Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile boat mechanic
Does anyone know of a mobile boat mechanic that would work on my boat near Bountiful?  My trim motor is working, but raises the outboard really slowly, until it raises it a couple inches and then it works great.  I hate to haul it all the way up to Lee (Lee's Marine) and have to wait a few weeks to get it repaired.
Sounds like your rams seals are leaking, I was having the same issue earlier this year. Did you see this post about it:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1100706
I have used this guy last spring. He works out of his house and off his truck. Did me a good Job over hauled the bottom of my motor. Not cheep but fixed it in one week. And it still runs fine.
801-712-2132
1504 west sunset Ave.
Wvc
Don't remember his name, give him a call.
Good luck
(10-22-2022, 08:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like your rams seals are leaking, I was having the same issue earlier this year. Did you see this post about it:

Yes, I saw that thread.  I'm not willing to tackle that repair by myself.  I have added oil the best that I could.
(10-22-2022, 09:34 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 08:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like your rams seals are leaking, I was having the same issue earlier this year. Did you see this post about it:

Yes, I saw that thread.  I'm not willing to tackle that repair by myself.  I have added oil the best that I could.

If you have added fluid and it still is no better, then you are right about looking for help, if you don't want to do it yourself.
(10-22-2022, 06:11 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Does anyone know of a mobile boat mechanic that would work on my boat near Bountiful?  My trim motor is working, but raises the outboard really slowly, until it raises it a couple inches and then it works great.  I hate to haul it all the way up to Lee (Lee's Marine) and have to wait a few weeks to get it repaired.

Hi Kent,
You may already know the difference here so just tell me to get lost if needed….
Outboards have trim/tilt feature built in.
The first few inches is ‘trim’ and is slower by design than ‘tilt’.
Trim is to be used while under power while tilt is not to be used under power and is only to raise LU out of danger zone/trailering.
Unless your ‘trim’ is painstakingly slow, it is functioning properly to have two ‘speeds’ of raising your motor.
Hope this helps?
(10-22-2022, 11:04 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 06:11 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Does anyone know of a mobile boat mechanic that would work on my boat near Bountiful?  My trim motor is working, but raises the outboard really slowly, until it raises it a couple inches and then it works great.  I hate to haul it all the way up to Lee (Lee's Marine) and have to wait a few weeks to get it repaired.

Hi Kent,
You may already know the difference here so just tell me to get lost if needed….
Outboards have trim/tilt feature built in.
The first few inches is ‘trim’ and is slower by design than ‘tilt’.
Trim is to be used while under power while tilt is not to be used under power and is only to raise LU out of danger zone/trailering.
Unless your ‘trim’ is painstakingly slow, it is functioning properly to have two ‘speeds’ of raising your motor.
Hope this helps?

The trim is painstakingly slow, to the point I'm afraid it isn't going to work at all.

(10-22-2022, 09:31 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have used this guy last spring.  He works out of his house and off his truck. Did me a good Job over hauled the bottom of my motor. Not cheep but fixed it in one week. And it still runs fine.
801-712-2132
1504 west sunset Ave.
Wvc
Don't remember his name, give him a call.
Good luck

Thanks, I will contact him.
I ended up finding at least 3 mobile boat repair guys (including the one that doitall5000 gave me).  I ended up going with a guy who is located just 4 miles from my humble abode.  I couldn't find any reviews for him, so I have my fingers crossed.
(10-24-2022, 05:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I ended up finding at least 3 mobile boat repair guys (including the one that doitall5000 gave me).  I ended up going with a guy who is located just 4 miles from my humble abode.  I couldn't find any reviews for him, so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks Kent for keeping us up to date on mobile boat repair guys, if you don't mind, would you post the names and numbers of the 3 you found, for any other members that are in your situation? After you post them, this post will be moved to the Boat and motor forum.
have you checked your oil
(10-24-2022, 10:17 PM)liketrolling Wrote: have you checked your oil

Yes, I have added oil twice.

(10-24-2022, 06:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-24-2022, 05:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I ended up finding at least 3 mobile boat repair guys (including the one that doitall5000 gave me).  I ended up going with a guy who is located just 4 miles from my humble abode.  I couldn't find any reviews for him, so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks Kent for keeping us up to date on mobile boat repair guys, if you don't mind, would you post the names and numbers of the 3 you found, for any other members that are in your situation? After you post them, this post will be moved to the Boat and motor forum.

Les Binning
Lives in Bountiful
801-706-5782

Danco Marine
Located in SLC
801-712-2132

Hansen Mobile Marine
801-707-0325

Mike's Mobile Marine
801-455-1900