Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anything on pineview
My sister and her husband are comming up In a few days and woild like to catch some crappie and my knowledge of utah waters are not up to snuff. I would appreciate any Information thanks how is the ice safe?
I wish I could help you more. I know that some people have caught a bunch of crappie at the top end of Newton in years past. In the south end crappie are available at Provo harbor. It might be easier for you if you could look for some perch. Good luck.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Ice fishing for crappie in PV is primarily a nighttime, evening and very early morning game for me. They tend to run in one size class big enough to be interesting, one size class a lot smaller than that and a few very nice ones if you can find them.

I used to fish mostly Cemetery Point, but recently prefer the Narrows. Much of that is because I got some sonar finally, and before that I could consistently find them on the bottom arpund 40' out by Cemetary, but my ability to find suspended fish let's me hit more places confidently

They like quietness once you are set up sometimes and other times don't care. I sometimes fish clear until modnight or even 2 am.

I fish with fairly large jigs because I am usually fishing deep-ish. They don't seem bothered. They like perch eyes, wax worms, and sometimes Crappie Nibbles or other Alive
stuff like the fake spikes.

When I say large, I'm still only talking about little rocker or banana jigs, or little Forage Fry baby spoons, maybe 1/8 a small glow spoon, up to 1/8 oz.. I took one guy with me who shocked me by cleaning up with a regular 1.5" glow tube jig.

It's gotten as cold as -14 F, so bring a shelter if you have one. I've gotten by sitting with my lantern on the ground between my feet, sort of hovering over it for warmth.

The ice should be good y now,but I would venture out o to it in daylight to check it out, and get set up for the evening..
Where would you park?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-24-2022, 12:33 AM)catchinon Wrote: Where would you park?

Ah, good question. 

I've heard all the kerfluffle, but are we no longer allowed that access point near the caretaker's by the Narrows.
(12-24-2022, 02:03 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:

Ah, good question. 

I've heard all the kerfluffle, but are we no longer allowed that access point near the caretaker's by the Narrows.

Yes, you can park there and the parking lot at Swim surfers beach, it's just a steep walk down to the ice in both location, so us older folks don't like those location.
(12-24-2022, 04:02 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Ah, good question. 

Yes, you can park there and the parking lot at Swim surfers beach, it's just a steep walk down to the ice in both location, so us older folks don't like those location.
Yeah, my Dad turns 80 this year.
(12-28-2022, 12:22 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 04:02 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Ah, good question. 

Yeah, my Dad turns 80 this year.
Then I doubt he would like the walk down from either location.