Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Sat. 1-14
Been a while since I had anything to report on fishing events (hey, it's been duck season, and just had to get that 1 last bird)..and for a couple weeks now our weather hasn't been conducive to a trek out on the ice...earlier in the week I just decided to look for myself, and hiked down the slope to check the edges...they were fine, very solid..but then we got rain and snow again..weather looked ok for today, so I just went, this time with gear...I figured getting there by 0730 would be ok for parking..Nope, not on this Saturday..all designated parking on the West, the highway side, were full, so my  spot, like others before and after me, was the ditch side of the highway..I don't normally go on Saturdays, so maybe it's like this all the time..So yes, there were plenty of people scattered all around, but not many by the dam..ice was a solid 6", and several sno dogs were doing their thing..ingress/egress path was solidly packed for my location...Fishing was just okay for dozens of the dink perch, and only a few of the jumbos..water is up 3' from the last time I was here, about 2 weeks ago..today the perch would not hit a dead stick for me, no matter what I offered them, just the teasing, 'Up and down the ladder' action...My best set was white/red Demon jig with smaller eyeball..and I had limited success with half meal worm, wax worm, spikes, and cut perch belly...I think the slower bite today was because of heavy winds blowing in the next storm...grateful for my red ice shelter today...Guluk...
Thanks for the report. How deep did you find them?
Geese were landing on our dry farm over Christmas. Sure made me wish I had a few decoys and a blind set up. Good to see more positive RP reports. Hopefully one from us soon
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-15-2023, 05:32 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Been a while since I had anything to report on fishing events (hey, it's been duck season, and just had to get that 1 last bird)..and for a couple weeks now our weather hasn't been conducive to a trek out on the ice...earlier in the week I just decided to look for myself, and hiked down the slope to check the edges...they were fine, very solid..but then we got rain and snow again..weather looked ok for today, so I just went, this time with gear...I figured getting there by 0730 would be ok for parking..Nope, not on this Saturday..all designated parking on the West, the highway side, were full, so my  spot, like others before and after me, was the ditch side of the highway..I don't normally go on Saturdays, so maybe it's like this all the time..So yes, there were plenty of people scattered all around, but not many by the dam..ice was a solid 6", and several sno dogs were doing their thing..ingress/egress path was solidly packed for my location...Fishing was just okay for dozens of the dink perch, and only a few of the jumbos..water is up 3' from the last time I was here, about 2 weeks ago..today the perch would not hit a dead stick for me, no matter what I offered them, just the teasing, 'Up and down the ladder' action...My best set was white/red Demon jig with smaller eyeball..and I had limited success with half meal worm, wax worm, spikes, and cut perch belly...I think the slower bite today was because of heavy winds blowing in the next storm...grateful for my red ice shelter today...Guluk...

