Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which sonar do you prefer?
I realize this question is  depending on several things-- how much do you spend, how do you fish, what options do you want.
I hope not to spend more than $450. Given what technology is out there, thats not much to spend.  I think it will get me what I need.
Please tell me what you like about your unit, and maybe how you use it.
I've spent several days with Robert and throughly enjoyed his hospitality and wonderful toys.
Whither you troll for kokes or hunt monster Mac's, I'm sure you have good stories about how your sonar has helped you. 
Do you need all that you payed for?
what brand and model is yours? What options do you like?
(12-05-2022, 01:24 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I realize this question is  depending on several things-- how much do you spend, how do you fish, what options do you want.
I hope not to spend more than $450. Given what technology is out there, thats not much to spend.  I think it will get me what I need.
Please tell me what you like about your unit, and maybe how you use it.
I've spent several days with Robert and throughly enjoyed his hospitality and wonderful toys.
Whither you troll for kokes or hunt monster Mac's, I'm sure you have good stories about how your sonar has helped you. 
Do you need all that you payed for?
what brand and model is yours? What options do you like?

I have ran Birds, Lowrance, and currently Garmin's.  Of the three, I prefer the Garmins.  I feel they offer the best value and I think they are the easiest and most intuitive to use.  They will all provide quality imaging and mapping for you though if you find a good deal on one.  In that price range I would be looking at a used Garmin 93sv UHD with a GT-54 transducer, that will give you 2D, SI, DI, and a decent base map on a 9" screen.  New you will be looking at a 7" screen or smaller in that price range.
I've had just about every brand out there, it's kind of ridiculous how many I've went through and all of them work fairly well, but there are a few things that I've found that I like a lot. Right now my main finder is a Humminbird Helix 9 (I realize this is over the $450 limit, but follow my logic) and here is why I like it. My current unit can be used as both boat and ice unit, it has GPS to let me know where my previous honey holes were, if I had the funds I could put a mapping chip in it, which would be very useful, instead I use the AP on my phone that works fine. (Hint you don't have to have mapping on your sonar) Reason I went with this unit was the abiity to upgrade to a Mega 360 or live view type systems, however, I've found a really nice unit without having to add the high dollar add ons. On the boat this finder provides side scan sonar that really helps to see what is around you off to the side of your current path, it also has an excellent 2D sonar. I added an ice transducer and a shuttle that makes this unit even better than my Marcum LX for ice fishing, it let's you see the fish and your lure, so you can talk the fish into biting (sometimes) Right here I'll mention the limitations on the 2D sonar, 2D has the cone view sort of like a flashlight that the further from the transducer the wider the field of view. In shallow water you see very little area under you so the finder isn't very valuable to you, however, if you throw a mega 360 transducer on, then you can see a hundred feet all around where you are at... Sorry to mention that, you're not wanting $1200 transducers... Guess my reason for mentioning this is I bought a lot of different units that had no upgrade capability and when a new model came out I was back to ground zero and had to pay for the whole new system. With what Humminbird is doing, at least for a couple seasons, is offering a capability that you can increase with buying components like transducers without having to by the whole new system.. So if you wanted to add 360 or livescope options you buy the transducer at $1500 instead of the system at $3500... Garmin works kind of the same way, except they don't offer the 360 type feature, which may not matter to you.... I am not as familiar with the new Lowrance system it may work the same way, I just haven't used that brand recently...

Now another option I chased for a totally different reason was the Sonar Phone, (I think that was the name) it was manufactured by Vexilar and it uses your phone (or Ipad) as the monitor, this is a cheap option and works pretty well. I got it to use as a backpack fish finder, so when I went into the high mountain lakes I could have a finder on my float tube, it worked wonderful for the two or three trips that I took it on... However i got older and can't pack all the tubes waders and fish finders on top of tents and etc anymore... But I liked the simple option so much I bought the bigger option and put it on my boat, it has mapping and for the first couple years I'd use it and it would down load maps to the Navionics site and you could have accurate contours of the lake bottoms and it uploaded them for everyone else to use as well..(it still does this, but now there are maps available so you don't have to chart your own.) However, this was where I learned the difference between a boat transducer and an ice ducer.. I would use this unit on the ice and I found that it was missing a lot of fish..(Long story but was fishing bear lakes clear water and I could see fish below me and the transducer wasn't showing them) Turns out the boat ducers have a fan shaped field that is wide in one direction and narrow in the opposite, so depending on orientation you would either see fish or miss them... Hope I explained that so it made sense... The ice ducer is a round cone, so anything under the cone will be covered and will be shown, it shows a larger area of interest under a particular point... Good for ice fishing... (I say fan because I'm used to spray nozzles and a fan spray nozzle is similar to boat ducer pattern.)

