Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Here it comes....
For  those watching for ice, just noticed on the damcam that there is an ice shelf starting to build in the NE corner of Hyrum Reservoir... Long ways from safe ice, but it's began, so maybe we'll be fishing there before Christmas... Hope so anyway... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Shawn will be there tonight lol
Ya but for the rest of us that can't walk on water it will be awhile... Alan when you're on your drive about it was the corner below the old Miller mansion that had tacked up... It was low teens most of the night and still only 17 as the storm starts to move in, so hopefully it will build from here... Usually once it starts it ends up tacking over in the next week or so if the temperatures stay good and we don't get too much wind...

I can't believe it but I didn't get any fall fishing in on Hyrum this year so I don't even know what to expect for the ice season this year.. Have you been on that pond since your spring bass trips? Ever since they quit planting very many rainbows and the perch numbers dropped off as much as they have, it's been more difficult to motivate me to go give it a try... Hope it changes my mind this winter, but I haven't checked the planting reports this year to see if they went back to their old strategy of plant and take for that pond... This is really a good pond to plant bows in and with all the summer recreation they don't get fished too much until fall and winter so you get nice 14+" bows that are really fun to catch... Since they have been turning to warm water fish in every lake they need to keep a couple trout fisheries (I know some folks don't think so, but I happen to be one that does.) and Hyrum is a great lake to do that in, the fish grow fast and get big if they plant large enough numbers so they don't all get fished out before they get good sized anyway that's my daily soap box preaching... Carry on... Later J
Echo is the same. Capping but slowly
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Checked the stocking report and they planted half as many bows in garden city pond as they did in Hyrum this year... Like GC pond is tiny, Hyrum is well over a hundred times the size and they planted 9000 ish in Hyrum and 5000+ in GC pond.... Really????? No wonder Hyrum isn't fishing like it used to... At least they planted bigger fish in September that should be good come the ice season... However, with the number of ice fishermen there, that will be about 5 fish each... Good thing I don't keep my fish so maybe I can catch them twice... Oh better yet they planted more rainbows in Wellsville pond than in Hyrum last year, like a thousand more.... Guess we need to start fishing the community ponds... What is the rationale for not planting the real lakes???? I assume they think you have to have a boat to fish the lakes, but they forget how popular the ice fishing is and how many people it draws....

So am I missing something? I've never fished the community ponds, do a lot of folks fish them? Why are they putting so many fish in them...
Later J

Sounds good Lance, Is Rockport similar to Echo, so it may be starting to cap as well? I haven't ever fished Rockport, but was going to try and give a hand with the perch fest in January so I need to figure out where to go and what to do up that way... Thanks for your update... Jeff
Tea cup diagrams show Hyrum is 65% full, so I hope that they don't raise level constantly as they did last winter which kept the edges always open.  I'm not one to go out if you need to use a plank.
I think the agricultural water rights are older on Hyrum, so they will fill Hyrum up before they start holding any water in Porcupine, so probably expect the same type year... I hate the bad edge ice as well... wish there was a better way to keep a safe passage onto the ice sheet... Later J
(12-08-2022, 08:09 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: For  those watching for ice, just noticed on the damcam that there is an ice shelf starting to build in the NE corner of Hyrum Reservoir... Long ways from safe ice, but it's began, so maybe we'll be fishing there before Christmas... Hope so anyway... Later J

Thanks for the infoSmile
You're welcome, little more ice there today, but still not much... at this growth rate, it will take a while to cap... Next week it looks like deeper cold coming, so maybe that will do it for us... Later J
No water is being released at porcupine and last year the south fork (no dams or other controls on it other then a diversion when they turn on the ag water) is what was running so well that Hyrum was rising all season
(12-09-2022, 10:14 PM)2knots Wrote: No water is being released at porcupine and last year the south fork (no dams or other controls on it other then a diversion when they turn on the ag water) is what was running so well that Hyrum was rising all season
Well, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of the water thing, but can tell you that Hyrum seems to holding steady as to fill (per the data)  and there is more water being released that a week ago.  So, maybe it is where it'll stay for the winter leaving room for expected run off and/or meeting needs of downstream users?  Don't know except that I typically fish it several times a winter with no on and off issues, but didn't fish it last year because of the poor edges.

I'm not sure about 'south fork' you mention as to my knowledge the Little Bear is what enters and exits Hyrum, and that is at times dry in summer few miles upstream of dam.
(12-09-2022, 11:49 PM)smokepoles Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 10:14 PM)2knots Wrote: No water is being released at porcupine and last year the south fork (no dams or other controls on it other then a diversion when they turn on the ag water) is what was running so well that Hyrum was rising all season
Well, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of the water thing, but can tell you that Hyrum seems to holding steady as to fill (per the data)  and there is more water being released that a week ago.  So, maybe it is where it'll stay for the winter leaving room for expected run off and/or meeting needs of downstream users?  Don't know except that I typically fish it several times a winter with no on and off issues, but didn't fish it last year because of the poor edges.

