Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Looking for opinions
What are the thoughts about assigning lakes odd even days for fishing and powerboating. Example: Echo odd days, Rockport even days, Jordanelle odd days, Deer creek even days, odd days for power boaters, even days for fisherman. Paddle boards, kayaks etc. with the fisherman. By staggering the lakes in this manner everyone could do their thing any day maybe just at a different lake. It is my opinion that a couple of accidents with paddle boarders and kayakers could had been avoided if they hadn't been sloshed over by super waves created by surf boats. I know we all need to have our fun but we also need to share the resources and be be considerate. Larger lakes like (Utah Lake, Powell etc.) could be for all any day. If I am correct at least 1 life was lost because of waves knocking a paddle boarder and his dog off the board. After saving his dog and going back for his board he drowned. Yes he should have had on a PFD but we all do dumb things. this is only 1 example I am sure there are others. I would love to here your thoughts and ideas. Lets think of both sides and come up with a fix for everyone.
Better yet, How about the Rangers enforcing existing law regarding proximity to other boats, the shoreline, and wake less speed zones!! Much of the problems are due to not following the current rules. You very seldom see a Patrol boat out on the water and then there is usually only one boat. Put extra rangers on the water, or on the shore with high power binoculars to monitor what is happening on the lake. More enforcement will go a long way to improving safety and allowing everyone to enjoy the water !!!
it works pretty well in millcreek canyon for bike vrs. leashed dogs and odd/ even winter dog leash days.
The boat lobbyist will pad political pockets to avoid this at all cost
Echo has been nice this summer
wakeless ftw
[Image: 20220802_161248.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Odd/even wakeless days should have happened years ago.
Or, better yet cut lakes in half wakeless then everybody gets to have their fun any day of the week.
Or, horsepower restrictions.
I agree with Shane, something needs to be done and I would be willing to sign at petition for a change like he proposed but IMO, I'd be very surprised if it ever happened.
I'd throw my 2 cents in for the even/odd days...I think it would be fairly easy to figure out which lakes/res. would be candidates..Jordanelle, Rockport, East Canyon, Echo (when it opens), Lost Creek, maybe Willard, maybe Hyrum, possibly others I'm not as familiar with..
(08-12-2022, 12:44 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: I'd throw my 2 cents in for the even/odd days...I think it would be fairly easy to figure out which lakes/res. would be candidates..Jordanelle, Rockport, East Canyon, Echo (when it opens), Lost Creek,  maybe Willard, maybe Hyrum, possibly others I'm not as familiar with..
Deer creek also comes to mind.
With the new state parks policy on annual passes we have some power to push this.
If all fishers refused to buy their passes until after Memorial day it would place a huge financial burdon on the department.
They rely on our ice fishing and early fishing for revenue to get the parks open for the year. The wakers and PBS does not sshow up in droves until end of May.
We could create a big funding gap right at the time the legislature is in session. The perfect time to push our issues.
Of course it would take cooperation, coordination, and sacrifice, three things Utahns are not good at
First off, I’ll state that I am 100% in favor of odd/even days.  It is way overdue.  But let’s look at this problem with a touch of reality.  The Power Boat Squadron (PBS) is very much in the majority amongst boat owners in Utah and I would be VERY surprised if ANY of them would support this solution.  They are in no way impacted by people out fishing from a boat.  Conversely, people out fishing from a boat are impacted by the PBS on a daily basis.

So, while this would be a good thing for us who fish from boats, it will not have any beneficial effect for the PBS.  The PBS by in large will not support any such effort to limit their participation in water sports (IMHO) and the chance of this ever being passed into law is slim at best.
I’ll sign any petition that supports this idea; I’ll write to my state legislators in favor of such move; and I’ll encourage my boating friends to do the same.

I’m not holding my breath waiting for anything meaningful ever happening in this regard in my lifetime.  But trust me fishing brothers and sisters, I’m 100% with you on this issue in both heart and spirit.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You are saying what a lot of us think too Bob, I think there is more of a chance that they would close off part of any lake, making them wakeless, than ever passing an odd or even fishing day proposal.
Does anyone have an original proposal drawing from the State on showing the ENTIRE Rockcliff arm of Jordanelle as buoyed off as wakeless, not just the little pathetic foreskin at the tip?
If found, that would be a great place to start with trying to reclaim some safe water.
(08-16-2022, 02:21 AM)MrShane Wrote: Does anyone have an original proposal drawing from the State on showing the ENTIRE Rockcliff arm of Jordanelle as buoyed off as wakeless, not just the little pathetic foreskin at the tip?
If found, that would be a great place to start with trying to reclaim some safe water.

I like that idea Shane. So you have seen a proposal like that before?
(08-16-2022, 02:28 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 02:21 AM)MrShane Wrote: Does anyone have an original proposal drawing from the State on showing the ENTIRE Rockcliff arm of Jordanelle as buoyed off as wakeless, not just the little pathetic foreskin at the tip?

I was only 18 or 19 ( at least that what it seemed to me) around 1987 or ‘88 when I swear I saw a design drawing showing the entire Rockcliffe arm wakeless.
I remember thinking it was crazy to have to troll through there for that long to get to the rivers mouth.
If we could find that it would be a good starting point.
But, I have also been known to conjure up stuff in my mind that directly benefits me!
(08-16-2022, 04:39 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 02:28 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I was only 18 or 19 ( at least that what it seemed to me) around 1987 or ‘88 when I swear I saw a design drawing showing the entire Rockcliffe arm wakeless.
I remember thinking it was crazy to have to troll through there for that long to get to the rivers mouth.
If we could find that it would be a good starting point.
But, I have also been known to conjure up stuff in my mind that directly benefits me!
OK, that is why I don't remember it, way before BFT or me thinking about trolling at Jordanelle. Guess that was before it was even built.
(08-10-2022, 03:06 PM)duofish Wrote: What are the thoughts about assigning lakes odd even days for fishing and powerboating. Example: Echo odd days, Rockport even days, Jordanelle odd days, Deer creek even days, odd days for power boaters, even days for fisherman.

I have owned boats my entire adult life, wood boats, jet boats, glass boats, inboards  and outboards, Crowded conditions as they exist today make any kind of boating a challenge. A quite day on the water only exists around midnight.
The one craft I have never owned is a Wake Boat, the popularity of this new craft literally makes it unsafe to be on the water in a small shallow draft or slightly overloaded boat. Every boat on the lake gets rocked to death by this new pleasure craft regardless of proximity.  Regulations  designed to provide separation are no solution for this wave creation machine.
Odd Even days would be GREAT!!
One thing that I have proposed to the Parks people is to put a barcode on every yearly pass, with card readers at each park entrance. Most of us would get on the water at first light, IF we could access the ramp. As it is, the parks work on bankers hours, opening somewhere around 6:30 or 7AM. By allowing the fishermen to get on the water at first light, they would be off the water about the time most of the power squadron is just waking up. There are a few die hard skiers that would be out early, but not that many. By allowing anglers to access the water EARLY, alot of pressure would be taken off the resource. They could make the access for pass holders only, eliminating the dummies that would go in to trash the park. It would also require people to buy a yearly pass if they want early access. I have made this proposal several times to the Parks folks, have never gotten a response. I think this is a better proposal than even/odd days !!!
(08-16-2022, 03:33 PM)Therapist Wrote: By allowing the fishermen to get on the water at first light,  they would be off the water about the time most of the power squadron is just waking up. 

Not me. Wink
No thank you.
I would prefer odd/even or half-lake wakeless days WAAAY over a barcode.
I do not want to be tracked via barcodes.