Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trim up
Be aware that the water is under 3' deep, in several places, heading out of the Utah Lake State Park boat harbor.  While coming in yesterday I foolishly left my prop all the way down and about 1/3 of the way in, to the boat ramp, I hit something really solid (perhaps a rock that was thrown out on the ice).  This was the result.

[Image: skeg.png]

A Megaware 27061 Skegguard Stainless Steel Replacement Skeg should be here early next week.
(08-05-2022, 05:57 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Be aware that the water is under 3' deep, in several places, heading out of the Utah Lake State Park boat harbor.  While coming in yesterday I foolishly left my prop all the way down and about 1/3 of the way in, to the boat ramp, I hit something really solid (perhaps a rock that was thrown out on the ice).  This was the result.

A Megaware 27061 Skegguard Stainless Steel Replacement Skeg should be here early next week.

Bummer, it did not damage the prop? If not you are very lucky. This is a good reminder for everyone during this low water year.
(08-05-2022, 06:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 05:57 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Be aware that the water is under 3' deep, in several places, heading out of the Utah Lake State Park boat harbor.  While coming in yesterday I foolishly left my prop all the way down and about 1/3 of the way in, to the boat ramp, I hit something really solid (perhaps a rock that was thrown out on the ice).  This was the result.

Bummer, it did not damage the prop? If not you are very lucky. This is a good reminder for everyone during this low water year.

It may have added another small ding or two to my prop.  I plan on getting the prop repaired after the lakes freeze.
Thanks for the heads up! You also have to stay in the channel. The part they dredged is pretty narrow compared to what it looks like. I got a little too far sout last time I was out, but what I bumped was a lot softer than what you found.
(08-05-2022, 06:56 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for the heads up! You also have to stay in the channel. The part they dredged is pretty narrow compared to what it looks like. I got a little too far sout last time I was out, but what I bumped was a lot softer than what you found.

Yes, that channel is extremely narrow.  Much narrower than it needed to be.
AF needs to get rid of the rocks at the entrance to their harbor. They also need to do something about the idiots that throw rocks on the ice. It is really DUMB not to put signs up to discourage rocks on the ice. AF is almost impassable now due to rocks in the mouth of the harbor !!
[Image: Skegguard.png]

Took approximately 5 minutes to install and only $94 (new) delivered, on eBay.

[Image: skeg.png]

Same here on Saturday only I hit something on the west side of the dyke right before the river about 100 yards out that chipped my prop and damn near sent me flying across the boat.
(08-08-2022, 09:03 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: [Image: Skegguard.png]

Took approximately 5 minutes to install and only $94 (new) delivered, on eBay.

Nice, looks just like the one I istalled on my last boat motor.
A word about Utah Lake State Park !! Back in the 80's when we had the HIGH water, they were pouring concrete on the ground, making slabs 12 inches or so, then using a backhoe to break them up and dump on the dikes at UTLKSP. The wind cause wave action would pick those slabs up (0ver 500lbs) and pull them into the lake. So all around the dikes on the OUTSIDE are big slabs of concrete, that in the low water become prop eating hazards. You have to stay in the channel when leaving the park and entering it, then when you get out of the harbor, go out into the lake for 50-100 yds before turning either direction, other wise you will have a meeting with one of those slabs. If yo drive on the airport dike south of the park, you can see some of them exposed 15-30 ft off the dike where wave action sucked the out !!
(08-09-2022, 01:37 AM)Therapist Wrote: A word about Utah Lake State Park !!  Back in the 80's when we had the HIGH water,  they were pouring concrete on the ground, making slabs 12 inches or so, then using a backhoe to break them up and dump on the dikes at UTLKSP.  The wind cause wave action would pick those slabs up (0ver 500lbs) and pull them into the lake.  So all around the  dikes on the OUTSIDE are big slabs of concrete, that in the low water become prop eating hazards.  You have to stay in the channel when leaving the park and entering it, then when you get out of the harbor,  go out into the lake for 50-100 yds before turning either direction, other wise you will have a meeting with one of those slabs.  If yo drive on the airport dike south of the park,  you can see some of them exposed 15-30 ft off the dike where wave action sucked the out !!

Good to know thanks