Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A short trip to Scofield
Sorry for the slow report but I fished Scofield last Monday in my tube from 11:00 until 3:00.  There were a couple of other guys there that I knew so I decided to join them.  They were both fly fishing too, one on a pontoon with an electric motor and the other in a u-tube like mine with foot power.  We all managed to catch a few fish.

We launched over on the east side near the cabin toward the middle of the reservoir.  I used a medium sink line and a size 8 bead head black leech with some UV crystal flash in the tail, A size 8 bead head (green) green meanie pattern, and a size 6 Bubble head plum leech with red crystal flash in the tail.  I picked up one skinny 17” tiger trout and eleven cutthroats from 15” to 19”.  Most of the fish were caught in 4’ to 15’ of water while stripping the line in.  I missed several, as usual, so it wasn’t a bad day.  The other guys picked up some rainbows that were from 13" to 16" long.  The weather couldn’t have been better for the last day of October.

The water temperature was 41-44 degrees. 
The reservoir level is 15% full and still going down.  The water users are still letting 10 cfs down the creek. 
The visibility in the water is only about 3’ because of the algae (picture).  The fishing should really pick up after that stuff either washes up on shore or settles out. 

It looks like the pelicans must have headed south, I didn’t see any today.  There was one boat on the water and about a dozen shore anglers.  

[Image: P1080324-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080325-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080328-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080330-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080332-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080333-2.jpg]

Another great report and pics, thanks for sharing it with us. Looks like you had some nice calm conditions and a nice time on the pond. That water sure looks scummy but I guess it wasn't like that everywhere  Undecided I've often wondered when I see a skinny trout like that tiger, if they just went through a growth spurt and just haven't filled in and that's what makes them so skinny. I'd bet conditions have changed up there since you made that trip up there, especially with all the snow.