Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC 12/18 - Thin ice and fish
I needed to get out of the house after a long week of work. I decided to check out Lost Creek and see how the ice was forming. I was perfectly prepared to see open water and not fish at all. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was capped as far as I could see from the dam. 

I drove over to the restroom just past the dam and took the dog, auger, spud bar, and a rod down to the ice. It took 3 strikes to punch through but I couldn’t get a good measurement so I drilled a hole. I’d wager it was 1.5” at most. Dropped a line in but didn’t venture any further out. I was hugging the shoreline. And no fish. 

Drove further on to the boat ramp and found 4-5” of ice and evidence that others had fished it earlier that day. I didn’t make it to the ramp until about 3:00pm. I fished until 4 and landed one scrawny bow on a small green tube jig. I didn’t have anything to tip with since I didn’t think it would be ready to fish. 

I kept hoping whoever got on before me would have posted a report… mostly so I wouldn’t need to display how crazy I was for being on LC so early  Undecided

[Image: 11-F6-F00-A-C639-4-E7-A-B7-FC-F2-C91981-F46-B.jpg]

[Image: 3-A6-C357-C-02-CC-4-C71-8939-8372-A8-DBE46-F.jpg]

[Image: 79-F3-CA1-B-8-FAD-4106-BDAF-BDFD86-C2-D3-DA.jpg]
Nice report, thanks for getting out there and checking the conditions. 4 to 5" there in the back sounds plenty thick enough, not sure I would get on 1,5" though.
Yeah I imagine with temps where they are the ice will be getting better. I’d still use the spud bar if heading out any time soon. It looked like there were fissures in the ice headed up the narrows from the ramp to the main lake.
Me and my boys went on Wednesday morning. 4/5 inches of clear ice by boat ramp. We fished across by rocky point saw 2 other guys with ice tents. Fishing was super slow and fish did not seem interested in any baits...we threw everything at em too...moved several times to different depths. we caught 2 rainbows at about 14 inches in 4 hrs of fishing. Roads were okay but 4 wheel recommended because of storm.
(12-23-2022, 06:22 AM)ctnelson2327 Wrote: Me and my boys went on Wednesday morning. 4/5 inches of clear ice by boat ramp. We fished across by rocky point saw 2 other guys with ice tents. Fishing was super slow and fish did not seem interested in any baits...we threw everything at em too...moved several times to different depths. we caught 2 rainbows at about 14 inches in 4 hrs of fishing. Roads were okay but 4 wheel recommended because of storm.

Thanks for the report and welcome to the site. Kind of crazy how slow the fishing is at most lakes this season, usually starts off much faster then slows down but at least you got out with your boys, bet it was still fun for them. Were you able to park at the bottom or did you walk down from the parking area?