Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport today
First trip this season.  Just wanted to check out the conditions.  Went to the State Park ramp side.  there were quite a few parties on the ice, which was encouraging.

The road and ramp are cleared of snow, so easy access and can park on the ramp if space is available.  Happy to see edges were pretty solid, at least didn't need the plank I had with me.  Fished in 45 feet of water, and the ice was 10 inches of solid ice.  No slush and only snow that was easy to walk on.

Bad news, didn't get a bite and didn't see anything suspended with my finder.  Maybe one of the other parties will post their luck.  Fished about 3 hours.  

Just wanted to let people know one place with safe ice, at least for the short term.  Good luck!
Thanks for passing that on, lot of people looking for safe ice, thanks.... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-14-2023, 12:00 AM)Crimson Wrote: First trip this season.  Just wanted to check out the conditions.  Went to the State Park ramp side.  there were quite a few parties on the ice, which was encouraging.

The road and ramp are cleared of snow, so easy access and can park on the ramp if space is available.  Happy to see edges were pretty solid, at least didn't need the plank I had with me.  Fished in 45 feet of water, and the ice was 10 inches of solid ice.  No slush and only snow that was easy to walk on.

Bad news, didn't get a bite and didn't see anything suspended with my finder.  Maybe one of the other parties will post their luck.  Fished about 3 hours.  

Just wanted to let people know one place with safe ice, at least for the short term.  Good luck!

Nice to hear that the edges are solid and NO slush!!  Thanks for the report...
This morning it was 12 degrees, no wind, walked out to 58’ of water. Not much action there. Moved in to 50’ iced 30+ perch. Biggest was 11.5”. Got 5 of those 10-11” ones. Super fat! They were hitting almost everything we dropped down. Tungsten tear drops, rattle traps, PK predators, coffin spoons, Kastmasters. Bite turned off about 1PM. No trout today. Ice was good. All the old slushy snowmobile tracks were really slippery. There was 1-2” of snow on top of the ice. When I left the edges were a tiny bit soft for maybe 1’. Fish would show up once your jig hit the bottom. Several times the finder was stacked with fish from 50’-45’. I also didn’t see any suspended fish. Kind of disappointed there weren’t any trout.
(01-14-2023, 02:07 AM)herefishyfishyfishy Wrote: This morning it was 12 degrees, no wind, walked out to 58’ of water. Not much action there. Moved in to 50’ iced 30+ perch. Biggest was 11.5”. Got 5 of those 10-11” ones. Super fat! They were hitting almost everything we dropped down. Tungsten tear drops, rattle traps, PK predators, coffin spoons, Kastmasters. Bite turned off about 1PM. No trout today. Ice was good. All the old slushy snowmobile tracks were really slippery. There was 1-2” of snow on top of the ice.  When I left the edges were a tiny bit soft for maybe 1’. Fish would show up once your jig hit the bottom. Several times the finder was stacked with fish from 50’-45’. I also didn’t see any suspended fish. Kind of disappointed there weren’t any trout.

Glad you found them!  I usually don't move around too much, so didn't try deeper.  Thanks for the information.