Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last trip to Pineview
Ira and I got up to PV this morning, the road across the dam was closed, so we had to drive all the way around. Launched around 8:30 am and stayed until @:30 pm. Water temp was 58 degrees at launch and got up to 64 before we left. Air temp was 34 at launch. Calm conditions all day, beautiful Fall colors.

[Image: fall-colors-at-PV.jpg]

[Image: PV-fall-colors.jpg]

We trolled most of the day, picking up a dozen crappie between 10 and 11"

[Image: PV-crappie.jpg]

We caught about two dozen more that were smaller but none under 9". 

We finally decided to vertical jig over some good groups of what we thought were perch but we never caught and with that method.

[Image: PV-fishfinder.jpg]

Before we left we decided to try fligging and ended up with one perch, guess we should have tried that earlier. 

Back at the ramp, my truck had a ticket on it and I walked over and talked to K2 muskie and partner, they had been out trolling for muskie and they told me that the Forest service was planning on charging $!8 until Winter closed the Port ramp, then charge $18 all Winter to use the ramp that they are going to have open at Andersen Cove. Guess we won't be fishing any more at PV, even during the Winter, bummer.
Wow, that seems to be a ridiculous fee.
(10-19-2022, 03:37 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Wow, that seems to be a ridiculous fee.

It really is, all of the state parks in our area charge a reduced fee in the Fall and Winter but PV is controlled by the Forest service and I guess they can charge what ever they want.
I used to really like Pineview. I could drag my kayak down to launch from several places without using the paid ramps. Then they blocked off all those places. The concessionaire company is so greedy that they are trying to find a way to charge seagulls for landing on the water. Add it up and they are collecting over two grand a day just at Pineview - not to mention what they must be getting at Strawberry. It must total a couple million every year just in launch fees. Then they complain that they can't afford to do ramp maintenance.

The Forest Service does not care. They're just happy they don't have to manage it themselves. That would take manpower and money. Instead, they can shrug their collective shoulders and claim to provide a recreational resource.
Wow, that's really Sad, if they'd make the fees more reasonable they'd probably make more money.
So when are we going to band together and get rid of Forest Service management at Pineview and Strawberry???  I can only write so many letters to our congressional delagation my self.  WE ALL NEED TO GET ON BOARD AND BOMBARD OUR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS TO HAVE THESE WATERS PUT UNDER STATE CONTROL !!!  COME ON GANG, GET ON BOARD !!!
(10-19-2022, 04:04 PM)Therapist Wrote: So when are we going to band together and get rid of Forest Service management at Pineview and Strawberry???  I can only write so many letters to our congressional delagation my self.  WE ALL NEED TO GET ON BOARD AND BOMBARD OUR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS TO HAVE THESE WATERS PUT UNDER STATE CONTROL !!!  COME ON GANG, GET ON BOARD !!!

I have a contact @ a federal agency that deals with every agency. I’m working hard to get some contact info of somebody who can look into the management of this situation. Just doing my little part. Not sure what may come of it. After visiting Pineview a couple times this early fall and hearing of the threat Wiperhunter2 got I’m on board to raise hell.
(10-19-2022, 02:56 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got up to PV this morning, the road across the dam was closed, so we had to drive all the way around. Launched around 8:30 am and stayed until @:30 pm. Water temp was 58 degrees at launch and got up to 64 before we left. Air temp was 34 at launch. Calm conditions all day, beautiful Fall colors.

[Image: fall-colors-at-PV.jpg]

[Image: PV-fall-colors.jpg]

We trolled most of the day, picking up a dozen crappie between 10 and 11"

[Image: PV-crappie.jpg]

We caught about two dozen more that were smaller but none under 9". 

We finally decided to vertical jig over some good groups of what we thought were perch but we never caught and with that method.

[Image: PV-fishfinder.jpg]

Before we left we decided to try fligging and ended up with one perch, guess we should have tried that earlier. 

Back at the ramp, my truck had a ticket on it and I walked over and talked to K2 muskie and partner, they had been out trolling for muskie and they told me that the Forest service was planning on charging $!8 until Winter closed the Port ramp, then charge $18 all Winter to use the ramp that they are going to have open at Andersen Cove. Guess we won't be fishing any more at PV, even during the Winter, bummer.
It appears the crappie size is improving at PV. Wouldn’t it make sense that those same 9 to 11 inch fish will be maybe 11 to 13 inches next year?
I wish that was the case but with so many crappie in PV that means less food for them to eat, so unless they get tinned out before next year, they are likely only to grow 1/2", maybe 3/4 ". I base that on the fact that last year the size of the crappie were 10.5", this year they are 11" and that was the max length we caught, using the exact same method of catching them as last year. Two years ago they were only 10".
Sorry to hear they are gouging the fishermen again... and glad it's not good enough fishing so I'm tempted to go try it... Thanks for the report, after your earlier one, I was thinking it was time to give it another try, but not for $18 a trip... Too many other spots that work on the yearly pass and or are free to park... Thanks Curt for the update... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(10-20-2022, 05:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sorry to hear they are gouging the fishermen again... and glad it's not good enough fishing so I'm tempted to go try it... Thanks for the report, after your earlier one, I was thinking it was time to give it another try, but not for $18 a trip... Too many other spots that work on the yearly pass and or are free to park... Thanks Curt for the update... Later J

We got enough fillets for two meal out of those 12 crappie, so not really thick but the worst part was for sure about them gouging us for the parking fees, that part was very disappointing.
(10-20-2022, 05:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sorry to hear they are gouging the fishermen again... and glad it's not good enough fishing so I'm tempted to go try it... Thanks for the report, after your earlier one, I was thinking it was time to give it another try, but not for $18 a trip... Too many other spots that work on the yearly pass and or are free to park... Thanks Curt for the update... Later J

The fees at jordanelle are now $20 to launch or even access the park.