Good to hear the conditions have improved, too bad all the good spots for parking were taken. If you don't mind me asking ,why didn't you just drive into the park and walk out from one of the spots on that side of the lake?
Great report. It's looking like a week of cold weather is headed our way and I wouldn't mind a few days out on Rockport. It'll be a nice change from the pineapple express to make things a little more solid.
Let's hope Lake Powell will get 40' feet if this keeps up.
My depth this day was 44/45'.....Curtis, I don't know, just a habit I think...and once in a while when I/we want to play with the rainbows, I'm a lot closer to that shallower South end of the res.....Hope you all don't mind me giving a tip....This is mainly for some of you that may be new to perch fishing (or crappie)..I grew up in central Wisconsin A LOT of years ago, and my Dad would take us boys out on the ice, but we never had any shelter for fishing..once in a while he'd take the old Hudson out on the ice, but the holes in the floor weren't quite big enough to fish through! Most days it was Really cold, and sometimes Really windy, making it hard to concentrate on fishing, much less noticing a possible bite...Playing on the ice was fun, sliding or ice skating was fun, even fighting with my brothers was sorta fun...the ice fishing was not fun...too cold or windy, no shelter...no fish...This is what I was thinking on Saturday, in my red shelter, as I was able to detect the slightest movement of my spring bobber, and at least have a chance of catching something...that perch (or crappie) bite is usually SO slight, it's nearly impossible to detect in the wind, and in the very cold temps, you (or your kids) will have hands in coat pockets or gloves on, and you just can't react fast enough to hook them...believe me, that was me also here in Utah, 'til about 15 years ago getting my first shelter...The Huge Majority out on the ice Saturday, kids included,were out in the open, and certainly that can be okay for awhile, but not for catching perch, or crappie...kids want to catch fish, and so do I....My high recommendation is to get some type of shelter, used off the internet if necessary..You will see your fishing success go up, kids (and you) less sun/wind burn, and maybe stay out on the ice a little longer....Guluk..
(01-16-2023, 03:43 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: My depth this day was 44/45'.....Curtis, I don't know, just a habit I think...and once in a while when I/we want to play with the rainbows, I'm a lot closer to that shallower South end of the res.....Hope you all don't mind me giving a tip....This is mainly for some of you that may be new to perch fishing (or crappie)..I grew up in central Wisconsin A LOT of years ago, and my Dad would take us boys out on the ice, but we never had any shelter for fishing..once in a while he'd take the old Hudson out on the ice, but the holes in the floor weren't quite big enough to fish through! Most days it was Really cold, and sometimes Really windy, making it hard to concentrate on fishing, much less noticing a possible bite...Playing on the ice was fun, sliding or ice skating was fun, even fighting with my brothers was sorta fun...the ice fishing was not fun...too cold or windy, no shelter...no fish...This is what I was thinking on Saturday, in my red shelter, as I was able to detect the slightest movement of my spring bobber, and at least have a chance of catching something...that perch (or crappie) bite is usually SO slight, it's nearly impossible to detect in the wind, and in the very cold temps, you (or your kids) will have hands in coat pockets or gloves on, and you just can't react fast enough to hook them...believe me, that was me also here in Utah, 'til about 15 years ago getting my first shelter...The Huge Majority out on the ice Saturday, kids included,were out in the open, and certainly that can be okay for awhile, but not for catching perch, or crappie...kids want to catch fish, and so do I....My high recommendation is to get some type of shelter, used off the internet if necessary..You will see your fishing success go up, kids (and you) less sun/wind burn, and maybe stay out on the ice a little longer....Guluk..
Good advice Joe, on the shelter part. As far as getting to the South end to catch bows, you can do the same thing on the State parks side, there are camp grounds straight across from those pull offs on the main road. Just a few years ago Ira and I use to walk out from the camp grounds and it's about the same walking distance to the good spots and the hill is not as steep going back up but I hear you on going to a certain spot just being a habit.
(01-16-2023, 04:05 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 03:43 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: My depth this day was 44/45'.....Curtis, I don't know, just a habit I think...and once in a while when I/we want to play with the rainbows, I'm a lot closer to that shallower South end of the res.....Hope you all don't mind me giving a tip....This is mainly for some of you that may be new to perch fishing (or crappie)..I grew up in central Wisconsin A LOT of years ago, and my Dad would take us boys out on the ice, but we never had any shelter for fishing..once in a while he'd take the old Hudson out on the ice, but the holes in the floor weren't quite big enough to fish through! Most days it was Really cold, and sometimes Really windy, making it hard to concentrate on fishing, much less noticing a possible bite...Playing on the ice was fun, sliding or ice skating was fun, even fighting with my brothers was sorta fun...the ice fishing was not fun...too cold or windy, no shelter...no fish...This is what I was thinking on Saturday, in my red shelter, as I was able to detect the slightest movement of my spring bobber, and at least have a chance of catching something...that perch (or crappie) bite is usually SO slight, it's nearly impossible to detect in the wind, and in the very cold temps, you (or your kids) will have hands in coat pockets or gloves on, and you just can't react fast enough to hook them...believe me, that was me also here in Utah, 'til about 15 years ago getting my first shelter...The Huge Majority out on the ice Saturday, kids included,were out in the open, and certainly that can be okay for awhile, but not for catching perch, or crappie...kids want to catch fish, and so do I....My high recommendation is to get some type of shelter, used off the internet if necessary..You will see your fishing success go up, kids (and you) less sun/wind burn, and maybe stay out on the ice a little longer....Guluk..
Good advice Joe, on the shelter part. As far as getting to the South end to catch bows, you can do the same thing on the State parks side, there are camp grounds straight across from those pull offs on the main road. Just a few years ago Ira and I use to walk out from the camp grounds and it's about the same walking distance to the good spots and the hill is not as steep going back up but I hear you on going to a certain spot just being a habit.
Hey Curtis...Many years ago, when we just started ice fishing at RP, those camp grounds were our entry point, as we were just targeting the rainbows...didn't know much about the perch here then...several years after that, we 'discovered' the perch out in the middle with grandkids and their dad..that was probably 15 years ago..then buddies and I'd fish the trout, sometimes the perch, then later perch and sometimes trout..now I'm targeting the perch in Winter (learned my lesson) and once in awhile trolling for the 'bows in Summer/Fall...So now I don't have much reason to come in from the camp ground areas..at least 'til I can no longer traverse the steeper West side points of entry...which does get harder each year!....TIP #2....(again, for perch newbies) If you're going to fish perch with 2 rods, have them close enough so you can reach either one when you get that tiny bite..Yesterday (Wed.) during a lull in the late morning action here at RP, I got out of my shelter for a little stretch, and walked over to a guy not too far from me, standing out in the open between his 2 rods, which were about 10 ft apart..Nice guy (not a BFTer) we chatted a little, said he liked to stand, had also been there a couple hours, hadn't been doing any good..his shelter tent was still in his sled, said he and his buddy (a ways off) liked to move around to find the fish..while we chatted, one of his poles had one of those tiny taps - 5 ft away - and of course it didn't hit again when he got to it...it was cold, he had hands in his pockets...An hour later, taking another break, I hollered to see how he was doing..he happily hollered back that he'd caught 1 of those jumbos, while back in my tent, I'd caught 4 more of those, with 2 rods and handles close enough that I could concentrate on either one watching the screen, and looking at spring bobber for that tiny movement..And Maybe..just use 1 rod if you can't react fast enough watching 2 rods....Guluk...
Hey Joe lots of good info in your post, can I add one more thing that really helped me with perch? I use my camera and watch my jig... Those guys are masters at sucking it in and not making any indication top side, when I use the camera I can tell when it's in their mouth and so I know when to lift and hook them... Problem is it takes time to set up a camera and so I don't do it often enough, but it for sure helps my catch rate and entertains kids and adults... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-20-2023, 01:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Joe lots of good info in your post, can I add one more thing that really helped me with perch?  I use my camera and watch my jig... Those guys are masters at sucking it in and not making any indication top side, when I use the camera I can tell when it's in their mouth and so I know when to lift and hook them... Problem is it takes time to set up a camera and so I don't do it often enough, but it for sure helps my catch rate and entertains kids and adults... Later Jeff

