Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mill Hollow
Ira and I got up to MH earlier this week. Our main purpose of going up there was to scout our deer hunting area, so we never got to the lake until late in the morning. By then the catching was tough but still picked up a couple of trout, a tiger and a bow. Others did better, that were there before we got there. Went to the area we intended to hunt and right off the bat saw a head of about 30 elk. We saw a few deer later, after we left the first spot, including one small buck. 
Here are a couple pics of the area.

[Image: new-hunting-area.jpg]

[Image: new-hunting-area2.jpg]
Thanks for the report, Curt. When I worked for the Heber Ranger District we patrolled that area. Beautiful and game-rich. I was able to fish there once through the ice after a day hunting elk; didn't do any good. Though the fish run small, it's fun to think that you could be hauling up any of many species of trout.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Craig, we too ice fished there a number of years back and if I remember correctly we caught 4 species of trout there but as you said none were big.
(08-14-2022, 01:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Craig, we too ice fished there a number of years back and if I bremember correctly we caught 4 species of trout there but as you said none were big.

that is my favorite place to ride snowmobiles. never fish it though
(08-15-2022, 01:33 AM)mtncat1 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Craig, we too ice fished there a number of years back and if I remember correctly we caught 4 species of trout there but as you said none were big.

That dirt road up there is like a freeway, it's so smooth. Guess they are logging above the lake and they are really keeping the road nice. Lots of area up there to snowmobile.
Gorgeous country that’s for sure, glad you had a good “scouting trip”
(08-15-2022, 03:33 AM)2knots Wrote: Gorgeous country that’s for sure, glad you had a good “scouting trip”

It was really nice up there, hopefully we can find some nice bucks when the times comes.
(08-15-2022, 02:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Craig, we too ice fished there a number of years back and if I remember correctly we caught 4 species of trout there but as you said none were big.

That dirt road up there is like a freeway, it's so smooth. Guess they are logging above the lake and they are really keeping the road nice. Lots of area up there to snowmobile.
they are logging , they have been doing it all over the state, they have been taking out under growth and dead trees so it's been nessary to cut in more roads . i'm really happy to see it
(08-16-2022, 03:07 AM)mtncat1 Wrote:

they are logging , they have been doing it all over the state, they have been taking out under growth and dead trees so it's been nessary to cut in more roads . i'm really happy to see it

Yea, those pine beetles have been killing a lot of pine trees all over the state, especially in N Utah.
(08-16-2022, 03:32 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 03:07 AM)mtncat1 Wrote:

Yea, those pine beetles have been killing a lot of pine trees all over the state, especially in N Utah.
Good luck on your Deer hunt!
MH makes an excellent first-ice destination because it freezes so quickly.
It is usually my first stop every year with 30-40 trout caught in just two or three hours.
On single trips I have caught albinos, Bows, Brookies, and Tigers as a nice mixed bag.
The Bows and Tigers average the best sizes.
Not huge in size but gigantic on the fun scale.
Usually have the lake to myself!