Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 12/18
Went and hit hyrum today. Ice was about 2.5"-3" around the boat ramp. Fished out and around the dock. Marked a couple fish but nothing ever bit. By the time I left a group had set up off swim beach.
(12-18-2022, 08:17 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Went and hit hyrum today. Ice was about 2.5"-3" around the boat ramp. Fished out and around the dock. Marked a couple fish but nothing ever bit. By the time I left a group had set up off swim beach.

Were you there off the ramp and a guy came out and you talked to him?
(12-18-2022, 09:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 08:17 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Went and hit hyrum today. Ice was about 2.5"-3" around the boat ramp. Fished out and around the dock. Marked a couple fish but nothing ever bit. By the time I left a group had set up off swim beach.

I hit swim beach and the out let only had one bit with 6 rods out

Ya in a white camo coat?
(12-18-2022, 09:50 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:

Ya in a white camo coat?

2knots told me he went over there today and talked to a guy out there. This is a pic he took.

[Image: hyrumfirstice.jpg]
I was in the brown Chevy with the matching shell and pulled down the ramp, wearing a dark blue sweatshirt
(12-18-2022, 10:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Ya in a white camo coat?

2knots told me he went over there today and talked to a guy out there. This is a pic he took.

Yup that's me haha

(12-18-2022, 11:22 PM)2knots Wrote: I was in the brown Chevy with the matching shell and pulled down the ramp, wearing a dark blue sweatshirt

Gotcha ya I knew I had seen that truck before but couldn't remember where
(12-18-2022, 11:27 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 10:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Ya in a white camo coat?

Yup that's me haha

(12-18-2022, 11:22 PM)2knots Wrote: I was in the brown Chevy with the matching shell and pulled down the ramp, wearing a dark blue sweatshirt

Gotcha ya I knew I had seen that truck before but couldn't remember where

Up at the Pig last year we chatted. Bummer the fish never went for you today
You would think with new ice, the catching would be on fire, how deep were you fishing?

I've been fishing from the dam until it started to ice up.  1 trout in a few weeks of fishing and retying 100 or so times. Makes me nervous for the rest of the season.
I hate to pee on the fire, but the last two years the division has only been planting like 5000 fish, so it's probably a result of what the division is doing... They put twice as many fish into Wellsville pond as they did into Hyrum.... Not very happy with their management practices at Hyrum... Kind of crazy how popular Hyrum is and they aren't doing anything to keep it going... I think they figured the perch would stay a main focus at Hyrum, but with low water perch always cycle up and down... We're in the down side of things and they should have seen that last winter and planted some trout to keep the large numbers of ice anglers happy this year, they didn't so I expect Hyrum to be on a downer this year... Newton is about fished out as well, not sure why they didn't try a little harder to do something at Hyrum... I mean they planted as many fish in Tony Grove as they did Hyrum and it has a very short season to fish it before the winter kills it out.... Maybe it's time to fish Idaho this year... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-19-2022, 02:28 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I hate to pee on the fire, but the last two years the division has only been planting like 5000 fish, so it's probably a result of what the division is doing... They put twice as many fish into Wellsville pond as they did into Hyrum.... Not very happy with their management practices at Hyrum... Kind of crazy how popular Hyrum is and they aren't doing anything to keep it going... I think they figured the perch would stay a main focus at Hyrum, but with low water perch always cycle up and down... We're in the down side of things and they should have seen that last winter and planted some trout to keep the large numbers of ice anglers happy this year, they didn't so I expect Hyrum to be on a downer this year... Newton is about fished out as well, not sure why they didn't try a little harder to do something at Hyrum... I mean they planted as many fish in Tony Grove as they did Hyrum and it has a very short season to fish it before the winter kills it out.... Maybe it's time to fish Idaho this year... Later J
I have to wonder Jeff if the fact that Hyrum has pretty much turned into a power squadron venue, and they far outnumber the fishing users.  That and the very small size of the venue itself.  I can't think of any Wasatch Front State Park venue that is smaller than Hyrum.  It's been my experience over the last dozen or so years that even during the week, I can only peacefully boat fish Hyrum until about 10:30 to 11:00 before the power squadron makes it difficult to control the boat due to wakes pushing the boat from all sides.  Weekends it's even worse.  You have my deepest sympathies.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-19-2022, 02:49 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 02:28 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I hate to pee on the fire, but the last two years the division has only been planting like 5000 fish, so it's probably a result of what the division is doing... They put twice as many fish into Wellsville pond as they did into Hyrum.... Not very happy with their management practices at Hyrum... Kind of crazy how popular Hyrum is and they aren't doing anything to keep it going... I think they figured the perch would stay a main focus at Hyrum, but with low water perch always cycle up and down... We're in the down side of things and they should have seen that last winter and planted some trout to keep the large numbers of ice anglers happy this year, they didn't so I expect Hyrum to be on a downer this year... Newton is about fished out as well, not sure why they didn't try a little harder to do something at Hyrum... I mean they planted as many fish in Tony Grove as they did Hyrum and it has a very short season to fish it before the winter kills it out.... Maybe it's time to fish Idaho this year... Later J
I have to wonder Jeff if the fact that Hyrum has pretty much turned into a power squadron venue, and they far outnumber the fishing users.  That and the very small size of the venue itself.  I can't think of any Wasatch Front State Park venue that is smaller than Hyrum.  It's been my experience over the last dozen or so years that even during the week, I can only peacefully boat fish Hyrum until about 10:30 to 11:00 before the power squadron makes it difficult to control the boat due to wakes pushing the boat from all sides.  Weekends it's even worse.  You have my deepest sympathies.

