Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Floatin' Fudds at Lincoln Beach 8-9-22
Met up with Lee in his tube and BLK in his yak at Lincoln Beach.  Boat channel is not launchable even for us old floatation fools so we opted for a rocky point launch.  Air temp at 7 am was about 62…warming about 20 degrees by noon.  Early water temp was 71 and got up to about 75 as I got off the water by noon.
 [Image: LAUNCH.jpg]  [Image: DAWN-LAUNCH.jpg] [Image: PARKING.jpg]

BLK and Lee got launched before I did.  And I had to search out a new launch spot for my tube.  My first choice turned out to be where the rocks dropped about 3-4 feet deep right at the edge.  I need some gradual slope to get launched and get my motor rigged etc.  Glad I had my ski pole hiking stick to check bottom conditions as I launched and returned in the murky water.

Based upon recent reports, I thought the fish might be shallow.  So I worked in 3-4 feet of water…out to about 5 feet.  Saw few fish on sonar.  Caught fewer.  BLK and Lee had both caught a few in about 6 feet of water so I finally got with the program and moved out deeper.  Took a while but I finally scored first a white bass…on a new “micro whirly flig” I was trying.  Then a couple of cats on minnows and white bass meat.
[Image: BLK-DRIVEBY.jpg] [Image: SOLO-WHITIE.jpg] [Image: BLING.jpg]

It was not fast fishing for any of us but BLK managed to net about 10 kitties before he beached his yak around 10:30.  Lee went in about the same time after netting 4 cats for the morning.  That left me out there all by my lonesome.  But the kitties came to play with me so that was okay. I ended up with 7 to the tube by the time I kicked back in around noon.  Most came from a “zone” out in 5.6 feet of water.  For an hour or so I was happily busy.  Then it was getting too hot to enjoy it any more and I had all the fun I could stand.
[Image: TUBE-JIG-KITTY.jpg] [Image: BUZZ-SHORTY.jpg] [Image: BIGGEST.jpg]

It was eerily quiet out on the lake today.  Didn’t see or hear any boats anywhere.   Not complaining, mind  you.  Just observing.  And the lake was like glass almost all morning.  Only downer was a line of regular green algae forming as the water warmed up.  But no observed blue green stuff that's freaking everybody out.
[Image: GLASS.jpg]

I kind of half-heard on Fox 13 this morning that there's a toxic algae advisory out, with the worst spots being Lincoln and the Provo harbor.
Pat, I have not seen or heard of a really big cat out of UL yet this year. I think 31" is the best I have heard of, so far (not just on BFT) Did you get any with size?

We have to meet up. I might need to add some "micro whirly fligs" to my panfish bag - the larger size are a ton of fun on Echo and Rockport smallies.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-09-2022, 11:07 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I kind of half-heard on Fox 13 this morning that there's a toxic algae advisory out, with the worst spots being Lincoln and the Provo harbor.

The harbors are subject to more human "contributions" and tend to be more subject to the growth of the bad algae.  But there is only about 1 foot of water in the Lincoln Beach harbor and boat channel right now.  But it is good to have an advisory to keep kids and dogs from playing in that water. 

There is no evidence of any kind of major blue-green algae growth outside the harbor.  But there is a lot of the regular green algae all around the lake at this time of year...every year.  It is ugly but not toxic.  

(08-10-2022, 04:30 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat, I have not seen or heard of a really big cat out of UL yet this year. I think 31" is the best I have heard of, so far (not just on BFT) Did you get any with size?

We have to meet up. I might need to add some "micro whirly fligs" to my panfish bag - the larger size are a ton of fun on Echo and Rockport smallies.

My biggest...the one in the picture...was just over 26".  BLK got a  28" and a couple of 27"...but his 36" still eludes him.  Have heard a good number of 30" inchers this year but not much larger. 

I think those micro whirlies will be great for small species...but trout too.   I started making them specifically to fish Gulp Minnows in Willard...and they work...but made up a few with smaller blades and smaller hooks to fish perch, white bass and crappies.  Yesterday I rigged a tandem rig...with a 1/16 oz. tube jig on the upper dropper and the "whirlette" trailing out behind on a 2' leader.    Didn't fish it much but it caught my only white bass of the day.  And the tube jig caught my first catfish. 

I just finished making up a few more on the 1" tailed flig bodies...in the fave colors of chartreuse perch, firetiger, blueback silver, pink tiger and orange tiger.  I think they are gonna smack the perch this fall.  And I suspect that smallies, trout and walleyes at Deer Creek will vote for them too.  Lemme know your best colors and I'll get you a few to try on my "bait-a" test program.
Glad to see you guys made it out, too bad you cant launch in the harbor, hopefully next spring, planning a trip out there around the 19th of march. surprised you guys didnt launch over by the L, they were driving out there this spring, I have done well out in front of the orchards just off the drop off a few times, usually casting up on the flat and pulling a jig off the drop off or just out from the where the warriors stand.

Im thinking I need a menu of these new whirly fligs you got, to see if I need some, you know you never can have enough fishing stuff.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(08-13-2022, 01:35 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Glad to see you guys made it out, too bad you cant launch in the harbor, hopefully next spring, planning a trip out there around the 19th of march. surprised you guys didnt launch over by the L, they were driving out there this spring, I have done well out in front of the orchards just off the drop off a few times, usually casting up on the flat and pulling a jig off the drop off or just out from the where the warriors stand.

Im thinking I need a menu of these new whirly fligs you got, to see if I need some, you know you never can have enough fishing stuff.
The water in the L is also very skinny, but they did clean out the phrags from the one old launch ramp.  Will be good for spring.  And while I have launched from the rocks down past the L, I don't like the drive on the rocks as much...although I have done well fishing there. 

Those new micro whirly fligs are looking like a great ticket for many species...especially ones that want something slightly smaller than my original models.  Making up a new batch right now in different shapes, sizes and colors.  Will post a pic when I have the new ones completed.  I'm betting they will be well accepted by the fishies in your new fishing venues.
(08-13-2022, 02:37 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 01:35 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Glad to see you guys made it out, too bad you cant launch in the harbor, hopefully next spring, planning a trip out there around the 19th of march. surprised you guys didnt launch over by the L, they were driving out there this spring, I have done well out in front of the orchards just off the drop off a few times, usually casting up on the flat and pulling a jig off the drop off or just out from the where the warriors stand.

The water in the L is also very skinny, but they did clean out the phrags from the one old launch ramp.  Will be good for spring.  And while I have launched from the rocks down past the L, I don't like the drive on the rocks as much...although I have done well fishing there. 

Those new micro whirly fligs are looking like a great ticket for many species...especially ones that want something slightly smaller than my original models.  Making up a new batch right now in different shapes, sizes and colors.  Will post a pic when I have the new ones completed.  I'm betting they will be well accepted by the fishies in your new fishing venues.
Ill be wachin, got hunts till first part of oct, planning to his starvy then, be good to have some thing new to try.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]