Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier creek
Thought I’d test my skills today during the worst fishing hours (11:30-3:00). Smacked a bomber right out of the gate which gave me a false sense of confidence. Ended up catching half dozen or so cutts and bows mixed. Missed several others. The fish were suspended up in the first 10 ft pretty much the whole time. Ice was about 3-3.5 inches, slim enough that I didn’t wander a ton. They liked tube jigs with meal worm or chub meat. The roads to strawberry, the soldier creek boat ramp, and soldier creek dam were all crap, about 10 inches of snow unplowed, almost got stuck on my way into the soldier boat ramp. Hopefully they clear it after these storms. Take home: it’s Fishable, the roads sucked, and fish before 11:30 or after 3:00 and you will do better than me but still a nice afternoon.
When do they close the road?
(12-13-2022, 02:02 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: When do they close the road?

Not sure what access looks like through the winter. I was hoping they would plow for some cabin access back in there but I’ve never really tried until yesterday. Maybe someone else could help us out??
I have never seen the road plowed from the highway to the ramp. The people that have homes in that area park just off the highway, jump on their snow machines and and ride home.

If you were able to drive down to the ramp, you did good, that might be the last time for the season. Come about April , depending on the snow, you might be able to once again drive in.
(12-13-2022, 02:45 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote:

Not sure what access looks like through the winter. I was hoping they would plow for some cabin access back in there but I’ve never really tried until yesterday. Maybe someone else could help us out??

They don’t plow that road, all those box trailers by the highway is where the folks with cabins keep their snow machines and snow cats. Every year people try and drive in on the snow packed road get stuck and a pretty hefty tow bill. Only road that is plowed to the lake is to the Strawberry Marina which is plowed by them and they ask for a fee so they can maintain it for access during the winter

As others have said, no one plows that road. In the past i have parked in the small parking lot off the highway and walked to the lake. Not a bad hike and it is less crowded.
(12-13-2022, 11:15 PM)Urbanforester365 Wrote:

As others have said, no one plows that road. In the past i have parked in the small parking lot off the highway and walked to the lake. Not a bad hike and it is less crowded.

Awesome! Thank you all for the info! Good to know what to expect in the future.