Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek?
Checking to see if anyone has any recent recon for DC.  

I'm looking to get in one last float tube trip for the year and would like to know if anyone has been to the main State Park to see if there is still shoreline access to open water.

Any information will be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all you fellow fish junkies. Smile  
(12-24-2022, 05:40 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Checking to see if anyone has any recent recon for DC.  

I'm looking to get in one last float tube trip for the year and would like to know if anyone has been to the main State Park to see if there is still shoreline access to open water.

I stopped by today and the answer to your question is yes. Ramp is dry and usable and there were a few tubes out. I'm considering launching my boat this week if I can find dry spell. There is a good little patch of open water from the ramp to Wallsburg and also to the west but its iced in uplake and back to the dam. Island ramp is also iced in but there is open water north and west of the island. Ice is crap and I'm not getting on it but there were a few brave ones fishing the ice on the shady side of Rainbow bay but they were staying pretty close to shore.
(12-27-2022, 01:10 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 05:40 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Checking to see if anyone has any recent recon for DC.  

I stopped by today and the answer to your question is yes. Ramp is dry and usable and there were a few tubes out. I'm considering launching my boat this week if I can find dry spell. There is a good little patch of open water from the ramp to Wallsburg and also to the west but its iced in uplake and back to the dam. Island ramp is also iced in but there is open water north and west of the island. Ice is crap and I'm not getting on it but there were a few brave ones fishing the ice on the shady side of Rainbow bay but they were staying pretty close to shore.
Thanks so much for your report.  

I happened to be the guy in the tube that you saw.  There was a guy on a pontoon there too along with one boat.  The fishing was good for rainbows from 14" to 19" but that was all I caught.  There were a lot of shore fisherman but I didn't see a lot of action from them.  

It was a great day with very little wind.  I figured I'd better jump on today since it sounds like it's going to be stormy for the rest of the week.

[Image: P1080408-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080409-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080410-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080412-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080413-2.jpg]

[Image: P1080416-2.jpg]

[Image: Deer-Creek-12-26-2022.jpg]
(12-27-2022, 03:47 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 01:10 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:

Thanks so much for your report.  

I happened to be the guy in the tube that you saw.  There was a guy on a pontoon there too along with one boat.  The fishing was good for rainbows from 14" to 19" but that was all I caught.  There were a lot of shore fisherman but I didn't see a lot of action from them.  

It was a great day with very little wind.  I figured I'd better jump on today since it sounds like it's going to be stormy for the rest of the week.

Looks like you caught some nice bows and covered some area. Thanks for the report and pics. Did any one pattern work better than another?
Yeah.

I always start out with whatever fly I had on the last time I fished.  In this case I only changed once and that was because I had a fish break me off.  I put the same pattern back on.  It's a pattern that a friend of mine showed me that has a pink body.  He calls it the Pepto Bismol Fly.
(12-27-2022, 10:17 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Yeah.

I always start out with whatever fly I had on the last time I fished.  In this case I only changed once and that was because I had a fish break me off.  I put the same pattern back on.  It's a pattern that a friend of mine showed me that has a pink body.  He calls it the Pepto Bismol Fly.

LOL, that's an interesting name but pink is a good color for trout, no matter what the name is.