Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State park ice report
Got a couple of hours to fish before sunset.  I saw people walking all over the ice.  I was on the ice by the dock.  The perch was bitting pretty good.
[Image: D8-EF9-BE5-B539-4-D8-F-960-D-92-B7659-A8879.jpg]

[Image: F3-CB550-A-ECF8-409-B-A272-678-E639-EDC9-C.jpg]
Wow, you have that place figured out, was there anyone else there doing that good? How deep is the water there?
(12-23-2022, 01:33 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, you have that place figured out, was there anyone else there doing that good? How deep is the water there?

There was a Hispanic group on the same dock fishing, they caught 7 fish when I left.  I was fishing in 7 ft of water.
Phong, you have more "luck" there than anyone I know of. Do you mind sharing just which dock you were fishing from or any other details? PM me if you don't want to share that info here.
Did you get a good measurement on the ice thickness? Last I heard it was 2'' but I see a number of people walking and skating on it. Too thin for me unless it has grown an inch or two.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-24-2022, 12:18 AM)catchinon Wrote: Phong, you have more "luck" there than anyone I know of. Do you mind sharing just which dock you were fishing from or any other details? PM me if you don't want to share that info here.
Did you get a good measurement on the ice thickness? Last I heard it was 2'' but I see a number of people walking and skating on it. Too thin for me unless it has grown an inch or two.
I Mostly fish on the 1st and 2nd dock on the north dike.  Using small jig is a must (green/black trout magnet, ratso , small maribou jigs).  Rod must be sensitive to detect light bite.  Hook set needs to be fast for perch.  I’ll be out there fishing tomorrow morning if you want to meet me there.  Here is what I caught this afternoon.
[Image: A23-CEAB2-83-BD-4-B49-A3-CF-00-B93048-CD17.jpg]

[Image: 72-E2-D237-9-B88-4-DF9-9156-22908-CFB6-B0-A.jpg]
hook_sets does have good luck! I will say, though, that A. All the advice he just gave is correct, and the right set-up matters, the sonar helps, etc... I'm always shocked to think people don't know this stuff (like using spring-bobbers or whatever, because that was some of the very first things I learned about ice-fishing.

B. Sometimes you found the right hole that day. I was at Mantua one day and a guy was just killing it on nice bluegills about 20 yards away. I drilled around without crowding him too much in a half circle, picking up a fish or two, and he volunteered what jig he had on, and kept insisting I needed a better strike detector. He insisted that was the only thing he was doing differently. Well, I knew I had on a decent spring-bobber set up on. When he had a limit, he said, "Well, you can try this hole if you think it'll help." So while he was packing up, I did, and caught 15 in the time it took him to load his sled up. We fished for hours a few years ago at Hyrum, caught a few, moved three times, then pulled 86 nice perch through three holes in an hour.

But, the question for better fishermen than I am is, will today's good spot be as good tomorrow? Why or why not?
Thanks, Phong, that's good info to know. Gotta get a more sensitive rod and spring bobbers. I've been down and out with the worst cold I've ever had so I couldn't have gone fishing with you anyway. (Yes, I was triple tested and it's not anything else.) I hope to get back in the action later this week so give me a call if you want some company.

Is the ice getting any thicker?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-24-2022, 01:58 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: hook_sets does have good luck!  I will say, though, that  A. All the advice he just gave is correct, and the right set-up matters, the sonar helps, etc... I'm always shocked to think people don't know this stuff (like using spring-bobbers or whatever, because that was some of the very first things I learned about ice-fishing. 

B.  Sometimes you found the right hole that day.  I was at Mantua one day and a guy was just killing it on nice bluegills about 20 yards away.  I drilled around without crowding him too much in a half circle, picking up a fish or two, and he volunteered what jig he had on, and kept insisting I needed a better strike detector.  He insisted that was the only thing he was doing differently.  Well, I knew I had on a decent spring-bobber set up on.  When he had a limit, he said, "Well, you can try this hole if you think it'll help."  So while he was packing up, I did, and caught 15 in the time it took him to load his sled up.  We fished for hours a few years ago at Hyrum, caught a few, moved three times, then pulled 86 nice perch through three holes in an hour.

But, the question for better fishermen than I am is, will today's good spot be as good tomorrow?  Why or why not?

Why or why not?  Sincerely doubt if I am a 'better fisherman' than you, but I may have a few insights..all IMO of course..on ice, I have what  I'd consider a 'good spot' at East Canyon for rainbows, at Mantua for nice 'gills, and Rockport for perch..this has gone on for many seasons, and will always at least be a good starting point...bottom structure, depth, availability of food, etc. is why those fish are often there...Yes, they will move away, that's what they do..but they also come back...they're not always in a biting mood, but with a fish finder, you know when they are there at least...It can take awhile, not usually just 1 or 2 or 3 times out, but maybe a whole season or more to find your 'good spot'... Maybe your new 'good spot' will last a week or two or three; I think your fish finder will tell you that..But then you can always move..another whole different part of the lake, or to a whole different lake/res...That's Fishin'...Guluk....and Oh,by the way...share your 'good spot' with a friend or relative that you're taking, but not with all of us here online..please!..
The ice in the boat harbor looks bad after yesterday rain.
[Image: 7950-E310-386-A-48-AD-8053-D1-B3300364-AB.jpg]

[Image: D9-D3-A69-F-5278-4016-9-BAE-8-C68-AD5-EC323.jpg]