Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slush Monstrosity 1/2
Slush monster did not touch what the conditions were like at East Canyon today. Drive in was 4wd the last couple of miles with about 8" of snow on the road. State park had not yet plowed in the park although they showed up while I was unloading. Snowplow did clear the roads later in the morning. Edges were super soft and I went through in about 3 ft of water just trying to get on. One boot wet. I should have brought my waders or hip boots. Once on, it was a thin crust with about 4-5 inches of water/slush beneath, then about 6" of clear solid ice underneath that.

Walking was like leg day at the gym. Every step was a breakthrough slushy mess. Legs were burning after a bit of a hike out. Nothing in my first holes. No marks. Decided to get the full workout and hiked across to my favorite spot. Fish were there, but not many marked. But the ones that did were very nice. Big fish on soon after first drop. Lots of drag taken and when it started up the hole, pop...gone. Broke the line. Next fish was a solid 18". Then a good 19" that wrapped the other line, wrapped around the ice ducer and made quite the mess of everything taking drag several times. But landed it. Next fish came unbuttoned near the hole and last one after several runs just did a Houdini and disappeared. I don't know what happened there. Those big bows fight like freight trains and are a blast. But that was it. Slow but 2 good ones on the ice. I won't mention the hike back to the truck. I know I hiked too far and I paid for it. 

We really need some cold weather to firm everything up.

[Image: 20230102-102641.jpg]

[Image: 20230102-102705.jpg]

[Image: 20230102-110417.jpg]
Great report, sounds like quite a workout. Glad you had some success!
We were snow sleding with all the family not to far from you. I heard from others that it was like trudging through tar today
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Heck of a workout Paul, glad you were rewarded with some action
(01-02-2023, 10:39 PM)JArner Wrote: Great report, sounds like quite a workout. Glad you had some success!

Thanks Jim.

(01-02-2023, 10:50 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: We were snow sleding with all the family not to far from you. I heard from others that it was like trudging through tar today

That about sums it up, tar.

(01-02-2023, 10:58 PM)2knots Wrote: Heck of a workout Paul, glad you were rewarded with some action

Thanks Alan.
Wow, that sounds like a mess but I'm thankful for your post because we were thinking about going up there tomorrow but I won't bother now. Numbers are way down at EC but the ones being caught are good fish. Are they plowing the ramp by chance?
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of taking the Family there tomorrow but now ya got me questioning if this would be the smartest thing to do. At least ya caught a few nice ones
(01-03-2023, 12:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that sounds like a mess but I'm thankful for your post because we were thinking about going up there tomorrow but I won't bother now. Numbers are way down at EC but the ones being caught are good fish. Are they plowing the ramp by chance?

They are only plowing down to the boat prep area at the top of the ramp. They aren't touching the ramp. Tough pull back up the hill.
(01-03-2023, 12:35 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 12:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that sounds like a mess but I'm thankful for your post because we were thinking about going up there tomorrow but I won't bother now. Numbers are way down at EC but the ones being caught are good fish. Are they plowing the ramp by chance?

They are only plowing down to the boat prep area at thr top of the ramp. They aren't touching the ramp. Tough pull back up the hill.

That's what I figured, they rarely plow the ramp there. Do you think the water level came up a lot last week with that warm up, and that's why the edges was so soft that far out, where you went through?
Thanks for the help today. Family enjoyed a fun day of sledding, not trudging. I would have been ok with sore legs, but not sure I could handle a sore ear. No doubt they would have been squawking if we tried joining you.
(01-03-2023, 12:49 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 12:35 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:

They are only plowing down to the boat prep area at thr top of the ramp. They aren't touching the ramp. Tough pull back up the hill.

That's what I figured, they rarely plow the ramp there. Do you think the water level came up a lot last week with that warm up, and that's why the edges was so soft that far out, where you went through?

Yes I think it came up with all the rain and snow.  You can see a ring around the edge all around the lake.

(01-03-2023, 12:57 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Thanks for the help today. Family enjoyed a fun day of sledding, not trudging. I would have been ok with sore legs, but not sure I could handle a sore ear. No doubt they would have been squawking if we tried joining you.

Your wife and kids would have been miserable in the slush/water. Glad you could have a fun day.  My wife would have never let me live that down if she would have been there. 

