Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice at Deer Creek???
Can anyone tell me the ice conditions at Deer Creek?
I didn't fish there but I drove by there on Saturday on our way to Jordanelle and there were a lot of folks fishing on the ice at rainbow bay and out toward the middle of the reservoir.  There was still some open water west of the island.  The state parks had not plowed the main boat ramp area and that area recently capped so I'm not sure how thick the ice might be there. 
(01-11-2023, 05:03 AM)gofish435 Wrote: I didn't fish there but I drove by there on Saturday on our way to Jordanelle and there were a lot of folks fishing on the ice at rainbow bay and out toward the middle of the reservoir.  There was still some open water west of the island.  The state parks had not plowed the main boat ramp area and that area recently capped so I'm not sure how thick the ice might be there. 

Thanks for the update!
Thanks. Very helpful!
Got out for a couple hours this afternoon. Edges were soft, but was able to get on relatively easy. Ice was about 6", but 3-4 of which was cloudy. This was just south west of the island. Couldn't keep the bows off.
(01-13-2023, 02:41 AM)danell Wrote: Got out for a couple hours this afternoon. Edges were soft, but was able to get on relatively easy. Ice was about 6", but 3-4 of which was cloudy. This was just south west of the island. Couldn't keep the bows off.

Thanks for the report Danell, was there any size to the bows or were they planters?
(01-13-2023, 03:44 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-13-2023, 02:41 AM)danell Wrote: Got out for a couple hours this afternoon. Edges were soft, but was able to get on relatively easy. Ice was about 6", but 3-4 of which was cloudy. This was just south west of the island. Couldn't keep the bows off.

Thanks for the report Danell, was there any size to the bows or were they planters?
Several planters, but more quality bows in the 18-21" range

Anyone have any luck catching crappie through the ice?
(01-13-2023, 04:36 AM)danell Wrote:
(01-13-2023, 03:44 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Several planters, but more quality bows in the 18-21" range

That's a great size, bet those bigger bow gave you a good fight.
Sounds like it is time for me to get my auger out. Thanks for the information!

How was the slush?
Got out yesterday with the boys. It was a little busier than expected, but with school out should have expected it. Still has soft edges, about 2-3'. Went in up to just below the top of my Muck boots.

Fished in 20' of water. Ice was good at 7" or so, no slush and 4" of fresh snow. The bite was best early, but we still caught fish until we left around 1:00. All rainbows today. Most in the 12-14" range, a few larger including one plump 19"er.
(01-17-2023, 04:49 PM)PMacattack Wrote: Got out yesterday with the boys. It was a little busier than expected, but with school out should have expected it. Still has soft edges, about 2-3'. Went in up to just below the top of my Muck boots.

Fished in 20' of water. Ice was good at 7" or so, no slush and 4" of fresh snow. The bite was best early, but we still caught fish until we left around 1:00. All rainbows today. Most in the 12-14" range, a few larger including one plump 19"er.

Thanks for the report, sounds like you did good, sounds like the water level is coming up there. What color jigs worked best for you?
(01-17-2023, 05:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 04:49 PM)PMacattack Wrote: Got out yesterday with the boys. It was a little busier than expected, but with school out should have expected it. Still has soft edges, about 2-3'. Went in up to just below the top of my Muck boots.

Thanks for the report, sounds like you did good, sounds like the water level is coming up there. What color jigs worked best for you?

White, white pearl, glow and chartreuse tipped with wax worms. Didn't seem too picky, but at times the bite was lite. Only one I recall catching higher in the water column, the rest came off the bottom.
[Image: DC-Fish.jpg]