Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headed out, who's going to test the ice for me.
Hey, it's Cookie. Just figured out how to get back on. Cowboy bought himself some new gear for Christmas and we want to head out tomorrow. It has taken a lot these last couple years for me to get comfortable on the ice without freaking out, so want to make sure we find good thick ice. This past year has been such a bust everywhere we could find water, and am really looking forward to getting out, but I really don't want to do a polar plunge, lol. Thinking Rockport, since it's close to home. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Rockport had 7+ Friday. Easy on and off from the ramp. Looked like a pressure ridge out in the middle, but plenty of water to try before you get to it.
(12-26-2022, 11:25 PM)CookiePirate Wrote: Hey, it's Cookie. Just figured out how to get back on. Cowboy bought himself some new gear for Christmas and we want to head out tomorrow. It has taken a lot these last couple years for me to get comfortable on the ice without freaking out, so want to make sure we find good thick ice. This past year has been such a bust everywhere we could find water, and am really looking forward to getting out, but I really don't want to do a polar plunge, lol. Thinking Rockport, since it's close to home. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hey Cookie, I've been hearing the magical depth for perch is 35 to 40 ft but you can read that from last week's post and learn some other info too. Good luck you guys.
I fished Rockport today by the dam. Edges were a little soft but no issues getting on or off. Ice was solid and clear, didn't measure anything under 6".  Most willing fish were on the bottom in 60' of water.  Had a giant Perch on but lost him at at hole.
I fished Strawberry by the marina today and there was about 8 inches of ice. People were running their snowmobiles on the ice.
Cookie says txs for the info. We are going to hit RP in the AM. Need to stay a bit closer to home as Buckwheat will be alone.

If you happen to be going that way tomorrow watch for the red f150 with the BFT sticker. We will be in a red eskimo 3 person shelter if we set it up. Stop by and shoot the bull. And herd a school of 12 inch perch our way.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew