Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice rod case?
Santa might be bringing me an ice rod holder. He just wants to know which brand is best and where to pick it up. He thinks Eagle Claw makes a good one. Can anyone advise him?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Santa brought me the Scheels brand last year and I'm rather fond of that one. It's  made in the USA and I like the tackle storage incorporated into it.
Craig I love my Eagle claw cases, I have 3, bought 2 new and picked up one used... I know there are nicer cases out there, but for the money I think they are hard to beat.. Main thing I don't like is you are limited to 40" rods, and it's a little tight to line up all the reels so you can fit 6 in the case... Well if you have short rods I've actually stored 8 rods in there, but if all the rods and reels are the same length you have to adjust reel handles so they fit. But I love to have six rods all rigged and ready to go and not having them all tangle up with each other. Plenty of room to put plenty of tackle in there too... You're welcome to check mine out whenever you're around... I keep one at home with the rods that aren't being used. One has my trout/jaw jacker rods in it and the other one is my go box that lately has mostly panfish rods in it... But depending on the trip I may change the gear in them... What I really would like to get is a wall rod rack that I could put all my arsenal in and then be able to grab the rods I want for each trip.. Too often I show up with panfish rods to tackle trout, or flimsy jaw jacker rods when I need something stiff to set a hook in fast bumping crappie... Dang marketers that figured out how to get me to know the difference between tools.. Somehow it was easier to just us a hammer for everything, even if sometimes a screwdriver might work better... But really most of the time I just don't like to tie on different tackle with cold fingers and no reading glasses...

If you have a big budget Santa, I seen some really nice gun cases in Harbor Freight, that you can customize to fit your rods just the way you want, but I think they were about $170, but they would hold up to 4' rods I think... They are deep so your rods would fit in like the Eagle Claw, but you would need to plan out where you wanted everything before you started removing foam to custom fit each rod... Good luck being nice so Santa finds you... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!