Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1/2
Got to the strawberry marina at about 9 this morning and went straight out to the edge of tent city. The slush monster had definitely arrived. ~12” snow on top of ~10” of slush on top of ~9” of ice. Snowshoes made it manageable but still tough. Marked some in the first spot but they were being picky. We packed up and headed off in another direction. Right away before even putting the finder in we were able to ice one. They were still picky but we were able to figure it out and have some okay success. At one point I realized I could see my lure if I looked straight down the hole. I watched quite a few fish either swim right by without looking or bump it with their nose and swim off. The ones I landed would come in aggressively and take it right away. It was interesting to see their behavior first hand and the way they take the lure fast or nibble at it apprehensively or completely ignore it.
Thanks for the report. My experience is that the area around the marina is only good for a short while. Last year at first ice we hand a great day in the marina area but fished it a few weeks later due to snow mobile problems and didn’t even catch 1. Were people on machines getting stuck on the ice with all of that slush? I’m going to try and get up there this coming Saturday. I hope the slush firms up. That can be miserable standing in that stuff.
Great report, I love that sight fishing and glad you beat the monster... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-03-2023, 01:27 PM)Troutster Wrote: Thanks for the report. My experience is that the area around the marina is only good for a short while.  Last year at first ice we hand a great day in the marina area but fished it a few weeks later due to snow mobile problems and didn’t even catch 1.  Were people on machines getting stuck on the ice with all of that slush? I’m going to try and get up there this coming Saturday. I hope the slush firms up. That can be miserable standing in that stuff.

I didn’t see or hear of any stuck machines, but I wonder if not many tried to venture out because of the conditions. I’m still fairly new to ice fishing and that was my first time at strawberry so any advice is well received. Once the marina area dies down are there still areas that are productive that you don’t need a machine to get to? I was thinking about trying out chicken creek or somewhere on that side of the reservoir this weekend.
(01-04-2023, 12:11 AM)chrisg602 Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 01:27 PM)Troutster Wrote: Thanks for the report. My experience is that the area around the marina is only good for a short while.  Last year at first ice we hand a great day in the marina area but fished it a few weeks later due to snow mobile problems and didn’t even catch 1.  Were people on machines getting stuck on the ice with all of that slush? I’m going to try and get up there this coming Saturday. I hope the slush firms up. That can be miserable standing in that stuff.

I didn’t see or hear of any stuck machines, but I wonder if not many tried to venture out because of the conditions. I’m still fairly new to ice fishing and that was my first time at strawberry so any advice is well received. Once the marina area dies down are there still areas that are productive that you don’t need a machine to get to? I was thinking about trying out chicken creek or somewhere on that side of the reservoir this weekend.

In my experience at Strawberry, it is not so much a question of a specific place, but proximity to the tent city's near the access points. The best thing you can do is get away from other people and be willing to move. The slush situation this year makes it harder to travel on foot and on machines, but your fish count will significantly increase if you do. You can get on the ice at the marina turn to the East and walk out as far as your willing to go into anywhere out into the middle of the lake. Without slush I can get out a mile in 20 minutes walking with this years conditions maybe less than a half half mile. I tend to walk in frozen snowmobile tracks, its easier than breaking a fresh trail. Once you are away from people punch a hole there will be fish around and the first couple are usually curious and easy to catch. If your not marking fish or the bite slows down move 50 yards and punch another hole and repeat the process often times I'll create a circuit of five or six holes and just keep rotating through them. I own a tent and a heater, but very rarely set it up, usually only if it very cold, below 15 degrees high for the day or windy. You will catch fish if you camp on a hole, but you will catch more fish if you keep moving