I'm not sure about 'south fork' you mention as to my knowledge the Little Bear is what enters and exits Hyrum, and that is at times dry in summer few miles upstream of dam.

The south fork (of the little bear) comes in along the dirt road that goes over to Liberty, as you head up the road about 2-3 miles (past the turn to porcupine) it crosses the road coming in from the east. The little Bear and the south fork join on the south side of Avon.
(12-10-2022, 03:16 AM)2knots Wrote:

The south fork (of the little bear) comes in along the dirt road that goes over to Liberty, as you head up the road about 2-3 miles (past the turn to porcupine) it crosses the road coming in from the east. The little Bear and the south fork join on the south side of Avon.
OK, understood, been along there.  I guess I always called it just Little Bear, although I do see the map does state South Fork Little Bear above where Davenport comes in.  For sure  the south fork is big player in what water gets to Hyrum, but still not clear how/why they decide to keep in Hyrum rise or let out as apparently doing now.  Surely, there almost always be enough water to fill Hyrum in spring, so how much do you fill in wintwer? Must be many factors such as expected runoff, the targets/responsibility to further downstream, need to leave room in Hyrum so it can buffer spring run off, etc.
(12-10-2022, 06:03 AM)smokepoles Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 03:16 AM)2knots Wrote:

OK, understood, been along there.  I guess I always called it just Little Bear, although I do see the map does state South Fork Little Bear above where Davenport comes in.  For sure  the south fork is big player in what water gets to Hyrum, but still not clear how/why they decide to keep in Hyrum rise or let out as apparently doing now.  Surely, there almost always be enough water to fill Hyrum in spring, so how much do you fill in wintwer? Must be many factors such as expected runoff, the targets/responsibility to further downstream, need to leave room in Hyrum so it can buffer spring run off, etc.

This past spring it definitely filled up from the south fork run off as porcupine didn’t start releasing until after it was full. The road across the dam has been closed again so something is being worked on down there but don’t know what
I ran up to Rockport to check on ducks for a potential hunt (not enough to make the effort) The upper shallow end is starting to ice over but most of the lake is still open. This was last Thurs, but with the warmer temps of the past few days, I'm sure it hasn't gotten better.
I'm not sure what's up if they are releasing water now, I guess those water managers know what they are doing, seems risky to be letting water go before you know you're going to have enough to fill things up... maybe they have a deal to send water to the Salt Lake, seems their dust prevention has more traction than having food for us next year so maybe that is what is going on...

Hey I did go step on the ice Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to see about 5" on Cutler where I fell through last week early... So I guess I should have taken a ride to Newton (if I would have had time) anyway I'd say we are getting closer to being able to fish more safely... Not that it's time to go without checking, but maybe the risk level is getting to where normal folks dare start thinking about trying it... Later J
Looks like the wind and storm cleared the ice off of Hyrum, back to square one dang it.... But lots of cold on the way and we know the water temps are low enough to lock up now, so maybe by next weekend... Later J
(12-12-2022, 02:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Looks like the wind and storm cleared the ice off of Hyrum, back to square one dang it.... But lots of cold on the way and we know the water temps are low enough to lock up now, so maybe by next weekend... Later J

Actually, open water an the predicted cold presents a great chance of setting clear, strong ice for the winter.  Much better thn having snow cover form over still unsafe ice. 

Hyrum is holding steady at 65% full.
Good point it will make better ice and should freeze faster without the snow insulation on there... Just have to make sure our spikes are available to keep us upright on the clear glass sheet... Did you fish Hyrum much this fall? What are your predictions, should I buy an annual park pass or will a day pass be enough to get my fill? Thanks J
(12-12-2022, 03:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Good point it will make better ice and should freeze faster without the snow insulation on there... Just have to make sure our spikes are available to keep us upright on the clear glass sheet... Did you fish Hyrum much this fall?  What are your predictions, should I buy an annual park pass or will a day pass be enough to get my fill? Thanks J

This year, and most generally, I fish Hyrum for bass in the spring and then not until the hard water.  The two winters before last grandson and I did well for perch on Hyrum when fishing slowed on Mantua.  Big bluegills are my favorite, but Manta almost always goes through some midwinter doldrums.  Not knowing how much it takes to fill you, I'd say get the pass especially if you are a senior!