Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport with Cookie
It was a real bust. Windy, rainy, slushy. We left pretty quickly. Never saw a fish on the finder and never saw anyone catch anything. Many camps left before we did. 

Maybe it would have improved later but I don't enjoy ice fishing in the rain. I am sure those that stayed found some fish.

Technically the ice was fine at 5-6 inches but please watch it close if you go. I drilled about 15 holes and never found more than 3 inches of good clear blue ice. The rest was gray motled and honey combed. The warm up with rain is not helpful. It can really mess with good ice. Cookie did not like today. She likes 10" inches of granite for a ice cap.

On a good note - the upgrade from a manual auger to an electric - why did i wait so long...and my new helix 5 was fun. On a Sad note - I can't find my tripod for the aquaview camera and I really like to peek under the ice.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-27-2022, 05:32 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It was a real bust. Windy, rainy, slushy. We left pretty quickly. Never saw a fish on the finder and never saw anyone catch anything. Many camps left before we did. 

Maybe it would have improved later but I don't enjoy ice fishing in the rain. I am sure those that stayed found some fish.

Technically the ice was fine at 5-6 inches but please watch it close if you go. I drilled about 15 holes and never found more than 3 inches of good clear blue ice. The rest was gray motled and honey combed. The warm up with rain is not helpful. It can really mess with good ice. Cookie did not like today. She likes 10" inches of granite for a ice cap.

On a good note - the upgrade from a manual auger to an electric - why did i wait so long...and my new helix 5 was fun. On a Sad note - I can't find my tripod for the aquaview camera and I really like to peek under the ice.

When you were talking about going out today I thought you just had the wrong day because of the storm coming in. Sorry it ruined your first outing of the season. Funny the ice was so poor, makes me wonder if it's like that over the whole lake  Undecided The ice at Echo was clear ice with snow covering the top of the ice.
(12-27-2022, 06:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 05:32 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It was a real bust. Windy, rainy, slushy. We left pretty quickly. Never saw a fish on the finder and never saw anyone catch anything. Many camps left before we did. 

When you were talking about going out today I thought you just had the wrong day because of the storm coming in. Sorry it ruined your first outing of the season. Funny the ice was so poor, makes me wonder if it's like that over the whole lake  Undecided  The ice at Echo was clear ice with snow covering the top of the ice.

Could be the cove we were in. I picked one that had almost no sign of others having fished it. It normally holds perch and is good for a winter run. I remember after I drilled the first hole telling Cookie that the ice was thick but not in good shape until 3/4 way into it. Maybe just my dumb luck. I would have staid on it but it was miserable outside.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-27-2022, 07:07 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 06:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

At least you had a tent to get out of the worst of the weather, which of the camp ground coves were you fishing from?

I thought about trying to get on Echo this morning on my way to work, but the weather forecast kept me from it, as well as not much sleep last night. I have had one trip on the ice at Echo last week. 2 hours with only one slimy trout to show for it. Really wanted to catch my first walleye on Echo, but I eventually will. I think most are probably getting them at the dam, but that access there is either a really long walk  or a treacherous one down the hill from the pullouts. I'm not young anymore, nor a mountain goat. I hope your next outing is a great one.
Gabe