Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Report
Headed to Scofield on Christmas Eve. Roads to get there were very dry and the ice was 10-12 inches thick. Got to the lake about 20-30 minutes after sunrise and started marking fish quik in 16-20 feet of water. We would just wait for a mark to show up, drop down to it, and someone would have the prefered jig and get bit. Smaller was better and most fish were caught on a 4mm tungsten jig with small plastics on them tipped with a meal worm. And color didnt seem to matter. I was rocking a copper colored tungsten with a pink plastic. And my dad was throwing all chartruse. Fish were being caught very consistantly for about 20 minutes and then the bite died. A little bit of searching and hole drilling brought us to shaloower water (about 11 feet) and we would sight fish the occasional fish that swam by with a bigger plastic. Overrall great day on the ice with 20+ fish being caught between the whole group. I have a video link below if anyone is interested. It covers more spesifics on what we were using.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/QKhFfKW9PCo

So in conclusion, If you are planning on heading to scofield, earlier is better. The earlier you get there, fish pickyness is low. When the bite dies around 8:30/9:00 Fish will easily be pulled off the bottom, but will very rarely bit. So set up shallow and have a blast sight fishing some solid cutthroat. Most importantly, go have fun!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Did you see a big musky swim by while sight fishing? It would surely get the adrenaline pumping
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-26-2022, 11:22 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Did you see a big musky swim by while sight fishing? It would surely get the adrenaline pumping

No, Although that would have been so cool!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(12-26-2022, 10:03 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Headed to Scofield on Christmas Eve. Roads to get there were very dry and the ice was 10-12 inches thick. Got to the lake about 20-30 minutes after sunrise and started marking fish quik in 16-20 feet of water. We would just wait for a mark to show up, drop down to it, and someone would have the prefered jig and get bit. Smaller was better and most fish were caught on a 4mm tungsten jig with small plastics on them tipped with a meal worm. And color didnt seem to matter. I was rocking a copper colored tungsten with a pink plastic. And my dad was throwing all chartruse. Fish were being caught very consistantly for about 20 minutes and then the bite died. A little bit of searching and hole drilling brought us to shaloower water (about 11 feet) and we would sight fish the occasional fish that swam by with a bigger plastic. Overrall great day on the ice with 20+ fish being caught between the whole group. I have a video link below if anyone is interested. It covers more spesifics on what we were using.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/QKhFfKW9PCo

So in conclusion, If you are planning on heading to scofield, earlier is better. The earlier you get there, fish pickyness is low. When the bite dies around 8:30/9:00 Fish will easily be pulled off the bottom, but will very rarely bit. So set up shallow and have a blast sight fishing some solid cutthroat. Most importantly, go have fun!

Thanks for the update.
How early are you guys getting there?

I've been wanting to take my boy down and try it, but we live 90-120 minutes away

We may go Monday bc I hear there is a big storm tomorrow.

Anyone go in the late afternoon and past dark?
The bite, for me, has died off around 10:30. It has been hard to get anything to bite after that. I will mark them, but they are not biting. This has been experienced three times. The latest I've stayed is 3:30. Good luck.
(12-30-2022, 05:29 PM)GoBucks Wrote: The bite, for me, has died off around 10:30.  It has been hard to get anything to bite after that.  I will mark them, but they are not biting.  This has been experienced three times.  The latest I've stayed is 3:30.  Good luck.

Thats the exact same thing we exxperienced. Total lock jaw. Setting up shallow and sightfishing seemed to get them more aggresive.

(12-30-2022, 05:09 AM)War Beaver Wrote: How early are you guys getting there?

I've been wanting to take my boy down and try it, but we live 90-120 minutes away

We may go Monday bc I hear there is a big storm tomorrow.

Anyone go in the late afternoon and past dark?

I've only gone early in the morning. I'm guessing there is probably an evening bite of some sort.