Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Re-vist
Tried to post this after yesterday's trip, but couldn't not get on site.  Anyway.....fished my usual spot from 8:30-10:30 again.  Much slower than Friday's action.  Only 8 jumbos with as many 4-7 inchers.  Fish were down there, just not interested.  About 12 other folks AWOL from Christmas morning festivities, most halfway between me and the buoys on the south.  Not much movement, so they were either getting them or just content, like me, to get bit now & then.  Ditto with some groups off the ramp.  Nice 2" carpet of snow atop, but cleats needed to get down & up the path.
i couldn't get on site yesterday either....were they deeper than last time out ?
The site was down accross the board. I couldn't get on for 2 days.
(12-27-2022, 12:58 AM)perchinski Wrote: Tried to post this after yesterday's trip, but couldn't not get on site.  Anyway.....fished my usual spot from 8:30-10:30 again.  Much slower than Friday's action.  Only 8 jumbos with as many 4-7 inchers.  Fish were down there, just not interested.  About 12 other folks AWOL from Christmas morning festivities, most halfway between me and the buoys on the south.  Not much movement, so they were either getting them or just content, like me, to get bit now & then.  Ditto with some groups off the ramp.  Nice 2" carpet of snow atop, but cleats needed to get down & up the path.

Wow, you and Pikeman have that place figured out, seems lots of other are having a hard time there. You must have found one of the honey holes, even if there wasn't as many jumbos this time out. Are you walking out there or using a machine to get to your spot Mike?
(12-27-2022, 07:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 12:58 AM)perchinski Wrote: Tried to post this after yesterday's trip, but couldn't not get on site.  Anyway.....fished my usual spot from 8:30-10:30 again.  Much slower than Friday's action.  Only 8 jumbos with as many 4-7 inchers.  Fish were down there, just not interested.  About 12 other folks AWOL from Christmas morning festivities, most halfway between me and the buoys on the south.  Not much movement, so they were either getting them or just content, like me, to get bit now & then.  Ditto with some groups off the ramp.  Nice 2" carpet of snow atop, but cleats needed to get down & up the path.

Wow, you and Pikeman have that place figured out, seems lots of other are having a hard time there. You must have found one of the honey holes, even if there wasn't as many jumbos this time out. Are you walking out there or using a machine to get to your spot Mike?

Walking out.  From that last restroom pullout on the SW side, visually draw a line to the boat ramp.  Walk out til you drill over 35-40'.
(12-27-2022, 07:48 PM)perchinski Wrote:

Walking out.  From that last restroom pullout on the SW side, visually draw a line to the boat ramp.  Walk out til you drill over 35-40'.
Here we go again....if we're asking for directions to honey holes, or giving directions, can't this be done as a PM??
(12-27-2022, 08:01 PM)Jmorfish Wrote:

Here we go again....if we're asking for directions to honey holes, or giving directions, can't this be done as a PM??
I wasn't asking directions, I know the spot, I was just curious if he was walking or using a machine. From what I've read I'm not sure if I'd trust using a machine just yet.

Thanks Mike, were you seeing anyone out on machines? From the post Cowboypirate made the ice wasn't clear all the way, mainly cloudy ice, was it like that for you as well?
Thanks Mike, were you seeing anyone out on machines? From the post Cowboypirate made the ice wasn't clear all the way, mainly cloudy ice, was it like that for you as well?
(12-27-2022, 08:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Have yet to see any machines in my 3 RP outings.  Gonna be interesting to see how these latest rains & winds affect the ice.
I fished Rockport yesterday. I would guess there were 300 people on the ice. Quite a few snowdogs but I didn't see any snowmobiles or 4 wheelers. I fished the southeast quarter of the lake and drilled approximately 30 holes. The ice was 2" of slush on top of 3-4 inches of clear ice. There are reports of 6-7" of ice at Rockport but not where I was. Fishing was slow and bite was super light. Small perch and very few fish were caught near me. I only stayed 2 hours and went to check out some other reservoirs.