Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer creek help??
Just wondering if any deer creek experts would be willing to divulge some info. I have always struggled there but live fairly close so I would love to improve my success especially ice fishing there. I’m clueless on where to go, and lures and baits other than trolling pop gear and a worm and that hasn’t worked well through the ice… any info would be awesome! Thanks gents
I don’t ice fish but deer creek is one of my favorite spots to troll. What kind of finder setup on your boat and what kind of trolling motor setup?
So Fubar, what are you fishing for at DC?? Trout, SMB, Walleye, Perch ?? Boat or shore fishing ?? Need a few more specifics. One thing to remember, DC, Rockport, Echo, East Canyon are Canyon Reservoirs. They have a very steep drop like a "V". Strawberry, Scofield, are more like "bowls" much more gradual slope into the basin. So if you are trolling a "canyon" type reservoir, you need to be aware of how deep your lures are running, where the fish are in the water column, and so on. Learn where each species spends it's time during what part of the year. Do they relate to structure, bottom contour, or roam the open water !! Lots of reading and on water experience will help you learn !!
(01-09-2023, 04:48 PM)Therapist Wrote: So Fubar, what are you fishing for at DC??  Trout, SMB, Walleye, Perch ??  Boat or shore fishing ??  Need a few more specifics.  One thing to remember,  DC, Rockport, Echo, East Canyon are Canyon Reservoirs.  They have a very steep drop like a "V".  Strawberry, Scofield,  are more like "bowls" much more gradual slope into the basin.  So if you are trolling a "canyon" type reservoir, you need to be aware of how deep your lures are running, where the fish are in the water column, and so on.  Learn where each species spends it's time during what part of the year.  Do they relate to structure, bottom contour, or roam the open water !!  Lots of reading and on water experience will help you learn !!

Sorry not related to original post, but do you have any favorites for the reading you suggested?  Books, articles etc.
(01-09-2023, 03:29 AM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Just wondering if any deer creek experts would be willing to divulge some info. I have always struggled there but live fairly close so I would love to improve my success especially ice fishing there. I’m clueless on where to go, and lures and baits other than trolling pop gear and a worm and that hasn’t worked well through the ice… any info would be awesome! Thanks gents

I've fished dear Deer Creek since the early 1960's.  Yeah, I'm that old.  Been a lot of changes in the ecology, fish species and management of the lake over the years.  But it is still one of my fave ponds...during the very few times during the year when it is not overrun by the power squadron.

Here is a writeup I put together a few years ago that should provide some good basic info.  Of course there are continuous changes in fish populations, sizes and best tactics and techniques.  But this should give you at least a start.

Attached Files
.pdf   FISHING DEER CREEK.pdf (Size: 5.5 MB / Downloads: 34)
I fish DC year round but lately the ice season has been iffy to non existent. When it does ice over sometimes we only get a week or 2 of safe ice. I know people have differing versions of what "safe ice" is but I lean to the safer side so it's been a few years since I ice fished DC. I have seen plenty of polar plunges at DC getting on or off the ice. I know it happens elsewhere but I hate to bring a plank ice fishing so I usually stay away from the soft edges when possible. When I have ice fished DC I have done very well for rainbows and perch but never targeted walleye or bass. I know there are some who target walleye (with success) but I have not tried. Rainbows can be found lake wide and are usually suspended from 10 to 25 feet under the ice. My best success on rainbows is a jig tipped with a piece of night crawler. Perch are bottom dwellers and I usually find them in the northern half of the lake in 12-50 feet of water. Recently the numbers seem to be way down and it has been difficult for me to locate schools of perch the last 2 years. I attribute this to to the large smallmouth population who seem to be eating up all the perch minnows. I drove up to the lake yesterday to check it out and found it mostly capped now with a number of ice fishermen from Rainbow bay north. I did not check ice thickness. I was hoping for a little open water still since I had a great boat trip there on December 29 but that small area near the main ramp is now capped and the ramp is not even plowed so be prepared for a nice hike through 18" of snow to get down to the lake. (Suggestion to the State Park people: it would be nice if you plowed the ramp so people could access the lake easier rather than hike through that much snow to get to the ice) The island ramp was plowed however.  As has been mentioned, DC has very steep banks and my son took a polar plunge up to his neck just 6 feet from shore a few years ago so stay safe!
(01-09-2023, 03:42 AM)Redrebel Wrote: I don’t ice fish but deer creek is one of my favorite spots to troll. What kind of finder setup on your boat and what kind of trolling motor setup?

In the past just been on buddies boats and I don’t recall the specifics. Recently got a pontoon that will have a small kicker around 10 hp and an electric troller.

(01-09-2023, 09:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 03:29 AM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Just wondering if any deer creek experts would be willing to divulge some info. I have always struggled there but live fairly close so I would love to improve my success especially ice fishing there. I’m clueless on where to go, and lures and baits other than trolling pop gear and a worm and that hasn’t worked well through the ice… any info would be awesome! Thanks gents

I've fished dear Deer Creek since the early 1960's.  Yeah, I'm that old.  Been a lot of changes in the ecology, fish species and management of the lake over the years.  But it is still one of my fave ponds...during the very few times during the year when it is not overrun by the power squadron.

