Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield
I was waiting to see if someone else was going to post about Scofield this weekend but it looks like it's me.  Went to Madsen Bay Friday night and Saturday morning. Took a snowmobile about a mile south of the launch.  The word of the day was slush!  There was 8 or 9 inches of solid clear ice then 4 to 5 inches of slush with about 2 or 3 inches of fresh snow over the slush.  Don't know how much more snow they got with this last storm but that probably won't help with the slush issue.  The catching wasn't as constant as it was the weekend before but was still decent. 40 fish in about 6 hours of total fishing. I kept my machine moving pretty good through the slush so did not get stuck but I could see how if someone stopped for any reason in the deep stuff it might be hard to get going again. You can find areas where the slush is not as bad which is where I set up.
(12-12-2022, 11:52 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote: I was waiting to see if someone else was going to post about Scofield this weekend but it looks like it's me.  Went to Madsen Bay Friday night and Saturday morning. Took a snowmobile about a mile south of the launch.  The word of the day was slush!  There was 8 or 9 inches of solid clear ice then 4 to 5 inches of slush with about 2 or 3 inches of fresh snow over the slush.  Don't know how much more snow they got with this last storm but that probably won't help with the slush issue.  The catching wasn't as constant as it was the weekend before but was still decent. 40 fish in about 6 hours of total fishing. I kept my machine moving pretty good through the slush so did not get stuck but I could see how if someone stopped for any reason in the deep stuff it might be hard to get going again. You can find areas where the slush is not as bad which is where I set up.

Seems early for the slush to be that bad already, glad you got into them again, even if it was slower. Still a lot of folks fishing there?
(12-13-2022, 12:30 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 11:52 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote: I was waiting to see if someone else was going to post about Scofield this weekend but it looks like it's me.  Went to Madsen Bay Friday night and Saturday morning. Took a snowmobile about a mile south of the launch.  The word of the day was slush!  There was 8 or 9 inches of solid clear ice then 4 to 5 inches of slush with about 2 or 3 inches of fresh snow over the slush.  Don't know how much more snow they got with this last storm but that probably won't help with the slush issue.  The catching wasn't as constant as it was the weekend before but was still decent. 40 fish in about 6 hours of total fishing. I kept my machine moving pretty good through the slush so did not get stuck but I could see how if someone stopped for any reason in the deep stuff it might be hard to get going again. You can find areas where the slush is not as bad which is where I set up.

Seems early for the slush to be that bad already, glad you got into them again, even if it was slower. Still a lot of folks fishing there?

Not as many as the weekend before but still quite a few, especially over by the damn.  Maybe the slush wasn't over there.
Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of heading up to Scofield this weekend with my son and trying near the dam. Any suggestions on lures or bait to use?
(12-14-2022, 06:00 PM)drekabi Wrote: Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of heading up to Scofield this weekend with my son and trying near the dam. Any suggestions on lures or bait to use?

We always do great with white jigs tipped with chub meat. Meal or wax worms can do the trick as well, but chunks of chub seem to be the ticket for us. We had several hits last weekend as our lines barely went into the water, only 2-3 feet down.
(12-15-2022, 03:30 AM)dibb03 Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 06:00 PM)drekabi Wrote: Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of heading up to Scofield this weekend with my son and trying near the dam. Any suggestions on lures or bait to use?

We always do great with white jigs tipped with chub meat. Meal or wax worms can do the trick as well, but chunks of chub seem to be the ticket for us. We had several hits last weekend as our lines barely went into the water, only 2-3 feet down.

Thanks for sharing. Thinking of heading up there myself. I’ll post a report if we get into any kind of success.