Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pineview Reservoir 7-28
Kory and I ventured up to Pineview today, in search of some sturgeon bait, AKA crappie.  We only managed to catch two crappie and three baby bass (caught by Kory) and a grundle of mudcats.  Too bad mudcats don't make good sturgeon bait (I have tried them and had no bites.).  

We got there before anyone was in the booth and when we stopped, on the way home, and handed over $18, we shocked the woman that anyone would be that honest.

Curious how long the entire dam end has been wakeless?
(07-28-2022, 10:42 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Kory and I ventured up to Pineview today, in search of some sturgeon bait, AKA crappie.  We only managed to catch two crappie and three baby bass (caught by Kory) and a grundle of mudcats.  Too bad mudcats don't make good sturgeon bait (I have tried them and had no bites.).  

We got there before anyone was in the booth and when we stopped, on the way home, and handed over $18, we shocked the woman that anyone would be that honest.

That's too bad the catching was so poor for crappie, what time did you get there? From my experience, crappie catching is best if the first two hours of light but of course that depends on the day. The dam area has been wakeless for at least three years.
(07-29-2022, 04:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 10:42 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Kory and I ventured up to Pineview today, in search of some sturgeon bait, AKA crappie.  We only managed to catch two crappie and three baby bass (caught by Kory) and a grundle of mudcats.  Too bad mudcats don't make good sturgeon bait (I have tried them and had no bites.).  

That's too bad the catching was so poor for crappie, what time did you get there? From my experience, crappie catching is best if the first two hours of light but of course that depends on the day. The dam area has been wakeless for at least three years.

We launched before 6 AM.
(07-29-2022, 04:22 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We launched before 6 AM.
It could be the low water level but that area between Cemetery point and the narrows is the deepest part of the lake and likely the best place to find them. Did you try both sides of the narrows? How about right in the center?
We tried lots of places and the two we caught were in only 23-24' of water, across the bay north from Cemetery Point. I have never fished for them this time of year.
(07-29-2022, 04:35 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: We tried lots of places and the two we caught were in only 23-24' of water, across the bay north from Cemetery Point.  I have never fished for them this time of year.

Neither have I, it's usually in the Fall, when the power squad has left. Did you happen to notice the water temp?
(07-31-2022, 11:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:35 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: We tried lots of places and the two we caught were in only 23-24' of water, across the bay north from Cemetery Point.  I have never fished for them this time of year.

Neither have I, it's usually in the Fall, when the power squad has left. Did you happen to notice the water temp?

Yes I did.
(08-01-2022, 03:01 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Yes I did.

LOL, don't hold me in suspense, what was it?
(08-01-2022, 04:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yes I did.

81 to start and 82 when we left around 2:30.
(08-01-2022, 04:50 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 04:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yes I did.

81 to start and 82 when we left around 2:30.
Wow, that is warm for PV