I think you're correct for the summer planting and I can see that, but Hyrum is fished so heavy in the winter, I can't believe they don't manage to the winter crowds... You mentioned that Hyrum is small, but have you seen Wellsville pond?  To think they put double the number of fish in there that they do in Hyrum blows my mind, plus 5000 fish for a lake as big as it is verses the hundreds of thousands of fish they put into Strawberry and the gorge, I think they could spare a few more from those heavy hitters and put 10-15K into Hyrum... Especially where Hyrum won't go dry, when it's at the bottom of the release allotment they still have over 30 FOW in most of the west end... I'm going to have to get off my lazy kiester and find out when their meeting are to go express my thoughts over their Hyrum management or lack of... Later J
I'm not sure what the 'answer' is for Hyrum, or many other state parks.  I've lived near the lake for near 4 decades and the changes to the park have mirrored growth in the valley (and beyond) and corresponding demands for outdoor recreation. Loved to death is correct.  Indeed, the sizes and numbers of power boats on the lake from Memorial to Labor Day is amazing. One good thing about COVID is that they started (an now continue) to limit numbers somewhat as years prior they would just jam them in and park them in the group camp overflow.  The beach is also full all summer with many walkins from street after parking lot fills.  Amazing the wash from the boats on the beach and entire shore - young grandson won't even go in its so dirty.  Amongst this there are us who prefer to fish and the changes there have been lamented in this thread.
(12-19-2022, 03:25 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: You mentioned that Hyrum is small, but have you seen Wellsville pond?
I have never been there.  Does it have any boat traffic (power squadron)?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(12-20-2022, 02:39 AM)dubob Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 03:25 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: You mentioned that Hyrum is small, but have you seen Wellsville pond?
I have never been there.  Does it have any boat traffic (power squadron)?

There is no ramp, you might be able to get a float tube on it or a small boat you could carry to the water but it is really small, seems to me it is only 100 to 200 yds long maybe 50 yds wide or so plus or minus.
Curt is correct it’s pretty small. I used to fish it on opening day when I was a teenager, but haven’t been back in years. Maybe I should check it out. Better read the community pond rules first. It must have a lot of pressure if they plant 9-10k fish in it.
(12-20-2022, 04:37 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Curt is correct it’s pretty small. I used to fish it on opening day when I was a teenager, but haven’t been back in years. Maybe I should check it out. Better read the community pond rules first. It must have a lot of pressure if they plant 9-10k fish in it.
Well there you go - its a FISHING pond, not a power squadron pond.  Hyrum has evolved into a circus of power squadron users.  Seems that DNR is putting fish where fishermen & women can actually get to them.  Sorry Jeff, just pokin' ya a little.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Other than the amount of fish this thread reminds me alot of how Pineview has went for me over the last 10 years. The power squadron is so bad that I haven't had my boat on there in so long I can't remember my last outing there. And to make it worse access for winter fishing went away for us that haul machines in trailers to get out there. We'll see what happens this year