Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 12/26
Had a good day on the berry with 3 other gents. We got there around 6:45 with 4 wheelers but weren’t willing to be the first on the ice with them. We did some hike punching out of the marina and finally decided we were good after about 10 snowmobiles went out and we had a solid 6 inches of ice everywhere we drilled. Definitely be careful though, do some checking before you just blast out there. We fished a ways west out of the marina out past the crowds. Fished til about 3:30 and iced 70-80 fish between us. Mostly using tipped white tube jigs. The bite was light and the flashers were super helpful. Things slowed around 12.  Weather was great all day too. Very little slush, just a couple of spots.
(12-27-2022, 08:11 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Had a good day on the berry with 3 other gents. We got there around 6:45 with 4 wheelers but weren’t willing to be the first on the ice with them. We did some hike punching out of the marina and finally decided we were good after about 10 snowmobiles went out and we had a solid 6 inches of ice everywhere we drilled. Definitely be careful though, do some checking before you just blast out there. We fished a ways west out of the marina out past the crowds. Fished til about 3:30 and iced 70-80 fish between us. Mostly using tipped white tube jigs. The bite was light and the flashers were super helpful. Things slowed around 12.  Weather was great all day too. Very little slush, just a couple of spots.

Thanks for that information, it's good to have a general idea of how thick the ice is.
(12-27-2022, 08:11 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Had a good day on the berry with 3 other gents. We got there around 6:45 with 4 wheelers but weren’t willing to be the first on the ice with them. We did some hike punching out of the marina and finally decided we were good after about 10 snowmobiles went out and we had a solid 6 inches of ice everywhere we drilled. Definitely be careful though, do some checking before you just blast out there. We fished a ways west out of the marina out past the crowds. Fished til about 3:30 and iced 70-80 fish between us. Mostly using tipped white tube jigs. The bite was light and the flashers were super helpful. Things slowed around 12.  Weather was great all day too. Very little slush, just a couple of spots.

Thanks, we were wondering if the ice is thick enough to run our snowmobiles...
Sounds like a great day! What depth were you fishing? I'm taking my kids up tomorrow.
I was out there on the 26th. We took the snowmobile over land to our spot because I didn’t trust the ice. Fishing was ok so after seeing machines zipping around went across the bay and stopped at a point near an expansion joint. Walked out with a spud bar and at a random spot it went through. We measured it at 3” there. We set up in 20 feet of water, ice was 6 in. Fishing was better but still not what I was hoping for. There were a ton of people everywhere and quite a few sleds went past us on the 3 inch thick ice. This one sled had 2 big dudes on it! Spooky, I thought we were going to be fishing them out. We had a flasher and are decent ice-fishers but only managed 12-15 a piece. We caught one 19 inch cut with a partially digested 7 inch Kokanee in its throat, tail just inside its mouth. I usually fish a different area but wasn’t willing to go there with unknown ice. The ice looks inconsistent, meaning some has snow and some looks wet or thin? I’ll be glad after a few more cold nights.
(12-28-2022, 01:04 AM)deyoungfisher Wrote:
Sounds like a great day! What depth were you fishing? I'm taking my kids up tomorrow.

We fished 30-45 ft of water moving around a bit in one general area. Most of the fish were suspended in 15-20ft

(12-28-2022, 02:31 AM)Troutster Wrote: I was out there on the 26th. We took the snowmobile over land to our spot because I didn’t trust the ice. Fishing was ok so after seeing machines zipping around went across the bay and stopped at a point near an expansion joint. Walked out with a spud bar and at a random spot it went through.  We measured it at 3” there. We set up in 20 feet of water, ice was 6 in. Fishing was better but still not what I was hoping for. There were a ton of people everywhere and quite a few sleds went past us on the 3 inch thick ice. This one sled had 2 big dudes on it! Spooky, I thought we were going to be fishing them out. We had a flasher and are decent ice-fishers but only managed 12-15 a piece. We caught one 19 inch cut with a partially digested 7 inch Kokanee in its throat, tail just inside its mouth.  I usually fish a different area but wasn’t willing to go there with unknown ice. The ice looks inconsistent, meaning some has snow and some looks wet or thin? I’ll be glad after a few more cold nights.

We wanted to get out even further but it was just to unnerving, we measured 6 inch or so everywhere we checked but I’d love a couple more before I venture further
Fished The Berry on Wednesday. The parking lot at the ladders had not been plowed and the snow was very deep. After a near miss on getting stuck in the parking lot (4x4 truck/good tires) pulling a trailer, I went to Chicken creek. The parking lot was plowed and in good condition. I rode my 4 wheeler just past tent city and fished. There were some slushy spots and the snow on the lake was 6 to 8 inches deep. Under that was some soft gray ice, with the hard ice about 6 inches thick. Fishing was slow, the bite was light, and the wind was blowing. Didn't catch a thing, but it beat the heck out of taking down Christmas decorations or working. I just needed to get out... and that was great.
How is the road to the Soldier Creek side? Anyone been? Have wanted to check over there and see