Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
East Canyon
I'm planning on fly fishing EC next Tuesday in my tube.  Has anyone been up there recently to see how the fishing is?  
I usually fish the upper portion of the reservoir, south of Taylor Hollow.  

Is there very much algae in the water column?

I see the reservoir level has come up since I fished it September 30th but only about two feet.

Any information will be appreciated. Smile
I guess no one gave you an update on EC conditions, unless they did by PM but did you make it over there and give it a try?
wiperhunter2I guess no one gave you an update on EC conditions, unless they did by PM but did you make it over there and give it a try?
 I did.  I fished EC yesterday from about 8:00 until 2:30 from my tube. I launched in Taylor Hollow and fished mostly south from there, toward the inlet. I used both medium and fast sinking lines and caught an equal number on both. The only flies that worked were a size 8 bead head (black bead) pond olive leech with UV crystal flash in the tail and a size 8 bead head (white bead) black leech with dark green crystal flash in the tail. I picked up four rainbows from 14” to 17” long. I hooked five other fish but that was it for the day. Only one of the fish that I caught had a sore on it (picture). The water is still warm enough that the fish are still really frisky.

The water temperature 45-46 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7’- 8’. There is still a lot of algae in the water column, but some spots weren’t too bad. The reservoir is 53% full and rising.

It was a beautiful day with very little wind. The temperature was 11 degrees when I got there and it never did get above freezing. I had ice in the guides all day. This is the time of the year when you get in the water to warm up.

There was a drift boat with a couple of guys fishing but that was it, no shore anglers.

I wanted to go to Birch Creek but UDOT closed the gate. I thought I would do a lot better than I did at EC but it was still fun to watch the eagles, ducks, geese, and deer while I paddled around the pond.

[Image: P1080347-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080349-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080350-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080352-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080354-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080356-2.jpg]
Great report and pics. How many trips up and down the hill did you have to make to get all your gear down to the water? That area where you fished is where we did our best last Fall. I'm kind of surprised you did not do better too, usually there are lots of bows back in that area.
(11-17-2022, 03:35 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics. How many trips up and down the hill did you have to make to get all your gear down to the water? That area where you fished is where we did our best last Fall. I'm kind of surprised you did not do better too, usually there are lots of bows back in that area.
It just took one trip to get my gear down to the water.  

I have pack straps for my float tube so it makes for a quick launch.
(11-17-2022, 03:40 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 03:35 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics. How many trips up and down the hill did you have to make to get all your gear down to the water? That area where you fished is where we did our best last Fall. I'm kind of surprised you did not do better too, usually there are lots of bows back in that area.
It just took one trip to get my gear down to the water.  

I have pack straps for my float tube so it makes for a quick launch.

Wow, that's great, sounds like you have done that type of hike in float before. Were you seeing the deer around the lake or on the drive up from Morgan?
I got the pack straps for fishing Birch Creek.  To get to the reservoir you have to hike up the dam and then back down the other side to launch.

The deer were on the west side of the reservoir.  I did see a lot of deer and turkeys on the way home through Porterville and Morgan.
(11-17-2022, 04:20 AM)gofish435 Wrote: I got the pack straps for fishing Birch Creek.  To get to the reservoir you have to hike up the dam and then back down the other side to launch.

The deer were on the west side of the reservoir.  I did see a lot of deer and turkeys on the way home through Porterville and Morgan.

Birch creek is quite the hike, up to the dam and back down to the water, those pack straps save you a lot of extra work.