Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report (Bonneville WF are running!)
Had a chance to get out on the lake on Tuesday for a few hours.  Here is an updated report from
our trip and some other anglers who gave me their reports.  

Boat launching is available at the Utah State Park Marina on the west side of the lake.
Launching is also available at the First Point and Rainbow Cove ramps on the lake’s east side,
but the water level on the east side is low. The First Point and Rainbow Cove ramps are now
considered “use at your own risk” due to the concrete at the end of the ramps having a drop off
of nearly a foot or more. If you use either of these ramps, make sure you don’t back your trailer
tires over the bottom edge of the ramp as it might be very difficult to pull your boat and trailer
back out. Not going off the end of the ramp will also prevent costly damage to your trailer,
especially if you’re towing a larger boat. The “low water concrete ramp” at Cisco Beach is now
useable, but you’ll need a four-wheel-drive vehicle as the shoreline above the ramp is rocky. If
you need a dock in order to launch, please launch at the Utah State Park marina as it’s the only
launching ramp with a boat dock close to it.

The Bonneville whitefish spawning run is "on," and anglers are doing fair to good fishing for
whitefish. The best spots have been off the Bear Lake State Park marina and Cisco Beach in
about 7 to 15 feet of water. With the lower water level this fall, locations that have been
productive over the past few years (Gus Rich Point and Second Point) either don’t have water
or are too shallow to hold whitefish this year. When fishing for whitefish, tip a small 1/16- to 1/8-
ounce jig or spoon with a small piece of nightcrawler, and fish the lure close to the bottom. You
can do this by casting out and bouncing the lure back to your boat or by jigging it vertically
under your boat. Use light rods and reels with 4- to 6-pound monofilament line or a superline
with a 3- to 4-foot monofilament leader. The bites are light, so pay close attention, and try to
keep your line tight. Anglers who are fishing for whitefish are also doing well catching both
cutthroat trout and lake trout. If trout are the only fish you want to catch, vertically jig using a 1/2-
to 1-ounce jig with a 4- to 6-inch tube, twister tail or swim bait tipped with a piece of cisco meat
or a nightcrawler. Let the jig bounce right on the bottom, lifting it up about 12 to 18 inches and
then dropping it back. Many of the strikes happen when the lure is falling back to the bottom, so
pay attention to your line. If you notice the lure/line stops sinking, set the hook and hold on! Try
fishing in depths between 15 and 65 feet deep.

Those who prefer to troll are catching both cutthroat trout and lake trout using minnow-type
crankbaits and flatfish trolled close to the bottom. Try the rockpile area, Cisco Beach and from
Second Point north to the Idaho state line. 
If you’d like to fish from shore, you can catch whitefish by fishing off the Utah State Park marina,

Cisco Beach and even Second Point using the same technique mentioned above. Wearing
chest waders, and then wading out so you can cast your offerings into slightly deeper waters,
can increase your success rate.

Reminder: The trout limit is two fish. There is no longer a fin clip regulation for cutthroat trout,
so you can keep any cutthroat trout up to your two fish limit. Lake trout take a long time to reach
a large size. While large lake trout are legal to keep, many anglers are encouraging other
anglers to release them. If you plan on releasing fish, try to land the fish quickly and then get it
back into the water without any delays. You may consider using a ‘descending device’ that
allows you to decompress the fish and release it into deeper water.
Thanks for the report Scott, did you catch any fish on the east side? I got half way across the lake and hit some big waves so I turned back not knowing whether they would get worse later in the day, plus I wouldn't have had much time to fish that side when I got there.. It was nice to have a mostly calm morning, it made the fishing a lot easier for me to detect the bites... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-09-2022, 12:47 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report Scott, did you catch any fish on the east side?  I got half way across the lake and hit some big waves so I turned back not knowing whether they would get worse later in the day, plus I wouldn't have had much time to fish that side when I got there..  It was nice to have a mostly calm morning, it made the fishing a lot easier for me to detect the bites... Thanks for the report... Jeff

Yes, we did quite well at Cisco Beach.  The 2nd Point area is just too shallow to hold a lot of fish this year.  The rocks only go out to about 6-7' of water and then just a sand/marl.  We fished in about 7-11 feet of water and caught most fish vertical jigging due to the rough water and trying to feel the bite.  Seemed like yellow was the best color yesterday but white was a close second.  Also caught several nice cutts and even one laker.   My other friend who was fishing  just to the north of us, ended up with 4 cutts and 4 lakers and NO whitefish.  They were in 15-17' of water jigging vertically while anchored.  Don't use those spot-lock trolling motors in the shallow, clear water of Bear Lake or its likely you won't catch fish since they will spook them everytime!  Use the regular old anchor to hold your position.  Fun day after 2pm when the lake layed down to calm again.  From about noon to 2pm it was a bit choppy for sure.
Thanks for the report Scott.
Appreciate this detailed report for the lake. Thank you!
Thanks Scott, just seems like the days aren't long enough for me when I get over there it's hard to fish more than one or two spots... Glad you found them and got on the fish... Don't know if I'll make it back until cisco time, but thanks for the info... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!