Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Idaho Sturgeon Record
LINK TO ARTICLE

Fri, August 12, 2022 at 5:02 PM

A Utah couple landed a sturgeon last week that handily broke the Idaho state record by several inches, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game said in a Friday news release.
Greg and Angie Poulsen, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, were fishing at C.J. Strike Reservoir on Aug. 5 when they hooked a white sturgeon. The reservoir, about an hour’s drive south of Boise, extends to the Snake and Bruneau rivers. The massive prehistoric sturgeon are known to inhabit the Snake River, though Fish and Game said the largest specimens are typically found in Hells Canyon.
The Poulsens’ sturgeon measured in at 124 inches — or just under 10 feet, 4 inches. The previous record, set in 2019, was 119.5 inches, just a few inches shy of the 10-foot mark.

[Image: Idaho-Sturgeon.webp]
Wow, what a monster, "Hey Kent, you jealous much?" In the back ground it looks like a guide might have put them on that fish.
(08-13-2022, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, what a monster, "Hey Kent, you jealous much?" In the back ground it looks like a guide might have put them on that fish.

The article also makes reference to a new channel cat record from CJ Strike.  But on that link you have to subscribe to the newspaper to get the info.  Here is a reprint of a notice in Outdoor Life

Angler Paul Newman of Fruitland, Idaho, was looking to catch sturgeon when he set out on C.J. Strike Reservoir last Wednesday. Instead he caught a new catch-and-release state-record channel catfish.
According to Martin Koenig, Idaho’s Natural Resource Program Coordinator, Newman’s heavyweight channel cat measured 42.5 inches long. That’s plenty long enough to better the former catch-and-release record channel catfish of 33 inches, set by Reed Monson at Lake Lowell in 2020.

Before releasing the channel cat, Newman weighed the fish on a hand-held digital scale, which registered 37 pounds. That means Newman’s fish would have most likely beaten Idaho’s current certified weight record for channel catfish—a 32.9-pound, 36.5-inch fish that was caught by angler Cody Kastner on June 16. As Koenig pointed out, that record fish also came out of C.J. Strike Reservoir.
However, to earn the overall state record title, Newman would have had to weigh his catfish on certified scales, which would have meant killing it. It’s possible that he could have kept the fish alive to reach a location with certified scales, and then released it, but this is always a risky proposition.

[Image: channelcat.webp]
(08-13-2022, 03:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, what a monster, "Hey Kent, you jealous much?" In the back ground it looks like a guide might have put them on that fish.

The article also makes reference to a new channel cat record from CJ Strike.  But on that link you have to subscribe to the newspaper to get the info.  Here is a reprint of a notice in Outdoor Life

Angler Paul Newman of Fruitland, Idaho, was looking to catch sturgeon when he set out on C.J. Strike Reservoir last Wednesday. Instead he caught a new catch-and-release state-record channel catfish.
According to Martin Koenig, Idaho’s Natural Resource Program Coordinator, Newman’s heavyweight channel cat measured 42.5 inches long. That’s plenty long enough to better the former catch-and-release record channel catfish of 33 inches, set by Reed Monson at Lake Lowell in 2020.

Before releasing the channel cat, Newman weighed the fish on a hand-held digital scale, which registered 37 pounds. That means Newman’s fish would have most likely beaten Idaho’s current certified weight record for channel catfish—a 32.9-pound, 36.5-inch fish that was caught by angler Cody Kastner on June 16. As Koenig pointed out, that record fish also came out of C.J. Strike Reservoir.
However, to earn the overall state record title, Newman would have had to weigh his catfish on certified scales, which would have meant killing it. It’s possible that he could have kept the fish alive to reach a location with certified scales, and then released it, but this is always a risky proposition.

Wow, that is a monster cat, with a size that big I wonder if the guy thought he had a small sturgeon on before he got it in. Undecided
(08-13-2022, 04:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Wow, that is a monster cat, with a size that big I wonder if the guy thought he had a small sturgeon on before he got it in. Undecided

That part of the Snake River is kinda like Forrest Gump's box o' choklits...ya never know what you're gonna get.  Sturgeon rigs often get hit by other species...like trout, perch, catfish and bass.  And guys fishing specifically for the other species sometimes find sturgeon on their lines. 

