Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful Day at the Berry
Took my buddy up to the berry.Got a little bit later start than we wanted but we’re at our first spot by 8 AM. Water temp was around 55-56° And my buddy wanted to try a spot that I’ve never tried before and all my years of going to the Barry. Needless to say it was unsuccessful. I told him let’s go over to my spots and we ended up with our limits and throwing a few fish back and all done by 11:30. We had two that were just over 2 pounds and the rest were decent size fish. We only got into one cutthroat. 
It was a gorgeous day and the fish are just about to come off the smoker.

[Image: 518-F7-CDF-FD51-489-E-9022-23320-A1-BE261.jpg]

[Image: 82-D65-D15-3892-40-CA-94-A8-EB01-C49435-DE.jpg]

[Image: 880-C4-DEF-CB78-4811-8-CD2-82-B703-CC1-C73.jpg]

[Image: C98-CABBD-31-F3-426-F-BFF8-EC285-D0-A1311.jpg]
Sounds like a great trip and you found the bows, way to go. Any idea what the air temps were the when you first arrived?
(10-07-2022, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a great trip and you found the bows, way to go. Any idea what the air temps were the when you first arrived?

34 degrees. First pic was fog on the water at sunrise.
How deep was the water and how deep were you trolling?
(10-07-2022, 03:21 PM)duofish Wrote: How deep was the water and how deep were you trolling?

Our baits were running about 8-14 feet deep and we caught fish in water anywhere from 12-40 feet. Speed was 1.6-1.8.
Wow, you were fishing the same Strawberry that I fish? and only 1 cutthroat and 2 limits of rainbows. I totally expected to zoom on the fish photo and see cutts, but no, like you said all bows. Good job on finding them.
I think it's all about location, no matter what the body of water you fish, location is the key, IMO.
(10-07-2022, 04:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think it's all about location, no matter what the body of water you fish, location is the key, IMO.

100% agreed. I also feel location can be a difference in size of fish. we took a ride since we were done early and we saw a huge group of tubers  and shore anglers. the fish they were pulling in were small pan size. I’ve watched the DWR boat drop the fish off right where they were fishing. 

On a side note, I will always smoke my bows. It was the best fish I’ve ever had.
(10-07-2022, 04:55 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 04:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think it's all about location, no matter what the body of water you fish, location is the key, IMO.

100% agreed. I also feel location can be a difference in size of fish. we took a ride since we were done early and we saw a huge group of tubers  and shore anglers. the fish they were pulling in were small pan size. I’ve watched the DWR boat drop the fish off right where they were fishing. 

On a side note, I will always smoke my bows. It was the best fish I’ve ever had.

What color was the flesh of the bows you caught?
(10-07-2022, 04:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Orange. The pic shows the bows after they’ve been bled out in the live well so they may be slightly discolored.
(10-07-2022, 05:23 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 04:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Orange. The pic shows the bows after they’ve been bled out in the live well so they may be slightly discolored.

I've never tried smoking trout, mainly because of the color of their flesh, how do they taste compared to the pink meat of a kokanee?
I used to always throwback rainbows for the same reason. I tried all sorts of ways to cook them and I just never liked it. I sweet Brined them for a few hours and then dried them for an hour in the fridge. We did 2 with the skin removed and 2 skin and head on. We preferred with the skin off. It just tasted like a sweet salty flesh with some good smoke flavor. It really took on the flavor of the Brine but not too much.
Was back up today, 3 guys on the boat. Same results. Only kept 8 again. Top one at 1.9lb. Moved around a bit more and got more cuts in that area but one was a beautiful 20”er.

Full moon had nothin on us
(10-11-2022, 02:11 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Was back up today, 3 guys on the boat. Same results. Only kept 8 again. Top one at 1.9lb. Moved around a bit more and got more cuts in that area but one  was a beautiful 20”er.

Sounds like you have those bows figured out, was it just as cold this week?
(10-11-2022, 02:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 02:11 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Was back up today, 3 guys on the boat. Same results. Only kept 8 again. Top one at 1.9lb. Moved around a bit more and got more cuts in that area but one  was a beautiful 20”er.

Sounds like you have those bows figured out, was it just as cold this week?

Colder air temp when we arrived. But felt warmer. No fog. Thermals and a hoodie weather.
Went up again today. On the water around 730. Buddy wanted to try “another” spot. Got a few cuts there and went to one of my favorite spots. Went home with 3 limits… all good fish.Used 2 different presentations and got fish on both. Had my oldest son with me and a buddy. Ride back got pretty windy and rough but off the water by noon.

[Image: FBA045-EB-0536-485-C-8754-C9-FF5-A96-D764.jpg]
(10-16-2022, 11:32 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Went up again today. On the water around 730. Buddy wanted to try “another” spot. Got a few cuts there and went to one of my favorite spots. Went home with 3 limits… all good fish.Used 2 different presentations and got fish on both. Had my oldest son with me and a buddy. Ride back got pretty windy and rough but off the water by noon.

Way to go, you sure are the bow whisper at the Berry, congrats on another great trip.  Were you bait fishing, casting lures?
Trolling. Three way swivel near bottom presentation on front end of boat and topwater and diving cranks in the rear.
(10-17-2022, 01:19 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Trolling. Three way swivel near bottom presentation on front end of boat and topwater and diving cranks in the rear.

Was the three way swivel used to add weight to get the presentation deeper?
(10-17-2022, 01:42 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 01:19 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Trolling. Three way swivel near bottom presentation on front end of boat and topwater and diving cranks in the rear.

Was the three way swivel used to add weight to get the presentation deeper?

Yes Sir! Similar to the bottom bouncer but a bit more control on depth and quicker than a downrigger.