Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lincoln beach rock issue
So Devon wanted to go take care of a problem that we should have taken care of a month ago. There were a few rocks around the dock at Lincoln beach that have found a prop or 2 while they are docking....Mike especially knows as he is the one that warned me. Well a month or so ago the water was only 8-12" in the harbor. Now it's about 16-24" as Devon got his waders and boots on and climbed in the water to pull out the rocks. He was successful on 2 of 3 big ones. The biggest one by the broken cleat in the middle of the dock he could not get as it was almost 30"x20" roughly is my guess. So again be cautious in the middle of the dock area. But we cleared 2 big ones unless someone throws them back dock they shouldn't. We tried to put them where people wouldn't get them again. 
[Image: 55-F42-FD7-880-E-4487-ADD1-FFB65-CE5040-D.jpg]

[Image: 64255890-8450-4-BC6-94-F5-D5-F338-C1-F43-B.jpg]

[Image: 7-F1-FF6-D7-E999-481-D-9752-19336-B2-DDA5-D.jpg]

[Image: B1-C63860-813-A-4-DB9-AA7-A-4-B3-B78214-B26.jpg]
This last image is the rock we couldn't get out. Between its size and his hands freezing. But you can see the other rock. The first one my wife already hauled off too the trees was bigger than the one laying on the dock. But it should help a few people if we get some more water.
Good for Devon, getting out in the icy cold water was a brave thing to do, this time of the year.
Way to go Justin and Devon, love seeing proactive efforts like this, thank you very much... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-31-2022, 01:23 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good for Devon, getting out in the icy cold water was a brave thing to do, this time of the year.

It was cold he said but he had a good pair of neoprene waders and some boots from cabelas that kept his feet warm. He just needed gloves but unfortunately we didn't think to bring them to warm his hands in between. We honestly did think about what he was getting into when we left the house. The marina has doubled or more in depth since we were there a month or so ago. We just didn't have waders then.

(12-31-2022, 01:28 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Justin and Devon, love seeing proactive efforts like this, thank you very much... Jeff

Thanks. We see it as a way of taking care of others. I hate to hear about someone hitting their prop on a rock especially in a stupid spot like by the dock.
(12-31-2022, 10:42 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(12-31-2022, 01:23 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good for Devon, getting out in the icy cold water was a brave thing to do, this time of the year.

It was cold he said but he had a good pair of neoprene waders and some boots from cabelas that kept his feet warm. He just needed gloves but unfortunately we didn't think to bring them to warm his hands in between. We honestly did think about what he was getting into when we left the house. The marina has doubled or more in depth since we were there a month or so ago. We just didn't have waders then.

(12-31-2022, 01:28 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Justin and Devon, love seeing proactive efforts like this, thank you very much... Jeff

Thanks. We see it as a way of taking care of others. I hate to hear about someone hitting their prop on a rock especially in a stupid spot like by the dock.
Thanks Justin and Devon. Wish I had my strength back then I would be able to help. We need to find some way of educating the wanabe Ice fisherman type that don't have an auger or a spud, from thinking a big rock is an OK method of punching through the ice.  rj
You can't manage the unmanageable.  And you can't teach the unteachable.  And you can't fix stupid.
Glad to see them gone, thanks, those are the only rocks I ever hit with the prop down there, dragging the skeg is a different story.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks for doing that, guys. I hit that big rock my last trip out last summer. I wanted to get in there and pull some of those out but never got around to it. Let's try for sometime in the spring. If we're lucky it will get too deep by then. In that case we'll have to get our snorkels and wait till the water gets warm. Stay in touch.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Unfortunately the big one is still there right in the middle. Devon just could not muster the strength to lift it while sinking in the mud.
Thanks for going out of your way and doing that....You guys are the best!
(01-03-2023, 06:03 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Unfortunately the big one is still there right in the middle. Devon just could not muster the strength to lift it while sinking in the mud.

How far out is it and is there access for a track hoe?
It is straight down off end of the dock walking down and in the center almost of the T of the dock. You would have to drive a track hoe over from the boat ramp in 20" of current depth of water. Don't think that is doable but it would be a lot better than lifting it. My son thought the rock felt like it felt like a 180 lbs from lifting weights everyday.
Justin and Devon, you guys are awesome. Such a great deed that many benefit from.  I know I don't live down there in the southern area, but I try to get out to LB 3 or 4 times during the summer while there is water deep enough. 

Good on ya both.... Cool    Big Grin
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(12-31-2022, 01:11 AM)BMooseman75 Wrote: So Devon wanted to go take care of a problem that we should have taken care of a month ago. There were a few rocks around the dock at Lincoln beach that have found a prop or 2 while they are docking....Mike especially knows as he is the one that warned me. Well a month or so ago the water was only 8-12" in the harbor. Now it's about 16-24" as Devon got his waders and boots on and climbed in the water to pull out the rocks. He was successful on 2 of 3 big ones. The biggest one by the broken cleat in the middle of the dock he could not get as it was almost 30"x20" roughly is my guess. So again be cautious in the middle of the dock area. But we cleared 2 big ones unless someone throws them back dock they shouldn't. We tried to put them where people wouldn't get them again. 
[Image: 55-F42-FD7-880-E-4487-ADD1-FFB65-CE5040-D.jpg]

[Image: 64255890-8450-4-BC6-94-F5-D5-F338-C1-F43-B.jpg]

[Image: 7-F1-FF6-D7-E999-481-D-9752-19336-B2-DDA5-D.jpg]

[Image: B1-C63860-813-A-4-DB9-AA7-A-4-B3-B78214-B26.jpg]
This last image is the rock we couldn't get out. Between its size and his hands freezing. But you can see the other rock. The first one my wife already hauled off too the trees was bigger than the one laying on the dock. But it should help a few people if we get some more water.

Thank you!