When I lived in Sacramento and fished the Sacramento River it was a lot like that.  Anglers soaking strips of sardines or anchovies for stripers or catfish often caught sturgeon.  And those fishing for sturgeon with the same baits...or even crawdads or crawlers...caught stripers, salmon, steelhead, catfish, largemouths and smallmouths, etc.  In a multi-species water you can target all you want, but it ain't no guarantee that is all you're gonna get.  But, one of my favorite fishing expressions is "Some problems are better than others."

Not really. I'm more concerned about the pressure that the charters are putting on the sturgeon fishery. Recently, 5 sturgeon were found floating. Catching them when the water is so warm puts a lot of stress on these ancient fish. I wish they would shut the fishery down when the water gets so warm. I also wish the charters would voluntarily quit fishing under the current conditions.

[Image: channelcat.webp]

That Record Channel turned out to be a Blue https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/idah...tfish/?amp
So that makes it 37 years old Undecided That seems unlikely because blues do not live that long but it was stated that, "blue catfish from farms in the southeastern U.S possible got mixed in with a batch of channel cats headed for Idaho.", guess that must be what happened.
(08-13-2022, 11:21 AM)TubeDude Wrote: LINK TO ARTICLE

Fri, August 12, 2022 at 5:02 PM

A Utah couple landed a sturgeon last week that handily broke the Idaho state record by several inches, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game said in a Friday news release.
Greg and Angie Poulsen, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, were fishing at C.J. Strike Reservoir on Aug. 5 when they hooked a white sturgeon. The reservoir, about an hour’s drive south of Boise, extends to the Snake and Bruneau rivers. The massive prehistoric sturgeon are known to inhabit the Snake River, though Fish and Game said the largest specimens are typically found in Hells Canyon.
The Poulsens’ sturgeon measured in at 124 inches — or just under 10 feet, 4 inches. The previous record, set in 2019, was 119.5 inches, just a few inches shy of the 10-foot mark.

[Image: Idaho-Sturgeon.webp]

They live in city center. Its my buddies daughters boyfriends mom and dad that caught it what a lunker!!
In the original news release about the sturgeon: "The previous record, set in 2019, was 119.5 inches, just a few inches shy of the 10-foot mark."
What the heck? On my tape measure, 120" is 10 feet. If it was 119.5", then it was 1/2" shy of 10 feet, not "just a few inches". LOL
I have seen that boat before.  one day they were around me for about 6 hours  and I did not see them catch one sturgeon.  I think he charges about 
$825. for 3 people.
(08-13-2022, 10:45 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote:
They live in city center. Its my buddies daughters boyfriends mom and dad that caught it what a lunker!!

Congrats to them, that is a great fish, must have weighed over 1,000 lbs
(08-13-2022, 06:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote:   In a multi-species water you can target all you want, but it ain't no guarantee that is all you're gonna get.  But, one of my favorite fishing expressions is "Some problems are better than others."

That is the kind of problem we all should be so lucky to have, fishing for cats and catch a record sturgeon or fishing for sturgeon and catch a record cat, better yet, how lucky you would have to be to catch two record fish like that in one day. If anyone is ever that lucky, they better stop by and buy a lotto ticket the same day.
(08-14-2022, 05:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 06:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote:   In a multi-species water you can target all you want, but it ain't no guarantee that is all you're gonna get.  But, one of my favorite fishing expressions is "Some problems are better than others."

That is the kind of problem we all should be so lucky to have, fishing for cats and catch a record sturgeon or fishing for sturgeon and catch a record cat, better yet, how lucky you you have to be to catch two recond fish like that in one day. If anyone is ever that lucky, they better stop by and buy a lotto ticket the same day.

LUCK is a 4-letter word...like FISH.  But then so is WORK.  I like the first two better. 

I used to listen to old Zig Ziglar a lot in my working days.  I still live by a few of his homely homilies.  One is that we can help make our own luck by putting ourselves in a position to receive it...in other words, go fishing if you wanna get lucky.  Another is "If you wait 'til all the lights are on green you ain't never gonna leave the house."  No explanation needed.