Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jordanelle Fair to Middlin'..Aug. 1
Buddy and I hit Jordanelle this A.M., lines in water about 0645..(should have been 0630, but I had to turn around back to the dock, 'cuz I had forgot to put my stickers on the dash)...didn't seem to matter; last 2 times there we haven't had that real early bite..first hit 0730, nice 'bow, planer board, green, about 15' down...slow...then about 0800 we nearly doubled up on smaller kokes, 13"ers, me pink on Down Rigger at 40', buddy chartreus flashassin on planer board at 20'...slow again...looping the area a couple times, lots of 'S' turns, I finally got hit on my D.R. again, same pink set, nicer 15" koke...Between 1000 and 1045 we each caught 1 more decent koke, 14 and 16", his on same planer board set, and mine again on D.R., but on darker billfish, 42' down...wind not an issue today, but we called it at 1100 so we wouldn't get caught...boarders, wake boarders, tubers, party barges, jet skiers..yep, all out again this A.M., but most seemed to keep their distance...mostly just average sized fish here, and very slow bite my last few times, but sometimes just 'Fair to Middlin' is good enough for me...Guluk...
(08-02-2022, 03:38 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Buddy and I hit Jordanelle this A.M., lines in water about 0645..(should have been 0630, but I had to turn around back to the dock, 'cuz I had forgot to put my stickers on the dash)...didn't seem to matter; last 2 times there we haven't had that real early bite..first hit 0730, nice 'bow, planer board, green, about 15' down...slow...then about 0800 we nearly doubled up on smaller kokes, 13"ers, me pink on Down Rigger at 40', buddy chartreus flashassin on planer board at 20'...slow again...looping the area a couple times, lots of 'S' turns, I finally got hit on my D.R. again, same pink set, nicer 15" koke...Between 1000 and 1045 we each caught 1 more decent koke, 14 and 16", his on same planer board set, and mine again on D.R., but on darker billfish, 42' down...wind not an issue today, but we called it at 1100 so we wouldn't get caught...boarders, wake boarders, tubers, party barges, jet skiers..yep, all out again this A.M., but most seemed to keep their distance...mostly just average sized fish here, and very slow bite my last few times, but sometimes just 'Fair to Middlin' is good enough for me...Guluk...

Great report Joe, not seeing many from Jordanelle that are that good lately, even if some were smaller you did good. What was the water temp there?
Surface temp 71/72...I didn't send my fish hawk down to check sub surface temps, but our only koke bites seemed to be in the low 20's, or deeper in the low 40's...
On July 15th this year, I did a temp survey at Jordanelle with Fish Hawk. The surface temp was 71.0 degrees 35 feet it was 58.7 at 40 feet it was 56.9 at 45 it was 55.3 at 50 Feet it was 53.7 at 55 Feet it was 52% I only caught 2 Kokes that day They were both caught at 28 Feet. By all the Kokanee wisdom you should be catching them at 55 feet, didn't see any on finder of get any fish tryong those depths. A few weeks back I got over 30 Kokes up to 22.5 inches, at an unnamed reservoir at only 10 to 15 feet down, surface temp 66 degrees at 15 feet it was 65 degrees and at 40 feet still 60.3.
They were great strong healthy fish in 65-degree water. Many Studies for preferred temps for Kokes are from lake that never get that warm so don't always think temp is the key. They also like to be where the food is and, in many lakes, the temps are warmer than you might expect Kokes to be in. Just saying.....

Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(08-03-2022, 02:45 PM)Mildog Wrote: On July 15th this year, I did a temp survey at Jordanelle with Fish Hawk. The surface temp was 71.0 degrees 35 feet it was 58.7 at 40 feet it was 56.9 at 45 it was 55.3 at 50 Feet it was 53.7 at 55 Feet it was 52% I only caught 2 Kokes that day They were both caught at 28 Feet.  By all the Kokanee wisdom you should be catching them at 55 feet, didn't see any on finder of get any fish tryong those depths. A few weeks back I got over 30 Kokes up to 22.5 inches, at an unnamed reservoir at only 10 to 15 feet down, surface temp 66 degrees at 15 feet it was 65 degrees and at 40 feet still 60.3.
They were great strong healthy fish in 65-degree water. Many Studies for preferred temps for Kokes are from lake that never get that warm so don't always think temp is the key. They also like to be where the food is and, in many lakes, the temps are warmer than you might expect Kokes to be in. Just saying.....

Mildog out

thanks good report and I always  like your reports
(08-03-2022, 02:45 PM)Mildog Wrote: On July 15th this year, I did a temp survey at Jordanelle with Fish Hawk. The surface temp was 71.0 degrees 35 feet it was 58.7 at 40 feet it was 56.9 at 45 it was 55.3 at 50 Feet it was 53.7 at 55 Feet it was 52% I only caught 2 Kokes that day They were both caught at 28 Feet.  By all the Kokanee wisdom you should be catching them at 55 feet, didn't see any on finder of get any fish trying those depths. A few weeks back I got over 30 Kokes up to 22.5 inches, at an unnamed reservoir at only 10 to 15 feet down, surface temp 66 degrees at 15 feet it was 65 degrees and at 40 feet still 60.3.

Mildog out
That is some great info and it makes sense, no matter the water temps, fish will be where the food is. It's too bad they don't make a meter that tells you what depth the most plankton is at
Congrats on the great catching at that unnamed res.