Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Willard North Drive Thru
I went to Willard to get a new Annual Pass since mine expires today. New was pro-rated to $25. Great, I'm ready to go. I walked down to measure water at end of the dock. About 3 fow. Guys in black Tracker said it was 3-5 in the marina. This was at 10am and the power squadron was lining up to launch.
This plane is in the parking area at the north marina. Catilina? What is it Rocky? Does anyone know what it is here for?

[Image: 20220730-101604.jpg]

[Image: 20220730-101701.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That is a PBY Catalina. Great old bird from WWII. Haven't a clue why it's there, but I'd have loved to see it taxi in and climb that ramp!

I renewed my annual pass online a week ago and there was NO discount. Charged me the full Senior rate of $50 for now until Dec 31.
I believe it had a mechanical issue during the airshow and had to make an emergency water landing. The necessary parts for repair are not easily obtained, and ground transport isn't the best choice. So there it sits. Seems like ksl did a short report on it
That plane had an emergency flying out after the Warriors Over the Wasatch air show at Hill Airforce Base back in late June. It had to ditch in Willard Bay and I assume that due to lack of accessibility to readily available parts, it is having to sit there until parts for a repair can be had. That PBY Catalina is an amazing plane and a living relic from WW2. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Mike
(07-30-2022, 05:17 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That is a PBY Catalina. Great old bird from WWII. Haven't a clue why it's there, but I'd have loved to see it taxi in and climb that ramp!

I renewed my annual pass online a week ago and there was NO discount. Charged me the full Senior rate of $50 for now until Dec 31.

I went online to renew also. I didn't find a discount option, so I backed out to buy it in person.

Maybe when it is repaired, there will be a notice in the papers before it leaves. It would be fun to watch it take off.
(07-30-2022, 05:17 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That is a PBY Catalina. Great old bird from WWII. Haven't a clue why it's there, but I'd have loved to see it taxi in and climb that ramp!

I'm sure you know this but for others, because the state parks pass expires at the end of the year, it is prorated for anyone that gets a pass this year and with the cost of the senior pass going from $35 to $70, $25 sounds right with 5 months left in the year but if he had waited until the Aug, it would have been even cheaper. I paid $35 when I renewed my pass last month because there was 6 months left in the year. If you paid $50 that would be for the non senior rate.

It will be interesting if they can even get the plane out onto the lake if the water level drops much more, for that matter it might be too low now. That plane might be there until next year at this point and when or if they get the parts.
Well, my $50 is spent. I'm not strapped for cash, fortunately. Come January, though, I'll be more careful when I renew.

The fences around that PBY say volumes. It's gonna be there a while. I'll drool over it next time I fish Willard. It may be the same one I saw taking off from Great Falls, Montoony a few years ago. I was leaving a gun show headed south. The PBY cruises at 90 knots, so I saw it for a LONG time as I drove back to Ogden. I'd give a bunch to be aboard it for a while. I miss flying a LOT.
The name on the nose is Princess of the Stars.
(07-30-2022, 10:51 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I miss flying a LOT.

Here is you chance to fly again, the newest flying car:

[Image: new-flying-car.webp]

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/samso...234732424/
Ummm...no. I think I can fly anything with wings. In a pinch, something with rotors. But it has to have one or the other.
(07-31-2022, 12:01 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Ummm...no. I think I can fly anything with wings. In a pinch, something with rotors. But it has to have one or the other.

It has wings they just stow away in the body when in car mode:

[Image: flying-car-two.webp]
Still a "no". Cars make poor airplanes and airplanes make poor cars. That's why none of those designs has ever succeeded.

But we're getting too far off a fishing topic, so I'll end any further airplane comments.
Thought those were some cool pics, so I drove up there today after hitting fruit alley. I took some pics from two different angles, was wondering what the bubble was for, on the back half of the aircraft, maybe some type of opservation area?

[Image: NM-plane.jpg]

[Image: NM-plane2.jpg]

Then I drove down to the South marina and took a look see. Took these pics of the dock and a guy walking across the marina to check the depth before launching his big ski boat.

[Image: SM-guy-checking-depth.jpg]

[Image: SM-docks.jpg]
(07-31-2022, 10:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thought those were some cool pics, so I drove up there today after hitting fruit alley. I took some pics from two different angles, was wondering what the bubble was for, on the back half of the aircraft, maybe some type of opservation area?

[Image: NM-plane.jpg]

[Image: NM-plane2.jpg]

Then I drove down to the South marina and took a look see. Took these pics of the dock and a guy walking across the marina to check the depth before launching his big ski boat.

[Image: SM-guy-checking-depth.jpg]

[Image: SM-docks.jpg]

Now the big question did he launch? How long do you think it will be before we can get back at it?
(08-01-2022, 04:42 PM)oldguy Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 10:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thought those were some cool pics, so I drove up there today after hitting fruit alley. I took some pics from two different angles, was wondering what the bubble was for, on the back half of the aircraft, maybe some type of opservation area?

Now the big question did he launch? How long do you think it will be before we can get back at it?

I really don't know because I left right after taking that pic but my guess is yes he launched. As far as how long before we can get back out there, you could go now but the catching for walleye or wipers would be slow. Cats are always willing though Smile
The PBY was used as a search & Rescue aircraft. In the pacific theater it rescued downed pilots, searched for enemy shipping (photo recon) and in some cases was used in anti sub missions. The bubbles on the back fuselage allowed the crew to open the canopies to pick up downed fliers, offload supplies, etc. Great piece of American heritage !!
(08-01-2022, 11:06 PM)Therapist Wrote: The PBY was used as a search & Rescue aircraft.  In the pacific theater it rescued downed pilots, searched for enemy shipping (photo recon) and in some cases was used in anti sub missions.  The bubbles on the back fuselage allowed the crew to open the canopies to pick up downed fliers, offload supplies, etc.  Great piece of American heritage !!

That's interesting, when I was in the service I was in the 41st aerial rescue and recovery squadron. Those bubbles would make an excellent observance platform. Wish I could have gotten a closer look at it, looked like a cool aircraft.
That's the great PBY of WWII. My dad flew on them and was on one of the search planes looking for the Japanese at the Battle of Midway
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(07-30-2022, 05:02 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I went to Willard to get a new Annual Pass since mine expires today. New was pro-rated to $25. Great, I'm ready to go. I walked down to measure water at end of the dock. About 3 fow. Guys in black Tracker said it was 3-5 in the marina. This was at 10am and the power squadron was lining up to launch.
This plane is in the parking area at the north marina. Catilina? What is it Rocky? Does anyone know what it is here for?

[Image: 20220730-101604.jpg]

[Image: 20220730-101701.jpg]
Pfffft, you’ll never get that thing slow enough to pull bb’s…..