Sore ear? Now that was funny!
I had a feeling that was going to happen, I bet the shore edges are like that at all lakes. We will need some cold temps to freeze it back up again or a plank to bridge those gaps. or hip waders like you said.
(01-02-2023, 10:34 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Slush monster did not touch what the conditions were like at East Canyon today. Drive in was 4wd the last couple of miles with about 8" of snow on the road. State park had not yet plowed in the park although they showed up while I was unloading. Snowplow did clear the roads later in the morning. Edges were super soft and I went through in about 3 ft of water just trying to get on. One boot wet. I should have brought my waders or hip boots. Once on, it was a thin crust with about 4-5 inches of water/slush beneath, then about 6" of clear solid ice underneath that.

Walking was like leg day at the gym. Every step was a breakthrough slushy mess. Legs were burning after a bit of a hike out. Nothing in my first holes. No marks. Decided to get the full workout and hiked across to my favorite spot. Fish were there, but not many marked. But the ones that did were very nice. Big fish on soon after first drop. Lots of drag taken and when it started up the hole, pop...gone. Broke the line. Next fish was a solid 18". Then a good 19" that wrapped the other line, wrapped around the ice ducer and made quite the mess of everything taking drag several times. But landed it. Next fish came unbuttoned near the hole and last one after several runs just did a Houdini and disappeared. I don't know what happened there. Those big bows fight like freight trains and are a blast. But that was it. Slow but 2 good ones on the ice. I won't mention the hike back to the truck. I know I hiked too far and I paid for it. 

We really need some cold weather to firm everything up.

[Image: 20230102-102641.jpg]

[Image: 20230102-102705.jpg]

[Image: 20230102-110417.jpg]

Thanks for the info on ice and fishing conditions.
Great report. Thanks for the update on conditions...
Great report Jig-Fisher! Hoping to get up there this weekend. Anyone have any more recent report on the ice conditions? With all this wet snow in the valley I wonder if it's been cold enough to harden up? I've already quit on my new year's resolution to exercise so I'm not looking for a slush monster workout!
I'm headed up again this Saturday for the Fins & Fur tournament. I'll give a report on conditions afterwards.
Drove by yesterday and I didn't notice anyone on the pond, which seemed a little odd, but was during the worst time of day to be fishing and on a weekday... Sorry didn't stop to check conditions, figured it would have been slushy and didn't have rubber boots, but it got cold last night and my ice holes on Cutler started to freeze up on me while I was fishing, so I expect conditions should be a little better this morning, but probably still break through the slush layer... With the low numbers I've seen fishing there, you may not find someone to give you a status.. But I hope you do... Good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-12-2023, 01:20 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Drove by yesterday and I didn't notice anyone on the pond, which seemed a little odd, but was during the worst time of day to be fishing and on a weekday... Sorry didn't stop to check conditions, figured it would have been slushy and didn't have rubber boots, but it got cold last night and my ice holes on Cutler started to freeze up on me while I was fishing, so I expect conditions should be a little better this morning, but probably still break through the slush layer...  With the low numbers I've seen fishing there, you may not find someone to give you a status.. But I hope you do... Good luck... J

Wow Jeff, EC is out of your normal stomping grounds, do have relatives up that way in Morgan ?
(01-12-2023, 05:00 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I'm headed up again this Saturday for the Fins & Fur tournament. I'll give a report on conditions afterwards.

Good luck in the tournament, hope you do as good as you did last year.
(01-12-2023, 02:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 01:20 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Drove by yesterday and I didn't notice anyone on the pond, which seemed a little odd, but was during the worst time of day to be fishing and on a weekday... Sorry didn't stop to check conditions, figured it would have been slushy and didn't have rubber boots, but it got cold last night and my ice holes on Cutler started to freeze up on me while I was fishing, so I expect conditions should be a little better this morning, but probably still break through the slush layer...  With the low numbers I've seen fishing there, you may not find someone to give you a status.. But I hope you do... Good luck... J

Wow Jeff, EC is out of your normal stomping grounds, do have relatives up that way in Morgan ?

Oh wow did I get on the wrong thread, I thought they were talking about Mantua.... My bad sorry if my info is really out of place, I was talking about Mantua... Ooops... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!