Here is a writeup I put together a few years ago that should provide some good basic info.  Of course there are continuous changes in fish populations, sizes and best tactics and techniques.  But this should give you at least a start.

Bless you! That is great info!

(01-09-2023, 09:31 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I fish DC year round but lately the ice season has been iffy to non existent. When it does ice over sometimes we only get a week or 2 of safe ice. I know people have differing versions of what "safe ice" is but I lean to the safer side so it's been a few years since I ice fished DC. I have seen plenty of polar plunges at DC getting on or off the ice. I know it happens elsewhere but I hate to bring a plank ice fishing so I usually stay away from the soft edges when possible. When I have ice fished DC I have done very well for rainbows and perch but never targeted walleye or bass. I know there are some who target walleye (with success) but I have not tried. Rainbows can be found lake wide and are usually suspended from 10 to 25 feet under the ice. My best success on rainbows is a jig tipped with a piece of night crawler. Perch are bottom dwellers and I usually find them in the northern half of the lake in 12-50 feet of water. Recently the numbers seem to be way down and it has been difficult for me to locate schools of perch the last 2 years. I attribute this to to the large smallmouth population who seem to be eating up all the perch minnows. I drove up to the lake yesterday to check it out and found it mostly capped now with a number of ice fishermen from Rainbow bay north. I did not check ice thickness. I was hoping for a little open water still since I had a great boat trip there on December 29 but that small area near the main ramp is now capped and the ramp is not even plowed so be prepared for a nice hike through 18" of snow to get down to the lake. (Suggestion to the State Park people: it would be nice if you plowed the ramp so people could access the lake easier rather than hike through that much snow to get to the ice) The island ramp was plowed however.  As has been mentioned, DC has very steep banks and my son took a polar plunge up to his neck just 6 feet from shore a few years ago so stay safe!

Great info! Thank you so much! Kinda been wondering about how much of an ice season it really has. Seems hit and miss over the years, I only recall ice fishing there poorly 1-2 times over the last decade.

(01-09-2023, 09:31 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I fish DC year round but lately the ice season has been iffy to non existent. When it does ice over sometimes we only get a week or 2 of safe ice. I know people have differing versions of what "safe ice" is but I lean to the safer side so it's been a few years since I ice fished DC. I have seen plenty of polar plunges at DC getting on or off the ice. I know it happens elsewhere but I hate to bring a plank ice fishing so I usually stay away from the soft edges when possible. When I have ice fished DC I have done very well for rainbows and perch but never targeted walleye or bass. I know there are some who target walleye (with success) but I have not tried. Rainbows can be found lake wide and are usually suspended from 10 to 25 feet under the ice. My best success on rainbows is a jig tipped with a piece of night crawler. Perch are bottom dwellers and I usually find them in the northern half of the lake in 12-50 feet of water. Recently the numbers seem to be way down and it has been difficult for me to locate schools of perch the last 2 years. I attribute this to to the large smallmouth population who seem to be eating up all the perch minnows. I drove up to the lake yesterday to check it out and found it mostly capped now with a number of ice fishermen from Rainbow bay north. I did not check ice thickness. I was hoping for a little open water still since I had a great boat trip there on December 29 but that small area near the main ramp is now capped and the ramp is not even plowed so be prepared for a nice hike through 18" of snow to get down to the lake. (Suggestion to the State Park people: it would be nice if you plowed the ramp so people could access the lake easier rather than hike through that much snow to get to the ice) The island ramp was plowed however.  As has been mentioned, DC has very steep banks and my son took a polar plunge up to his neck just 6 feet from shore a few years ago so stay safe!

Great info! Thank you so much! Kinda been wondering about how much of an ice season it really has. Seems hit and miss over the years, I only recall ice fishing there poorly 1-2 times over the last decade.
(01-09-2023, 05:55 PM)mjlevie Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 04:48 PM)Therapist Wrote: So Fubar, what are you fishing for at DC??  Trout, SMB, Walleye, Perch ??  Boat or shore fishing ??  Need a few more specifics.  One thing to remember,  DC, Rockport, Echo, East Canyon are Canyon Reservoirs.  They have a very steep drop like a "V".  Strawberry, Scofield,  are more like "bowls" much more gradual slope into the basin.  So if you are trolling a "canyon" type reservoir, you need to be aware of how deep your lures are running, where the fish are in the water column, and so on.  Learn where each species spends it's time during what part of the year.  Do they relate to structure, bottom contour, or roam the open water !!  Lots of reading and on water experience will help you learn !!

Sorry not related to original post, but do you have any favorites for the reading you suggested?  Books, articles etc.
Trout and bass would be my main targets. Through the ice trout would be the primary species we would aim at.