Hey Jeff -- You still trying Hyrum?...I've surely thought about getting a camera for the perch...guess if I'd have a snowmobile or sno dog to pull all my gear I'd add that, and maybe even get a heavier thermal shelter for the very cold mornings we've got coming up...I'm usually in 40 to 45' of water, and have heard some guys say that at that depth they're not able to see much on the bottom...do you find that to be the case?
(01-21-2023, 05:31 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 01:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Joe lots of good info in your post, can I add one more thing that really helped me with perch?  I use my camera and watch my jig... Those guys are masters at sucking it in and not making any indication top side, when I use the camera I can tell when it's in their mouth and so I know when to lift and hook them... Problem is it takes time to set up a camera and so I don't do it often enough, but it for sure helps my catch rate and entertains kids and adults... Later Jeff

Hey Jeff -- You still trying Hyrum?...I've surely thought about getting a camera for the perch...guess if I'd have a snowmobile or sno dog to pull all my gear I'd add that, and maybe even get a heavier thermal shelter for the very cold mornings we've got coming up...I'm usually in 40 to 45' of water, and have heard some guys say that at that depth they're not able to see much on the bottom...do you find that to be the case?

I have an aqua-vu and you’re right you can only see 2-3 feet out front when you’re 40-50’ down but I find that the perch are often curious enough if you’re in a school they just kinda slowly side eye the camera it’s kinda funny to watch them.
(01-21-2023, 04:23 PM)T-Boz Wrote:

I have an aqua-vu and you’re right you can only see 2-3 feet out front when you’re 40-50’ down but I find that the perch are often curious enough if you’re in a school they just kinda slowly side eye the camera it’s kinda funny to watch them.
Hey T-Boz...tks for your input...still curious though..are you using it all the time when you're on ice for perch/crappie? is it a real benefit, or more of a novelty that sometimes you'd rather leave home and just rely on your fishfinder?..
(01-23-2023, 03:53 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 04:23 PM)T-Boz Wrote:

Hey T-Boz...tks for your input...still curious though..are you using it all the time when you're on ice for perch/crappie? is it a real benefit, or more of a novelty that sometimes you'd rather leave home and just rely on your fishfinder?..
I don’t use it often honestly because my fish finder is much more useful! I think it’s more of a novelty than anything, but if I gave it the patience necessary it could be very useful in finding what the perch want to eat as far as bait and different presentations. But it is kinda nice seeing what’s actually at the bottom as far as fish and structure. I usually always bring it with me but don’t always set it up.