Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Firsts at UL for me
Spent another morning at Utah Lake Saturday the 30th. Arrived at 6:00 am and headed out to our favorite spot on the lake by Bird Island. Was out there for 4.5 hours the morning of the 24th and ended up with 26 between 22 and 27 inches. We fish anchored up and were expecting another good day. It started out good with 4 nice cats in the first hour and then nothing. After a couple hours we tried over by the knolls anchored. Zippo nothing. Haveing  talked with Tubedude on his method and purchased a few Fligs and also corresponded with Piscophilic on his method I thought lets try something new. So we buzzzed back over by the State Park while it was calm and rigged up 2 poles with the Pisco method and 2 poles with Fligs, baited them up and started doing the Pisco stroll. After getting things going the best I understood we started getting hits ended up catching 6 nice cats and a volunteer White Bass for bait. My second hit was on the Pisco method rod and was the largest cat I have caught barely over 30". Minutes later my sons Flig went Bendo and his largest Cat ever came to the net. 29.5". What a riot. 

Thanks to both of you for helping me learn some new tricks for fishing. Those of you that help others learn have passed on some knowledge that others will use for a lifetime. This world is better off because of people like you.
[Image: IMG-1551.jpg]
(08-01-2022, 02:48 AM)lifeshort Wrote: Spent another morning at Utah Lake Saturday the 30th. Arrived at 6:00 am and headed out to our favorite spot on the lake by Bird Island. Was out there for 4.5 hours the morning of the 24th and ended up with 26 between 22 and 27 inches. We fish anchored up and were expecting another good day. It started out good with 4 nice cats in the first hour and then nothing. After a couple hours we tried over by the knolls anchored. Zippo nothing. Haveing  talked with Tubedude on his method and purchased a few Fligs and also corresponded with Piscophilic on his method I thought lets try something new. So we buzzzed back over by the State Park while it was calm and rigged up 2 poles with the Pisco method and 2 poles with Fligs, baited them up and started doing the Pisco stroll. After getting things going the best I understood we started getting hits ended up catching 6 nice cats and a volunteer White Bass for bait. My second hit was on the Pisco method rod and was the largest cat I have caught barely over 30". Minutes later my sons Flig went Bendo and his largest Cat ever came to the net. 29.5". What a riot. 

Thanks to both of you for helping me learn some new tricks for fishing. Those of you that help others learn have passed on some knowledge that others will use for a lifetime. This world is better off because of people like you.
[Image: IMG-1551.jpg]
Sounds like a good day on the water.  Glad you got to try some new stuff and that it worked for you. 

You have now discovered that you can catch catfish by methods other than anchoring up and soaking bait on the bottom.  A lot of cataholics are pleasantly surprised to find that cats are active predators that will hunt and chase moving baits...and that moving around to find them is often more productive than sitting in one spot and waiting for them to find you. 

More and more cat fans around the country are using the slow troll and bottom bouncing techniques to search out the fish.  And if you find a productive area you can always anchor or drift until you run out of fish.  Also, more and more cataholics are employing the use of active floating devices...like fligs, flaits, Spin N Glows, and Santee rigs...to present their baits above the bottom and with some color and motion.   Cats are not only eating machines with hypersensitive scent receptors over their whole bodies.  They also have sensitive lateral lines and respond well to lures that give off vibrations. 

Congrats on your new personal best cat.  Best wishes for getting some even bigger ones in the near future.
Congrats Don on a couple of nice fish for you and Craig and for learning a new method for fishing for them.
Way to go! Glad you had some fun and the new things worked out for you. Two personal bests in the same day is a rare thing, keep up the great work! 

BTW, maybe things are working a bit too well for you.....I haven't broken 30" this year, JK.