Well now I've thoroughly muddied the water let me try and draw some conclusions.. One know what you want to use your system to do... Is it a totally boat system? Do you want one that goes from boat to ice?, Do you want future expansion capability?, Are there functions you want that can be had using AP's off your phone?, Are you okay with buying used? (If you buy used, best to study and not buy outdated technology and don't pay more than you can buy the same unit on sale.) Not to knock KSL adds but some folks seem to be proud of selling stuff for more than you can get it on Amazon... sorry ran into a guy one day that was so proud of how he screwed someone on the price he charged, really pissed me off that he was such a jerk... Anyway watch out there are those kind out there.. Plus there are those that don't realize when tech is outdated, it's not still worth full price that they paid for it... I used to have this problem of thinking my stuff was worth more than it was really worth, probably still do... but be aware of this when buying electronics especially... When you think you know what you want, get on YouTube and watch some videos about those systems and see if you still like it and if it would work for how you want to use it.. Right now your price point could point you towards both Garmin and Humminbird models that are really good units, Lowrance probably has a similar unit as well, check them out on YouTube, go play with the menu features at Sportsmans Warehouse, see which ones you can figure out how to operate the easiest, or which adjustments make sense to you... You will need to tune your settings to get your finder to work the best for you... But don't be overwhelmed by this, you'll pick it up in time... If you read to this point you can even figure out how to adjust settings in the user manuals so you're good to go... Good luck... and if you have particular questions or would like to see a unit in action let me know... Now since you've seen Roberts stuff, you've undoubtedly seen the best there is on the market so I can't add to that, but I could show you how the lower level systems work... Later Jeff

When it comes to operating the systems go try getting through the menus and see if you can change the sensitivity and contrast, I know some systems are much easier to figure out for some folks. I know a couple folks that both got the Garmins when they were on sale last Christmas and couldn't figure out how to adjust them. After a call to their helpline, they did figure it out, but it kind of ruined their trip... Every time I try to go back to my Marcum LX, I can't remember how to get to the settings, so some are easier to work with than others and you will have to adjust them from time to time...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have another question, the transducer will mount on the transit close to the outboard motor How will this affect the side scan? it seams like it would interfere. Will I need to mount it off the side of my aluminum boat?
Garmin strike finder 4
Garmin SV7, $420.
7" screen, sideview, mapping with CHIRP,
(12-08-2022, 01:43 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Garmin SV7, $420.

Where can you get this price?
(12-07-2022, 11:53 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have another question, the transducer will mount on the transit close to the outboard motor How will this affect the side scan?  it seams like it would interfere. Will I need to mount it off the side of my aluminum boat?

You will most likely have to trim your outboard up slightly so the SI can clear the lower unit.  It's really not much of an issue as SI can only be used at lower speeds anyhow, usually 5-6 mph or less.  FWIW, I would look at a used 9" screen before I would buy a new 7" screen.  SI on a 7" screen is not very useful, and if you are going to run split screens with mapping and sonar, or any other combo, you will run out of screen in a hurry.  Another thing I would suggest, if this is your first time mounting a 3-1 transducer, of any brand. Mount a piece of starboard or similar material to your transom, then you can move your transducer around without drilling a ton of holes in your transom.  There is a very small chance you will get it set perfectly the first time.
(12-08-2022, 01:21 PM)Coho975 Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 11:53 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have another question, the transducer will mount on the transit close to the outboard motor How will this affect the side scan?  it seams like it would interfere. Will I need to mount it off the side of my aluminum boat?

You will most likely have to trim your outboard up slightly so the SI can clear the lower unit.  It's really not much of an issue as SI can only be used at lower speeds anyhow, usually 5-6 mph or less.  FWIW, I would look at a used 9" screen before I would buy a new 7" screen.  SI on a 7" screen is not very useful, and if you are going to run split screens with mapping and sonar, or any other combo, you will run out of screen in a hurry.  Another thing I would suggest, if this is your first time mounting a 3-1 transducer, of any brand. Mount a piece of starboard or similar material to your transom, then you can move your transducer around without drilling a ton of holes in your transom.  There is a very small chance you will get it set perfectly the first time.
Yes good thing to install a cover board, maybe a piece of white plastic,  or nylon. Thanks
I have owned many different brands over the years & now I have Garmins & one Humminbird Helix 5 I use for ice fishing. The Helix 5 is hard for me to "dial in" & many others I  have talked with say the same. They are all pretty amazing !
I think it depends which ones you learn how to dial in... For me the HumminBirds are the easiest to dial in and the Garmins were totally weird, but I'll bet that's because I learned how to do the HumminBirds before I tried the Garmins.. I expect which ever flavor you get, once you spend a little time working on the set up dial in, you will like that kind best, but without learning the how tos both will be difficult.. Good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-08-2022, 03:55 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Sportsmans warehouse on line.
(12-11-2022, 01:48 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

