Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowdog Registration
Thumbs Up 
This subject was discussed last ice season and it was determined by the Utah DMV & DNR that there was no state requirement to register Snow Dog type conveyances.  The word from Utah government agencies back then was that they would continue studying this issue.

Since we are now on the verge of a new ice fishing season, I thought it would be good to know if any thing has changed with regard to Snow Dog registration.  I reached out to the Utah DMV and asked them: ‘Has a consensus been reached between Utah DMV and Parks & Rec folks on the matter of registration requirements for Snow Dogs?

Here is their response: ‘Currently there have been no changes concerning the Snow Dogs.  These are currently not requiring a title or registration on them.

Git 'er done!   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Great news Bob, thanks for passing that along.... I can't believe they didn't jump in and want to make everyone license them, you know government, never let a good cash stream pass you by.... then they'd move on to lawn mowers and snow blowers... Glad they didn't do it yet... Thanks for the update... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I've found your post from last year to still be true this season. No avenue to register it, even if I wanted to
(11-08-2022, 01:33 PM)dubob Wrote: This subject was discussed last ice season and it was determined by the Utah DMV & DNR that there was no state requirement to register Snow Dog type conveyances.  The word from Utah government agencies back then was that they would continue studying this issue.

Since we are now on the verge of a new ice fishing season, I thought it would be good to know if any thing has changed with regard to Snow Dog registration.  I reached out to the Utah DMV and asked them: ‘Has a consensus been reached between Utah DMV and Parks & Rec folks on the matter of registration requirements for Snow Dogs?

Here is their response: ‘Currently there have been no changes concerning the Snow Dogs.  These are currently not requiring a title or registration on them.

Git 'er done!   Big Grin
I’m going to have a few Snow Dog stickers made and put them over my Grizzly 700 badges!
Thanks  for posting and thank you for your efforts. I was working on my dog last week.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(11-08-2022, 06:23 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(11-08-2022, 01:33 PM)dubob Wrote: This subject was discussed last ice season and it was determined by the Utah DMV & DNR that there was no state requirement to register Snow Dog type conveyances.  The word from Utah government agencies back then was that they would continue studying this issue.

Git 'er done!   Big Grin
I’m going to have a few Snow Dog stickers made and put them over my Grizzly 700 badges!

[Image: Laughing.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(11-09-2022, 01:52 PM)dubob Wrote:
(11-08-2022, 06:23 PM)MrShane Wrote:

Git 'er done!   Big Grin

[Image: Laughing.gif]
 Bob - Thanks much for re-checking on this! We had same reactions to Shane's thoughts. There isn't really a way to identify one from another since there are no S/Ns and the motor sizes CC can vary so much. So similar to snow blowers and lawnmowers. Think if they did push to get them registered, we can probably argue about all the other similar machines upping pressures to have them not need to be registered.
(11-10-2022, 06:24 PM)jjannie Wrote: Bob - Thanks much for re-checking on this! We had same reactions to Shane's thoughts. There isn't really a way to identify one from another since there are no S/Ns and the motor sizes CC can vary so much. So similar to snow blowers and lawnmowers. Think if they did push to get them registered, we can probably argue about all the other similar machines upping pressures to have them not need to be registered.
That got a chuckle out of me.  Utah will eventually DEMAND their pound of flesh from us 'dog' owners, and no amount of pushing from the citizenry will change that.  Just be thankful we get another season of 'dog' use without having to pay the piper.  And of course, our elected employees will make the changes in the DMV laws without any input from us users.  Ain't gubment grand?  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for the update. Have been wondering how long until we would have to pay.
I don't have an issue registering when the time comes, but give us a simple process. I don't want to be standing at the dmv for three hours while they try to come up with the best solution since mine is custom so no serial numbers. Hell even if they treated them like a boat and gave us numbers I'd be ok with that.
(11-18-2022, 03:47 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: I don't have an issue registering when the time comes, but give us a simple process. I don't want to be standing at the dmv for three hours while they try to come up with the best solution since mine is custom so no serial numbers. Hell even if they treated them like a boat and gave us numbers I'd be ok with that.
Sorry Dj, but I had to laugh.   Big Grin

Utah; simple process?  Surely, you jest.   Wink
Bob Hicks, from Utah