Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Really Slow
Hit Newton Saturday Morning along with 3 other friends and wow it's really gotten slow... Oh first off ice was 5-7" depending on locations we fished... Edges were soft as usual, so take a wide first step onto the ice... No slush, it's all frozen stiff... I ended up with one 10" perch by the time I quit at noon, and the other 3 fished most of the day and only got one small perch... It's really gotten tough to catch much out there... Good luck if you go try it... Later J

Oh btw the other three are all much better fishermen than me, so for them to not catch much says a lot more than me not catching fish... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-19-2022, 02:42 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hit Newton Saturday Morning along with 3 other friends and wow it's really gotten slow... Oh first off ice was 5-7" depending on locations we fished... Edges were soft as usual, so take a wide first step onto the ice... No slush, it's all frozen stiff... I ended up with one 10" perch by the time I quit at noon, and the other 3 fished most of the day and only got one small perch... It's really gotten tough to catch much out there... Good luck if you go try it... Later J

Oh btw the other three are all much better fishermen than me, so for them to not catch much says a lot more than me not catching fish... Later J

Thanks for the report Jeff, too bad the catching was so poor.
Thanks Curt, yeah I arrived with high hopes and kept thinking I was just in the wrong spot, but the guys that were in our favorite spot only caught two fish, so I'm afraid there just aren't many fish left that have much size... We moved multiple times after not graphing anything where I was at and Matt and Co. were only seeing tiny perch where they went to.. so we tried lots of spots, but only found a couple... Later J
It was a great day to be out for sure Jeff. Hopefuly next time the fish are a bit more willing to take a bite at something. We all marked fish at multiple locations using many different set ups and I'm sure at one time I had 20 perch chasing my jig around. So they were there just not willing to commit.
(12-19-2022, 07:23 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: It was a great day to be out for sure Jeff. Hopefuly next time the fish are a bit more willing to take a bite at something. We all marked fish at multiple locations using many different set ups and I'm sure at one time I had 20 perch chasing my jig around. So they were there just not willing to commit.

It was nice to get on the ice and feel like the new season is finally starting.  Forgot to mention you guys were using cameras and livescope so you could tell what was going on, verses my 2D finder chasing pacman around... and guessing what I was seeing... i had my camera, but was too lazy to set it up... mostly because I wasn't seeing anything on the graph.... Sure did appreciate the pull out of the hole, my flip is a lot heavier going uphill than down...  Well time to get the snowmobile ready and all the gear that goes with me when i take the sled... Hey what did Damon think of his SnowDog, it looked like it was doing a great job for him... I thought they were bigger than his was, but looked like it was plenty powerful to scoot him across the ice... Well fun to see you guys it's been a while since we shared a spot on the ice.. Hopefully we'll do it again soon... Later Jeff
(12-19-2022, 07:23 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: It was a great day to be out for sure Jeff. Hopefuly next time the fish are a bit more willing to take a bite at something. We all marked fish at multiple locations using many different set ups and I'm sure at one time I had 20 perch chasing my jig around. So they were there just not willing to commit.

Sounds like what we were seeing at Mantua on Fri, lots of looker but few biters. Hope this isn't a sign of how the season is going to be this Winter.
(12-19-2022, 08:25 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Sounds like what we were seeing at Mantua on Fri, lots of looker but few biters. Hope this isn't a sign of how the season is going to be this Winter.

I agree, isn't the early bite supposed to be really good and then it goes downhill?  If this is the good bite, we're in trouble for the January blah's.... Later J