 feet and ended up about 12 to 15 feet,  where I got my first bite.  Thanks for asking.  I use this rig a lot at Powell for Crappie.

(07-21-2022, 05:11 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Thanks for the update/info. I'm either going there or Jordonelle one day next week but I'm leaning toward Rockport. I fished it once last year when it was quite low and the long walk up and down the ramp was to much for 77 year.

Yes, I hear you.  I'm 80 this year, and it is tough with some of the low water levels.  I was at Jordanelle last week in the Rockcliff arm from shore.  Jordanelle is only about 70 % full so it is a little more walk.  There was a lot of smallmouth action with a NED rig.  They fight hard, but I didn't catch anything longer than 12 inches or smaller.  Good luck!
Thanks, you explained that quit well because that was going to be my next question, how do you know where to put the bobber stop, so it's just a matter of playing with the length until you get the right depth, awesome. Great tip on using the dental floss too.
Possibly too late for anybody heading to Rockport today, but they are searching for a probable drowning victim there. It might tie up the facilities with official vehicles.
Thanks for the report. Curlytail jigs or bait?
(07-22-2022, 02:23 PM)LundLefty Wrote: Thanks for the report.  Curlytail jigs or bait?

I used a piece of worm for the Perch.  No curlytail.  I already had an 1/8 oz jig head with a #4 or #6 hook, so went ahead and used it.   Usually use something much smaller, especially for ice fishing pan fish.

But worked good to keep the fish from taking the jig too deep.  Easier to unhook.
it has been reported that the drowning victim has been found
Thanks, I think we'll give Rockport a try next week. Looking for somewhere the grandkids can catch some fish. We're on WB quite frequently but think the bugs would drive the 4 yo crazy, but they want to go for a boat ride.