Also online at walmart.com
I would recommend the Humminbird Helix 7. Hands down the best investment for ice fishing. My catch rate double or tripled just by using that unit. You can purchase the boat unit and then pick up an ice transducer. Make sure you get one with chirp. GPS is a plus too. I ended up with a couple. I bought the ice helix 7 GPS from hodges marine for 499 2 years ago. They have increased in price recently.  I also picked up a Helix 5 GPS CHIRP for my kids. Got it off KSL for $200 picked up the chirp ice kit for 200$. Add an Amped outdoors LiFePO4 battery for 90$ and you have a mean ice fishing machine. Amped has 15% off if use promo code AMPED15. Only downside to the Helix 7 is the battery life. That screen is big and uses some power. I purchased the 18AH Amped battery for it and when you turn your brightness to night mode and maybe around level 5 you can get 3 full days of solid fishing on it. The sealed lead acid battery that comes with them will last one day on night mode. only 3-4 hours if you use the full brightness. Turn your chart speed up to "ultra" it is super fast and basically live.

I bought one of the garmin striker 4 plus with GPS ice units a year ago for my kids. I figured for 200$ it could be great for them. The chart speed is so slow it is very frustrating. You would jig and then like 2 seconds later you could see it move on the graph. I took it to Pineview and you could see the perch in about 27' of water. I also took it to the gorge and in 100' of water I couldn't see my jig at all. I returned it as soon as I got back. The Garmin striker 4 has 1600 watts and does not advertise the target separation. The Helix 7 has 3/4" target separation and is 4000 watts. I think the Marcum has like 1/4" and 4800 watts. 

Personally I would splurge for a helix 5 or 7. It is a complete game changer.
(12-11-2022, 01:48 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

They have them online but out of stock.
Y'all use whatever floats your boat.  For ice fishing, I'll continue using the very best there is - Vexilar FLX28.   Big Grin  

As to GPS, I use the Navionics app on my android phone.  It costs me about $15 a year and worth every penny.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I am great full to every one, great response and informative. I found lots of good units but mostly out of stock..
I've Had two hummingbird s years ago, currently have a striker 4, it has been easy to use and very good for down images, great on the ice.
The last two years I've kind of changed my fish. I'm now all into kokes, and still love walleyes, although hard to get the last two years.
I've decided on the Garmin 7sv,dv,with gps and maps . Got it online at Walmart.

[Image: 20221216-102447.jpg]

Now there is lots to learn. But first I need to figure out where and how to mount the transducer.
Open for advice..
Once again thanks to you all..
(12-16-2022, 05:46 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I am great full to every one, great response and informative.  I found lots of good units but mostly out of stock..
I've Had two hummingbird s years ago, currently have a striker 4, it has been easy to use and very good for down images,  great on the ice.
The last two years I've kind of changed my fish. I'm now all into kokes, and still love walleyes, although hard to get the last two years.
I've decided on the Garmin 7sv,dv,with gps and maps .  Got it online at Walmart.

[Image: 20221216-102447.jpg]

Now there is lots to learn. But first I need to figure out where and how to mount the transducer.
Open for advice..
Once again thanks to you all..

Good choice, you will not be disappointed.  There are good educational videos on you tube to help you learn all it can do.
My Marcum showdown bit the dust.  I went with the Garmin plus 4.  It came with the boat transducer.  I modified the showdown bag to put the Garmin unit inside.  Took out for a test trial and caught fish with it.
[Image: 3-DB044-E9-CD18-4-B07-BE0-F-DAE815-A69977.jpg]

[Image: 5000-C460-691-E-4-C76-94-A4-63-BD0-CF57314.jpg]

[Image: D143-B70-B-27-BC-4-C8-D-89-C2-40-E8-A0-B52-D98.jpg]
Did you get the GT 20 or the GT 52 transducer?

I like to mount my transducer on a separate rod attached to the transom.  That makes it so I don't have to drill holes below the waterline, which I just don't like to do.

It also makes micro adjustments easier to do and makes the unit semi portable to take on vacations and mount on rental boats. Although I have a CV 4 that fills that purpose very well.

What is the boat it is going on? Aluminum or fiberglass?  Deep V"?  What angle of deadrise?