Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming gorge
Took my buddy on most likely his last trip to the gorge. Weather was cold and colder. linwoood is opened up at night now and the jigging crew was on the beds. Only launch to the left of the wedge dock to the right has a hump. Marked more fish in the j channel than Linwood. Still didn’t get the 30lb goal this year but I attribute a lot of that to going and learning how to catch the Kokenee up there. Still got him a decent one

[Image: 8-DF15-AA2-5-B0-A-4-A4-C-A4-D2-8-BE509-D13-CC9.jpg]
Thanks for the report, good info... So did you notice where the ice is at? I've heard it's down below the confluence.... So on your buddy's last trip, was that because it was so cold, or hopefully not because of bad things that will prevent a return trip... but it's good you got him a nice fish whether he returns or not... Don't know why, but it seems like those boat trips just before ice up are so much more cold than ice fishing ever is... I think that's about as cold as I've ever gotten... well duck hunting December as a kid and picking up decoys was by far the coldest I've ever been... Thanks for sending chills up my spine... later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-14-2022, 05:33 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report, good info... So did you notice where the ice is at?  I've heard it's down below the confluence....  So on your buddy's last trip, was that because it was so cold, or hopefully not because of bad things that will prevent a return trip... but it's good you got him a nice fish whether he returns or not...  Don't know why, but it seems like those boat trips just before ice up are so much more cold than ice fishing ever is... I think that's about as cold as I've ever gotten... well duck hunting December as a kid and picking up decoys was by far the coldest I've ever been... Thanks for sending chills up my spine... later Jeff

Jeff, as of last Saturday the ice ended just above Currant Creek.  I fished in the Confluence where ice thickness was 4-inches, so I suspect it was much thinner further down lake.

Hope it helps, Ryno
(12-14-2022, 05:33 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report, good info... So did you notice where the ice is at?  I've heard it's down below the confluence....  So on your buddy's last trip, was that because it was so cold, or hopefully not because of bad things that will prevent a return trip... but it's good you got him a nice fish whether he returns or not...  Don't know why, but it seems like those boat trips just before ice up are so much more cold than ice fishing ever is... I think that's about as cold as I've ever gotten... well duck hunting December as a kid and picking up decoys was by far the coldest I've ever been... Thanks for sending chills up my spine... later Jeff

We didn’t even make it to the Wyoming side. We only saw open water. Hopefully Ryno’s response helps.
 Probably his last trip because he has been fighting prostate cancer. I’ve had the honor of taking him on multiple fishing trips to get his bucket list done. Including a great trip on the Columbia river catching a huge sturgeon. 
He really wanted to pull steel line and a 15 pounder isn’t going to break any records but it’s the largest fish he’s ever caught in a lake so that goes for something.
Ryan, thank you for the ice update... been hearing rumors, but nice to know they are true... Thank you...

Sorry to hear your buddy has cancer, that's the tough last trip, I was afraid that was what you might be referring to, but I was hoping for the best for you... Really glad you got him on a great fish, makes some fun memories for the both of you... Hope things go as well as possible for him and you... nice to help fill some bucket list items for him... best wishes... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!