Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it ice yet?
Wink 
Are you ready for the hard deck season yet?  I’m already looking to upgrade a few items this year.  If you are going to go with an electric ice auger this year and are trying to decide what electric drill to use or upgrade to, I thought you might like to see some good prices on some Milwaukee drills.  This is where I’ve purchased mine and like the quality and performance of the Milwaukee drills turning any of the ice augers I’ve used (NILS & K-Drill). 

Milwaukee On Sale Products | CPO Outlets
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
So, what model drill do you use Bob. I burned up a DeWalt two years ago.
You definitely do not need to spend the $$ on a Milwaukee any longer! There are a few drills out there that have even more torque than the Milwaukee Fuel. Last year I bought a FLEX (Model #FX1271T-2B) at Lowe's and its their new "contractor grade" line of drills that has 1,400 inch/lbs of torque, comes with two batteries (both a 2.5aHr and 5.0aHr), a charger and hard case for just over $199 on sale! Not to mention the drill has a limited lifetime warranty!!! The FLEX drills were developed in Germany and are now available in the US. This is a drill/hammer-drill and it twists my 30 year-old Mora Blue 8" auger like a dream. I took the old bottom portion of my hand-cranked Mora and added a bolt (welded) to the bottom portion so it would fit my FLEX drill. I used it all of last ice season and it works incredible, and I use the drill for everything else the remainder of the year.
(10-21-2022, 05:06 PM)lovetofish Wrote: So, what model drill do you use Bob. I burned up a DeWalt two years ago.

My current drill is the 2604-20 (tool only).

(10-22-2022, 01:22 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: You definitely do not need to spend the $$ on a Milwaukee any longer!  There are a few drills out there that have even more torque than the Milwaukee Fuel.  Last year I bought a FLEX (Model #FX1271T-2B) at Lowe's and its their new "contractor grade" line of drills that has 1,400 inch/lbs of torque, comes with two batteries (both a 2.5aHr and 5.0aHr), a charger and hard case for just over $199 on sale!  Not to mention the drill has a limited lifetime warranty!!!  The FLEX drills were developed in Germany and are now available in the US.  This is a drill/hammer-drill and it twists my 30 year-old Mora Blue 8" auger like a dream.  I took the old bottom portion of my hand-cranked Mora and added a bolt (welded) to the bottom portion so it would fit my FLEX drill.  I used it all of last ice season and it works incredible, and I use the drill for everything else the remainder of the year.
The current models of the Milwaukee Fuel 18 drills are 1,400 inch/lbs as well and the 2904-22 comes with two 5.0AH batteries.  Best deal on the 2904-22 I found is Amazon at $267 or from Acme Tool for $260 by adding an accessory worth $25 plus (42 piece drill bit kit at $28.99).  Are the Milwaukee brand and two 5.0AH batteries instead of one 2.5AH & one 5.0AH batteries worth an extra $60/$70?  You decide.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob, That's a great price on the bare tool drill... I have the 2804 model and have totally loved it both seasons... summer and winter, I think I spent a lot more to buy mine, but I guess I got batteries with it, so I guess that is why... Yup getting ready for ice.... Not sure I need to buy much new gear this year, other than I'd still like to get the mega 360 transducer... so I can see what's around me in the shallows... Not sure I'll spend that much this year though... been a rough year on the finances so I may just be happy with what I've got and hope I can buy gas this winter... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(10-21-2022, 04:19 PM)dubob Wrote: Are you ready for the hard deck season yet?  I’m already looking to upgrade a few items this year.  If you are going to go with an electric ice auger this year and are trying to decide what electric drill to use or upgrade to, I thought you might like to see some good prices on some Milwaukee drills.  This is where I’ve purchased mine and like the quality and performance of the Milwaukee drills turning any of the ice augers I’ve used (NILS & K-Drill). 

Milwaukee On Sale Products | CPO Outlets

I keep thinking one of these years I might break down and buy a tent, but I am worried about extra weight.  I might look into a flipover model but I hate the idea of being solo in a tent when my fishing partners are outside or in their own tent. takes away from the camaraderie I enjoy of going out.  I have the ION auger and love it, wouldnt buy gas again for anything.
(10-24-2022, 10:33 PM)chubby chaser Wrote: I keep thinking one of these years I might break down and buy a tent, but I am worried about extra weight.  I might look into a flipover model but I hate the idea of being solo in a tent when my fishing partners are outside or in their own tent. takes away from the camaraderie I enjoy of going out.  I have the ION auger and love it, wouldnt buy gas again for anything.

I have a flip over model and it works great with a group, you just leave it open on one end, leaving the side facing the wind closed. On the coldest days when the wind is blowing hard, you got to close the whole thing up but most days the weather isn't too bad at least from my experience but we tend to pick decent days to go ice fishing.
anyone know if Fish Lake has ice yet??
(10-25-2022, 08:54 PM)PBH Wrote: anyone know if Fish Lake has ice yet??

Awesome sense of humor. Smile
It’s only a matter of time til someone legitimately asked that huh?